Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Denzel Washington: "I Don't Want Movie Star Friends" Because "I'm Not a Butt Kisser"

Default Denzel Washington: "I Don't Want Movie Star Friends" Because "I'm Not a Butt Kisser"

Denzel Washington steers clear of Hollywood hobnobbing whenever possible. In a Jan. 24 interview with The Guardian, the Flight actor told the British newspaper that he doesn't spend much time with his celebrity peers.
    "Even within the industry, I don't have any actor friends. My friends are old friends," Washington, 58, admitted. "One's an ex-music guy, the other's a restaurant owner and the other's an ex-pro ballplayer."

When Washington was asked why he doesn't keep in touch with his colleagues, the acclaimed actor laughed loudly. "Because I don't make friends! Maybe I'm not a butt kisser. Maybe I'm not a schmoozer. I'm not about to go to a party to try to get a job," the actor explained. "And then when you have children, the other friends become other parents. We'd coach baseball or basketball. My wife and I were raised right."
    Washington added, "I don't want movie star friends. And being African American, there were no big movie stars to hang out with anyway, not when I was starting out. They were just the third guy from the back! For whatever reason, I never befriended any white actors."
    (The actor's rep later clarified his statements made in the interview, telling Yahoo, "I sat in on this interview. The part they failed to mention was after he said 'never befriended any white actors,' he mentioned 'except,' and then listed Tom Hanks, Mel Gibson, Julia Roberts, etc. They cut the rest of the thought out. The rest is fine, though.")

The two-time Academy Award winner -- known for his roles in Glory, Malcolm X, Philadelphia, The Hurricane, Remember the Titans, Training Day and Inside Man -- said he's uncomfortable with the idea of being famous.
    "I'm a working actor!" Washington -- up for another Best Actor Oscar for his work in Flight -- exclaimed. "What's a celebrity, anyway? Paris Hilton's a celebrity. I'm just a working actor."

Read more: Denzel Washington: "I Don't Want Movie Star Friends" Because "I'm Not a Butt Kisser" - UsMagazine.com
    Follow us: @usweekly on Twitter | usweekly on Facebook

Lost me when he befriended Gibson.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I like that the title truncated to Denzel Washington: "I Don't Want Movie Star Friends" Because "I'm Not a Butt".

I think I've heard an equal amount of good vs. bad about Denzel, I can't really figure him out.
    Sylkyn, Karistiona and olivia like this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

i don't care who he's friends with, i'd love to lick his teeth. He's my crush
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Elite Member

hmmm i usually require butt kissing from my men...tmi?

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    i don't care who he's friends with, i'd love to lick his teeth. He's my crush
    He's my crush too. I find him so sexy.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I detest him. I don't care who he is friends with, but I bet he and Mel swap hate stories on their mutual acquaintances.

I don't get why he said he never befriended white actors. Is it because they're white and he doesn't want to associate with them or vice versa? I just don't understand the point of him saying that. I can see what he's saying by not having any actor friends but what does their skin color have to do with anything?

Quote Originally Posted by SillyME54 View Post
    I don't get why he said he never befriended white actors. Is it because they're white and he doesn't want to associate with them or vice versa? I just don't understand the point of him saying that. I can see what he's saying by not having any actor friends but what does their skin color have to do with anything?
    I agree that's questionable to say the least. It's the same thing as a white person saying, "But I have black friends!" And then he went on to list Tom Hanks (innocuous, no one really hates Tom Hanks), Mel Gibson (nuff said) and Julia Roberts (bitch extraordinaire). And it's sad and kind of weird when you feel the need to list your friends by race.
    Kathie_Moffett and Anoia like this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    I like that the title truncated to Denzel Washington: "I Don't Want Movie Star Friends" Because "I'm Not a Butt".

I think I've heard an equal amount of good vs. bad about Denzel, I can't really figure him out.
    me, neither. like in this interview, at first, when talking about his friends and the industry, he comes off pretty grounded and nice, and then he says that thing about not befriending white actors and being friends with mel gibson.
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

I'm the same Stef, I was having a good chuckle to begin with and then it tapered off. He's still super hot though
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Jodie Foster and Robert Downey Jr also stand by Mel Gibson. As nutty as he is now perhaps he wasn't always.

According to conflicting rumours I remember from when he was with Julia Roberts in Pelican Brief they either befriended the hell out of each other or Denzel threw a hissy fit at the kiss for their characters that had been written in the script and he refused to film it because he didn't want to kiss a white woman. I have a journalist friend who interviewed Denzel at about that time and he said Denzel was rather hostile and seemed to have taken on perhaps a bit too much of his Malcolm X role. The friend felt like he was walking on eggshells the entire interview and being Greek he wasn't sure about not accidentally saying something that Denzel would see as racist. Of all the people he's interviewed (and we're talking about a lot of stars) that experience ranks among the worst.

eva

Quote Originally Posted by Sylkyn View Post
    I detest him. I don't care who he is friends with, but I bet he and Mel swap hate stories on their mutual acquaintances.
    I would pour the shots for that convo!
    Insert witty line here

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    Jodie Foster and Robert Downey Jr also stand by Mel Gibson. As nutty as he is now perhaps he wasn't always.

According to conflicting rumours I remember from when he was with Julia Roberts in Pelican Brief they either befriended the hell out of each other or Denzel threw a hissy fit at the kiss for their characters that had been written in the script and he refused to film it because he didn't want to kiss a white woman. I have a journalist friend who interviewed Denzel at about that time and he said Denzel was rather hostile and seemed to have taken on perhaps a bit too much of his Malcolm X role. The friend felt like he was walking on eggshells the entire interview and being Greek he wasn't sure about not accidentally saying something that Denzel would see as racist. Of all the people he's interviewed (and we're talking about a lot of stars) that experience ranks among the worst.
    I always sense anger in this guy. And arrogance.

Quote Originally Posted by SillyME54 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    I agree that's questionable to say the least. It's the same thing as a white person saying, "But I have black friends!" And then he went on to list Tom Hanks (innocuous, no one really hates Tom Hanks), Mel Gibson (nuff said) and Julia Roberts (bitch extraordinaire). And it's sad and kind of weird when you feel the need to list your friends by race.

yeah, I've found it weird too...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information