Thread: Madonna lands 60m luxury recording contract

Default Madonna lands 60m luxury recording contract

Madonna has sounded the death knell for the traditional music contract with a new 60 million deal giving her a hefty slice of her touring and recording profits.

The superstar has become the latest to defy the music industry's set-up by ditching her long-term record label Warner Brothers Records.
    Instead she is poised to sign a lucrative deal with concert promoters Live Nation, which will not only look after her world tours and merchandise but will also release her new albums. Scroll down for more
    Money matters: Madonna celebrates her lucrative deal yesterday with a trip to the gym

The 10-year contract will rely on her touring until she is 60 years old - but in return she can expect half the cash upfront and valuable stocks in her merchandise.
    The 49-year-old singer had been contracted to Warner since 1983 but was persuaded to join Live Nation, which last year helped her Confessions tour rake in 43 million, the highest-grossing tour ever by a female artist.
    After their success in promoting the tour, Madonna has apparently decided to put her entire musical career in their hands.
    It marks a growing move by artists to take control of their acts away from record companies. Traditionally artists signed deals which only gave record companies a stake in their albums - but there has been an increase in the number of companies angling to cover all aspects of the music industry to include tours, products and album sales.
    Cross to bear: Madonna performing earlier this year

The loss of Madonna will come as a huge blow to Warner, which reportedly battled to keep her by looking into a deal to cover her tour ticket sales but failed to match the 60 million offer.
    The deal comes as a coup for Live Nation as Madonna is its biggest signing. She is expected to receive a signing bonus of nearly 9 million and an advance payment of more than 8 million for each of three albums over a decade.
    But it will be some time before she can join her new managers as she is still contracted to release a new album with Warner next year and a greatest hits record.
    The singer, who has been among Warner's bestselling artists for more than 20 years, accepted the new offer last week, according to industry insiders.
    Live Nation, the world's largest live music company, will have exclusive rights to promote the pop icon's tours and will give Madonna shares in the revenue.
    The firm can also sell Madonna merchandise and license her name.
    The move shows that traditional record deals are no longer as lucrative and comes in the wake of Radiohead recently inviting fans to download their latest album and pay as much as they thought it was worth.
    Sales averaged less than the cost of a CD with most fans paying about 7 and crashing the band's website.
    Last month Prince also set a new trend by offering his new album for free with the Daily Mail's sister paper, the Mail on Sunday.
    British Phonographic Industry spokesman Matt Phillips said: "Artists have far more choice about who they work with.
    "Modern music companies are no longer simply record labels or just publishers, promoters or merchandisers but are providing a bunch of those services under one roof."
    Warner Music will still retain Madonna's full music catalogue from her 1983 debut album to the present day, including hits such as Like a Virgin and Music. Both Warner Music and Live Nation declined to comment.

I just like a payer: Madonna lands 60m luxury recording contract | the Daily Mail

I haven't liked her music for years; it has sucked.

I actually laughed out loud when I saw her in her adidas tracky!
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

Hate me all you want, I can take it. I love Madonna and I always will (ducks down and hovers from pieces of flying debris).

My my, didn't we all just dip our tongues in some acid today.

Jesus - she's almost 50? I didn't realize that. She looks pretty stinking good then for that age. And I think if she continues to take care of herself like she has in the last ten to fifteen years, she'll be good to go for another 10.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Hit By Ban Bus!

I think it was a year and a half ago that she had some major face work done (before the Oscar parties). Her hands still look awful, but the cosmetic surgeon did an amazing job on her face. That, and her makeup artist. But it does look like she gets killer facials.

Even though I think Madonna's useless and played out, I'll give her credit for one thing. She knows how to market herself better than any other entertainer on the planet. It's for that reason alone that she still has a career.

Jeez, "Madge."

....Can I have $20 million? Come on, it won't kill you.

blech, LiveNation is a freakin racket. they are making it almost impossible to get tickets at face value anymore.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Elite Member DoveFeatheredRaven's Avatar

I don't care for Madonna's stuff of late either BUT she is a hell of a business woman and has had a long career. I admire her staying power.

Thread Information