• 1 Post By Chalet
  • 1 Post By KrisNine

Thread: Les McKeown, who fronted the Bay City Rollers, dies at 65

Default Les McKeown, who fronted the Bay City Rollers, dies at 65

Les McKeown, who fronted the Bay City Rollers, dies at 65

by The Associated Press
    Posted Apr 22, 2021 4:12 pm EDT
    Last Updated Apr 22, 2021 at 4:24 pm EDT

FILE - In this Jan. 16, 1976 file photo, Scottish pop group the Bay City Rollers are seen performing during the taping of a local New York City kids' television program "Wonderama". McKeown, the former lead singer of 1970s pop sensation Bay City Rollers, has died suddenly at the age of 65, his family said Thursday, April 22, 2021. A statement from his family posted on social media said: “It is with profound sadness that we announce the death of our beloved husband and father Leslie Richard McKeown.” (AP Photo/Marty Lederhandler, file)

LONDON — Les McKeown, the former lead singer of the 1970s Scottish pop sensation Bay City Rollers, has died suddenly at the age of 65, his family said Thursday.
    A statement from his family posted on social media said: “It is with profound sadness that we announce the death of our beloved husband and father Leslie Richard McKeown.” The Scottish singer died at home on Tuesday, it added.
    Formed at the end of the 1960s, the Bay City Rollers enjoyed huge success in Britain and abroad with their tartan outfits and pop tunes like “Bye Bye Baby,” “Shang-a-Lang” and “Give a Little Love.” They had a fanatical teen following and sold more than 100 million records. Some in the British media called them the “biggest group since the Beatles”.
    McKeown was born in Edinburgh to Irish parents and joined the Bay City Rollers in late 1973, replacing founding lead singer Gordon “Nobby” Clark.
    Among those paying tribute Thursday was former British home secretary Jacqui Smith, who wrote on Twitter: “One of my first loves. I’m feeling some teen heartache but know it’ll be very real for his family and friends.”
    The band split up in 1978 and reunited in 2015 for a string of sold-out performances.
    Alan Longmuir, a founding member of the Bay City Rollers who played multiple instruments including bass guitar and keyboards, died in 2018 at age 70.
    The Associated Press
    https://toronto.citynews.ca/2021/04/...rs-dies-at-65/

Aww, this is so sad. My older cousin introduced me to the Bay City Roller when I was just a kid. Not even a tween yet LOL. But I fell in love with this band.

They were so HUGE when I was a kid, the day they arrived in Australia one of the girls at school went crazy and ran laps around the playground screaming her head off and knocking over garbage bins. Then she scratched "Woody" into her arm with a compass and had to go the sick bay. Good times.

65 is pretty young, they must have been babies when they were the biggest thing in the world. RIP king of tartan.
    holly, tulip and sjankis630 like this.
    Be excellent to each other.

I saw them when I was 7. They opened for Shaun Cassidy! My first concert.
    holly, Novice and tulip like this.

Haha! You two are older than I though! My BFF & I used to go to her house & play their records. I think I still have one somewhere...
    KrisNine likes this.
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I saw them when I was 7. They opened for Shaun Cassidy! My first concert.
    Was Shaun wearing a mid-drift top?

I wasn't a real fan but my fave was Alan cause I thought he was the cutest. My friend and I stood on the corner with clipboards and pens and had disinterested passersby sign our petition that The BCR would never be more popular than the Beatles.

They did start my thing for loving the Scots. From Sheena Easton's accent to the song "I'm Gonna Be (I Would Walk 500 miles). That song! That song!
    KrisNine likes this.

Elite Member

I never really cared for them. I was into The Captain and Tennille (my first concert) and Andy Gibb.

RIP... 65 is young.
    sjankis630 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    Was Shaun wearing a mid-drift top?

I wasn't a real fan but my fave was Alan cause I thought he was the cutest. My friend and I stood on the corner with clipboards and pens and had disinterested passersby sign our petition that The BCR would never be more popular than the Beatles.

They did start my thing for loving the Scots. From Sheena Easton's accent to the song "I'm Gonna Be (I Would Walk 500 miles). That song! That song!

I don't remember the exact outfit, but I know he had an outfit change. He wore a red outfit and changed into a white one. Lots of sequins and satin if I remember correctly. I loved him.

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    They were so HUGE when I was a kid, the day they arrived in Australia one of the girls at school went crazy and ran laps around the playground screaming her head off and knocking over garbage bins. Then she scratched "Woody" into her arm with a compass and had to go the sick bay. Good times.

65 is pretty young, they must have been babies when they were the biggest thing in the world. RIP king of tartan.
    That is such a great story about teenaged ridiculous celebrity love.

I don't remember the exact outfit, but I know he had an outfit change. He wore a red outfit and changed into a white one. Lots of sequins and satin if I remember correctly. I loved him.
    Oh I'd say that's a good amount of detail. He had a great voice. Both parents were fantastic singers. Jack Cassidy's Broadway voice was flawless.

I was a full on David fan.

It's so good.

KrisNine likes this.

Bronze Member

He was really great. I was a huge fan back in the day.

Look at this gem!

mopar likes this.

Look at this gem!

OMG love it. I've never seen that pic before.

Thread Information