Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yoko Ono sells John Lennon out

Default Yoko Ono sells John Lennon out

The ever greedy Yoko Ono has sold the late John Lennon out once again. Ono has sold an obscure home recording of Lennon’s to JCPenny to be used in their Christmas TV commercials. The song is called “Real Love.”
    The spot began airing on Sunday night during ABC’s “Brothers & Sisters” before JCPenney could even make the announcement.
    The Beatles have had their songs licensed for commercials in the past, but with the rare exception of perhaps “Revolution” years ago, they never have allowed master recordings out. The songs are always re-recorded.
    Ad agency Saatchi and Saatchi handled the deal, I’m told, with Ono directly. The much-disliked widow of Lennon has sold a number of items under her late husband’s name over the years, including glasses, art and an action figure. But using a rare, acoustic home recording — and a beautiful, haunting one at that — as the Christmas song for a department store seems particularly greedy.
    Many fans of The Beatles have always credited Yoko with being the driving force behind the break-up of one of the greatest bands of all-time. She always had John’s ear and he let her guide his career and music decisions up until he was killed by a deranged fan.
    Yoko Ono Sells John Lennon Out--Bumpshack.com

I don't agree with her decision at all, but it's hers to sell.

I actually think Yoko has been pretty reserved when it comes to selling out a lot of John's stuff. While maybe not the best decision, it could have easily been a lot worse over the years. I think she has done a pretty good job keep his memory sacred. But I am one of the rare ones that like Yoko.

My my, didn't we all just dip our tongues in some acid today.

I don't mind her. I don't believe she broke the Beatles up -- and the other Beatles refuted that claim, too. Like most partnerships, John and Paul's had run its course and they both wanted out.

She exerted a lot of control over John but as he said himself, it's what he wanted. She is good with money -- her father was a very successful banker in Japan -- and she has some very creative ideas where art is concerned.

Elite Member

Oh please - haven't you heard "all you need is luv's", the diaper commercial? I almost fell over when I heard it.

Yoko doesn't own the rights. I believe that Michael Jackson bought them years ago. Not all of them but half if I remember correctly. Paul was even ticked off because he had suggested that Michael buy up song right when they were making the ebony and Ivory song back in the 80's.

^^ Michael Jackson doesn't own the rights to John Lennon's personal possessions. The song in the article was a Lennon song, not one done collectively by the Beatles.

She's been rather good with selling his stuff.

Its not like she's gone all Courtney Love with the memorabilia!

Quote Originally Posted by crackho View Post
    I actually think Yoko has been pretty reserved when it comes to selling out a lot of John's stuff. While maybe not the best decision, it could have easily been a lot worse over the years. I think she has done a pretty good job keep his memory sacred. But I am one of the rare ones that like Yoko.
    i like her too.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Janet296 View Post
    Yoko doesn't own the rights. I believe that Michael Jackson bought them years ago. Not all of them but half if I remember correctly. Paul was even ticked off because he had suggested that Michael buy up song right when they were making the ebony and Ivory song back in the 80's.
    Actually, Paul McCartney had mentioned to Michael Jackson that he (Paul) wanted to purchase the rights to the Beatles songs and when he couldn't gather the money, Michael went behind his back and bought them himself. This was during the filming of the video of The Girl Is Mine, as I recall. Paul sang Ebony and Ivory with Stevie Wonder.

I agree...I never got the impression she was selling him out, and why would she, I'm sure she's got more $$$ than she could ever use...I think she's interesting, very interesting....she's definitely got something. She's still a force to be reckoned with, for sure.

Yoko should get down on her knees every night and thank the Lord for Heather Mills. Yoko is no longer is the most hated Beatle wife!

(or whatever form of worship to whatever deity she prefers. Or not, whatever. I'm not up on Yoko's religiosity...)
    Last edited by heathersharon; November 14th, 2007 at 11:19 PM. Reason: too narrow minded

Down Under - Where women blow and men chunder

I think Yoko has been pretty respectful of the Lennon collection that she has.
    She definately doesn't need the money.
    I think most Beatles fans would like to hear unreleased John songs, even if it is for an ad. It introduces him to a new generation.
    A lot of music in ads have been given a new lease of life.
    So I think it's a great idea.

"random snapshots used as connective tissue to create a relationship"

As long as he doesn't end up dancing in a GAP commercial, like poor Audrey Hepburn, I'm happy.
    President Barack Obama
    Sounds amazing, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Yoko Ono View Post
    I think Yoko has been pretty respectful of the Lennon collection that she has.
    She definately doesn't need the money.
    I think most Beatles fans would like to hear unreleased John songs, even if it is for an ad. It introduces him to a new generation.
    A lot of music in ads have been given a new lease of life.
    So I think it's a great idea.
    Well, I was gonna say "it's not like she needs the money, so why would she do this",
    but you do make a good point.

Still, it seems like she would keep something special like this for John's children.... or Sean rather. I don't think she has ever wanted poor Julian to have anything. They treated that kid like DIRT.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information