Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree398Likes

Thread: Anthony Bourdain Dead at 61

Default Anthony Bourdain Dead at 61

They just announced live on CNN. They said he committed suicide via hanging in a hotel room in France.

How terrible!!!!!!! I’m just speechless.
    RIP

mod edit:

Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl
    Just wanted to put this here in case anyone out there reading this needs it, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline number is 1-800-273-8255. Don't be afraid to reach out.

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    i know several of you have posted the crisis hotline phone number but i just saw that there are text contacts as well:

https://www.crisistextline.org/

text HOME to 741741 in the US and 686868 in Canada. supposedly available in the UK as well but i don't see the code.

Last edited by twitchy2.0; June 12th, 2018 at 08:13 PM.
    C_is_for_Cookie likes this.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

!!!
    This seems like a lot of effort just to marry one of the Jonas Brothers. - ChemicalHelena

No!!! Heartbreaking.

Bronze Member

Horrible. Two high profile people in one week.

Just heard on the radio, I was just talking about him. Sad for his family, such a loss to the entertainment community. He brought so much culture right to our living rooms.

I definitely didn't see that coming. He seemed like the poster child for having it all and having a great attitude.

CNN's Anthony Bourdain dead at 61

Anthony Bourdain was found unresponsive in his hotel room in France early Friday

New York (CNN) — Anthony Bourdain, a gifted storyteller and writer who took CNN viewers around the world, has died. He was 61.

CNN confirmed Bourdain's death on Friday and said the cause of death was suicide.
    "It is with extraordinary sadness we can confirm the death of our friend and colleague, Anthony Bourdain," the network said in a statement Friday morning. "His love of great adventure, new friends, fine food and drink and the remarkable stories of the world made him a unique storyteller. His talents never ceased to amaze us and we will miss him very much. Our thoughts and prayers are with his daughter and family at this incredibly difficult time."
    Bourdain was in France working on an upcoming episode of his award-winning CNN series "Parts Unknown." His close friend Eric Ripert, the French chef, found Bourdain unresponsive in his hotel room Friday morning.
    Anthony Bourdain in Port of Spain, Trinidad on January 4, 2017.

Bourdain was a master of his crafts -- first in the kitchen and then in the media. Through his TV shows and books, he explored the human condition and helped audiences think differently about food, travel and themselves. He advocated for marginalized populations and campaigned for safer working conditions for restaurant staffs.
    Along the way, he received practically every award the industry has to offer.
    In 2013, Peabody Award judges honored Bourdain and "Parts Unknown" for "expanding our palates and horizons in equal measure."
    "He's irreverent, honest, curious, never condescending, never obsequious," the judges said. "People open up to him and, in doing so, often reveal more about their hometowns or homelands than a traditional reporter could hope to document."
    The Smithsonian once called him "the original rock star" of the culinary world, "the Elvis of bad boy chefs."
    In 1999 he wrote a New Yorker article, "Don't Eat Before Reading This," that became a best-selling book in 2000, "Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly."

The book set him on a path to international stardom.
    First he hosted "A Cook's Tour" on the Food Network, then moved to "Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations" on the Travel Channel. "No Reservations" was a breakout hit, earning two Emmy Awards and more than a dozen nominations.
    In 2013 both Bourdain and CNN took a risk by bringing him to the news network still best known for breaking news and headlines. Bourdain quickly became one of the principal faces of the network and one of the linchpins of the prime time schedule.
    Season 11 of "Parts Unknown" premiered on CNN last month.
    While accepting the Peabody award in 2013, Bourdain described how he approached his work.

"We ask very simple questions: What makes you happy? What do you eat? What do you like to cook? And everywhere in the world we go and ask these very simple questions," he said, "we tend to get some really astonishing answers."

Bourdain's death happened after fashion designer Kate Spade hanged herself in an apparent suicide at her Manhattan apartment on Tuesday.
    Suicide is a growing problem in the United States. The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention published a survey Thursday showing suicide rates increased by 25% across the United States over nearly two decades ending in 2016. Twenty-five states experienced a rise in suicides by more than 30%, the government report finds.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/an...bit/index.html
    Last edited by OrangeSlice; June 8th, 2018 at 07:39 AM.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Shit.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oasis View Post
    Horrible. Two high profile people in one week.
    What's going on with all these suicides by hanging. A couple of days ago the niece of our health minister did the same thing. A huge shock.

People who LOOK like they "have it all" - don't. What a shame.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by redcat View Post
    What's going on with all these suicides by hanging. A couple of days ago the niece of our health minister did the same thing. A huge shock.
    As I said, it's contagious. Kate Spade was allegedly obsessed with Robin Williams.
    ADel, Brookie, Honeythorn and 1 others like this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

I think she was obsessed with Robin Williams because she already had long-standing issues with depression. And that he didn't let it on publicly, like her. But his motivation seemed to be the fact that he had been diagnosed with Lewy Body demential
    sputnik, czb, Angeli and 3 others like this.

Elite Member

We’re experiencing such a mental health crisis. I pray all of those suffering find meaningful help and peace.

Listening to Elvis Duran and he just stated something I find so powerful. Gist: “Why do we talk about suicide and mental health only when it makes news? This should be a conversation we have every day.”
    tulip, holly, Bluebonnet and 4 others like this.

Gutted. He was the last guy I ever thought that would take his own life. Ruhlmann and Ripert must be devastated. They were all real tight with each other...was talking about him not too long ago with some friends...we commiserated over the softening of his snark once he became a dad. So sad.
    sprynkles, sputnik and KrisNine like this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Depressing to see another celeb suicide

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information