Thread: TV presenter Jeremy Beadle dies aged 59

Default TV presenter Jeremy Beadle dies aged 59

TV presenter Jeremy Beadle has died after a short battle with pneumonia, his agent said this evening.

His wife Sue and close friends were at his bedside.
    The star, 59, had been in a coma during his last hours after being admitted to a North London hospital last week. Scroll down for more...
    Prankster: Popular TV joker Jeremy Beadle died today aged 59

The star, best known for the shows Beadle's About and You've Been Framed, leaves his wife, daughters Cassie and Bonnie, and step children Leo and Claire.
    In a statement, Beadle's agent, Nick Canham said: "Our heartfelt condolences go to his wife Sue, his two daughters, Cassie and Bonnie and his stepchildren Leo and Claire. He will be greatly missed."
    A spokesman added: "In 2005, Jeremy was diagnosed with cancer, but did not let the condition affect his day to day life.
    "In the autumn of 2007 he released 3 new books, and prior to his illness, was busy working on a series of television formats.
    "Jeremy was one of ITV's biggest ever stars, with Beadle's About and You've Been Framed regularly pulling in audiences in excess of 15 million.
    "Throughout his life, Jeremy was one of the most significant fundraisers for Children with Leukaemia and is estimated to have raised over 100 million for charities of all description. He was awarded an MBE in 2001." Scroll down for more...
    Television personality Jeremy Beadle with his wife Sue and daughters Cassie, left and Bonnie, at Buckingham Palace, where he recieved an MBE from the Queen

In 2004, Beadle discovered he had developed cancer of the kidney and underwent a successful operation to remove it.
    However, in April 2005, a blood test during a routine post-op medical checkup led to him being diagnosed with leukaemia.
    As the condition was caught in its early stages, Beadle was successfully treated for this too, though two serious illnesses in such a short space of time were detrimental to his general state of health.
    Tributes poured in last night for the ITV stalwart. TV rival prankster and presenter Noel Edmonds said: "I am so shocked at the news. I didn't realise he was so ill.
    "We enjoyed a friendly rivalry over the years when I was doing the Late Late Breakfast Show and he was hosting Game For A Laugh.
    "He was a consummate professional but also a greatly misunderstood man - a great TV talent who was never truly appreciated.
    "This is a sad loss for TV and a great shame that a new audience have lost Jeremy Beadle." Scroll down for more...
    Game for a laugh: Beadle with presenters of the show Matthew Kelly, Henry Kelly and Sarah Kennedy

Radio 2 Legend Terry Wogan, who inspired a young Beadle, told Mail Online: "He was a researcher on my very first TV talk show in the early 1980s. He was always a lovely fellow. Everybody got on well with him.
    "Obviously he went on to much greater things, forming his own career as a performer. He was a great talent and so young at 59. The only memories I have of him are positive. It's very sad."
    His friend and eighties co-presenter Henry Kelly said: "Jeremy and I were firm friends for more than 30 years. I loved and admired him.
    "But he was also a most wonderful friend to have and the most entertaining company you could possible imagine. My thoughts are with Sue his wife and his family."
    Carol Vorderman, who worked with Beadle on Countdown said: "It's very sad news. He often came on to dictionary corner on Countdown, and Richard was very fond of him.
    "He just loved all kinds of information. You could ask him about anything and he would know about it."
    Richard and Judy said they would remember Beadle with "immense fondness".
    They said: "We've known him for many years and he was frequently a guest on our programmes.
    "In fact when we were surprised by Michael Aspel on This Is You Life one of the pleasantest shocks of all was the little film that Jeremy had made with our children Jack and Chloe where they dressed up as us and grilled him.
    "Afterward he insisted on entertaining the children whilst we enjoyed our party.
    "He was kind hearted, generous to a fault and we were deeply saddened to hear of his death."
    DJ Sarah Kennedy, who worked with Beadle on the 1980s show Game for a Laugh, said tonight she was "very, very sad" that he had died.
    Entrepreneur Sir Alan Sugar and his wife, Ann, were close friends of the star.
    He said tonight: "Jeremy was a great friend of mine and one of the most charitably minded and generous people I have ever come across.
    "He did so much work behind the scenes for many great causes that many people aren't aware of. He was also one of the greatest comedy talents of our generation - he made millions laugh and he will never be forgotten." Scroll down for more...
    Beadle's About: He became the prankster viewers loved to hate with his hidden camera show

Publicist Max Clifford, who had been close friends since working for EMI Records when Beadle was a radio DJ, told the Mail Online: "It's an extremely sad day.
    "I knew Jeremy extremely well for 40 years and was glad to call him a friend.
    "He was someone who has helped to save literally thousands of young lives thanks to his tireless work for sufferers of leukaemia.
    Eddie O'Gorman, founder of Children With Leukaemia and close friend of Beadle, who chaired the charity's celebrity support group, said: "We are all devastated by this very sad news.
    "Jeremy was not only a close personal friend and an extraordinary entertainer, he was one of the most dedicated supporters this charity has ever seen. He will be sorely missed."
    Dianne Nelmes, executive producer of the You've Been Framed series when it launched, said: "He was one of the most genuine, hard-working, lovely people I have ever worked with.
    "Because of You've Been Framed and Beadle's About he had a reputation as someone who was forever playing tricks on people, but in reality he was the kindest person you could ever meet," said Nelmes, who is now ITV's director of lifestyle programming.
    "At the end of each show he would spend hours chatting to members of the public who had appeared on it. Even when he was exhausted, he would always find the time to talk to them all."
    Paul Jackson, ITV's director of entertainment, said: "We are incredibly saddened to hear the news and our sympathy goes to Jeremy's family.
    "Game For A Laugh and Beadle's About were some of the most popular programmes ever seen on British television.
    "Jeremy entertained a whole generation of viewers and of course was the original host of You've Been Framed. He appeared the ultimate joker and a consummate prankster. He had a brilliant brain which never stopped thinking of new ideas and formats.
    "Privately he was a deeply caring man who worked tirelessly for charity and he will be sorely missed." Scroll down for more...
    Unwell: Former You've Been Framed host Jeremy Beadle, seen left in July 2007 and right in 2004

Uri Geller met Beadle in the 1970s after being introduced by David Dimbleby.
    He told the Mail Online: "I am shocked. I just landed in Munich and my wife told me he died.
    "We were good friends. I saw him not long ago, when he was at a charity event. He was such a nice man."
    Geller continued: "He gave up so much of his time for charity. I know for a fact that he cancelled performances to raise money for charity.
    "He was always charming and a nice person with a lot of sense of humour. He was loyal, meticulous in what he did and he was a perfectionist. Every time he used to come over to my house he would bring presents to my children."
    Born in Hackney, he attended Orpington County Secondary Boys' School and then had an adventurous youth travelling and working throughout Europe.
    He worked as a taxi driver, tour guide, music festival promoter, co-edited Time Out London and edited Time Out in the North West.
    He worked as a radio presenter on BBC Radio 3 and later on BBC Radio 4 became chairman of Animal, Vegetable, Mineral? and a late night BBC Radio 2 show, Nightline.
    He also worked for LBC during London during the late 1970s and Capital Radio before turning to television.
    His breakthrough was as one of the presenters of Game for a Laugh with Matthew Kelly, Henry Kelly and Sarah Kennedy - the first time ITV "won" the Saurday night ratings battle.
    Between 1987 and 1996, he hosted and starred in Beadle's About, the world's longest continuously-running hidden camera show.
    From 1990 until 1997 he presented You've Been Framed!, a show featuring humorous clips from viewers' home video recordings.
    But despite his glittering career in television, the star recently said he was disappointed with modern television.
    He said: "I'm much more focused on writing. I've got three books out at the moment.
    "I made my money on the screen but it was the ink that really made it for me. I don't do any TV now: they offer **** and pay even less.
    Despite his recent ill-health, Mr Beadle continued to work as a consultant for many television companies, while also writing books and presenting quizzes both commercially and for charity.
    Beadle had Poland Syndrome - a rare birth defect with underdevelopment or absence of the chest muscle on one side of the body and webbing of the fingers of the hand on the same side. He was one of the first TV presenters with a visible disability which manifested as a disproportionately small right hand.

TV's king of the pranksters Jeremy Beadle dies of pneumonia, aged 59 | the Daily Mail

RIP Jeremy . I remember watching him on TV when i was a kid

god I used to love 'you've been framed' did't know he was ill....RIP Beadle!

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

i only know his name from hearing edwina say it on Ab Fab, "Jeremy bloody Beadle!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rondette View Post
    god I used to love 'you've been framed' did't know he was ill....RIP Beadle!
    "you've been framed" went downhill when he left the show
    Last edited by sharon_b; January 30th, 2008 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    i only know his name from hearing edwina say it on Ab Fab, "Jeremy bloody Beadle!"
    Me too!!! And had no idea what the hell she was talking about till now.

RIP!

He's the second famous person in a week who has died of pneumonia, the other being Christian Brando. I thought this was easily treatable nowadays. I've never heard of him myself but I'm sorry he died so young.

Silver Member

I remember him from Beadle's About

He was a lovely man, and actually in a really pathetic way I was sad when I heard this news. He actually had the good grace to walk away from the industry and not force himself on the public, instead focusing on charity work and raising nearly 100 million pounds.

RIP Jeremy

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD View Post
    Me too!!! And had no idea what the hell she was talking about till now.

RIP!
    i know, us americans! but slowly i get to exposed to shit from that show and get it eventually

Silver Member

RIP
    he seemed like a nice man whenever he was interviewed and well you've been framed went down hill after he quit it

Thread Information