Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Janeane Garofalo was married for 20 years and didn't even know it

Default Janeane Garofalo was married for 20 years and didn't even know it

Janeane Garofalo's ‘marriage’ no joke

• Last Updated: 10:22 AM, November 13, 2012
    • Posted: 12:08 AM, November 13, 2012

Janeane Garofalo was married for 20 years and didn’t even know it, until she needed to get divorced Saturday.

She explained at a New York Comedy Festival reunion for “The Ben Stiller Show” that she married a writer on the series — Rob Cohen, who went on to produce “The Big Bang Theory” — in Las Vegas as a joke in the 1990s, and didn’t realize the nuptials had stuck.
    “Rob and I got married, for real, which we had to have a notary dissolve not 30 minutes before we got here tonight,” Garofalo said. “We were married for 20 years until this evening.”
    WireImage
    Janeane Garofalo

She added, “We got married drunk in Vegas . . . We dated for a year, and we got married at a drive-through chapel in a cab. [We thought] you have to go down to the courthouse and sign papers and stuff, so who knew? We were married, and apparently now that [Rob] is getting married for real, his lawyer dug up something.”
    We’re told Cohen, whose credits include HBO’s “The Life & Times of Tim,” is engaged to Jill Leiderman, a producer on “Jimmy Kimmel Live.” While Wikipedia had described Garofalo and Cohen as married, they apparently thought it was all part of the two-decade joke.
    At the reunion, called “Oddly Familiar,” at the Paley Center for Media, director Judd Apatow asked the unwitting exes Garofalo and Cohen if either had benefitted financially from the split, which Garofalo said was notarized at a TD Bank in Midtown.
    “I’m gonna get all of that ‘Reality Bites’ money!” Cohen joked, referring to Garofalo’s 1994 Ethan Hawke-Winona Ryder Generation X drama, which grossed $21 million.
    Recalling their long-ago dating days, Garofalo quipped, “I’m sure I was terrible,” to which Cohen responded, “I will confirm that.” Garofalo added she no longer drinks.
    Also at the reunion panel, sponsored by Svedka vodka, were Stiller, Andy Dick and “Breaking Bad” star Bob Odenkirk, who beamed in via video. Reps for Garofalo, Cohen and Leiderman didn’t get back to us.

Janeane Garofalo discovers she’s been wed for 20 years on day she has marriage dissolved - NYPOST.com
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

When I got married several months ago, there was a TON of paperwork that had to be filled out and submitted (birth certificates, social security cards, marriage license which had to filled out and then turned in within a certain number of days but could not be done on the same day, etc) with the threat that if you failed to submit it in a timely fashion, your marriage wouldn't be valid. I wonder if this would also fuck them over on their taxes, if they were legally married but filing as single for 20 years? Is she serious about this?

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    When I got married several months ago, there was a TON of paperwork that had to be filled out and submitted (birth certificates, social security cards, marriage license which had to filled out and then turned in within a certain number of days but could not be done on the same day, etc) with the threat that if you failed to submit it in a timely fashion, your marriage wouldn't be valid. I wonder if this would also fuck them over on their taxes, if they were legally married but filing as single for 20 years? Is she serious about this?
    I was married in a courthouse a little over 21 years ago, and all I remember was signing in some ledger with my wife and the woman who conducted the ceremony.
    Seapharris7 and holly like this.

^^ I love that you have been married for 21 years and still seem so crazy in love with your wife (just based on the way you write about your wife on this board). That's beautiful. She is one lucky lady!

Sorry for getting mushy.. * cough* how could this have gone unnoticed for so long??
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Each state sets their own requirements for marriages.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Didn't she ever watch Friends?? Or remember Britney Spears getting married?
    sluce and Trixie like this.

It's not a huge hassle to get married here, but OMFG it's a goddamn pain in the ass to get divorced--let alone annulled. Trust me on this one.
    Seapharris7 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post
    ^^ I love that you have been married for 21 years and still seem so crazy in love with your wife (just based on the way you write about your wife on this board). That's beautiful. She is one lucky lady!
    Ditto; that is pretty cool, MKG. Your wife snagged a good one.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by Sylkyn View Post
    It's not a huge hassle to get married here, but OMFG it's a goddamn pain in the ass to get divorced--let alone annulled. Trust me on this one.
    I trust you but it would be more fun if you told the story for verification...
    KrisNine likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Well who can blame them, everyone knows Vegas weddings are all just pretend. *rolleyes* (I would use the rolleyes icon, but the new one sucks)
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

At one of my debate tournaments in high school we stayed in a hotel with a quickie wedding chapel next door. We all made jokes about running next door to get married. Thank God we were too nerdy to get drunk; some of us might have gone through with it! (They make you have parents there if you're under 18 though, right?)
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

This is what happens when you allow straight marriage. They make a mockery out of it.
    mistify, yanna, DeChayz and 3 others like this.

My husband and I got married in Vegas and when we went to the city hall to get our actual marriage license they didn't even ask us for any sort of i.d. It was late at night though and maybe the lady working just wanted to get off work and didn't give two shits. Maybe I am not even married -who knows.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Ditto; that is pretty cool, MKG. Your wife snagged a good one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post

Sorry for getting mushy.. * cough* how could this have gone unnoticed for so long??
    Thanks, guys. I am absolutely crazy about her.

I was married in Vegas and only had to have my birth certificate and drivers license and maybe signed one thing at the court house. As far as taxes go my ex and I were separated for 4 years of our 14 year marriage though it was not an official speparation (he left, wasn't official in court records).. I found out the law (at least here in Oklahoma) states if you are married but living apart in separate residences for at least 6 months (May of been a year but I believe 6 months) you can file as single.. and I did for those 4 years we were separated..

As a side note I'm a firm believer that you should be able to have common law divorce and if living in separate residences for say 3 years you are just automatically divorced.. Would of made my life a hell of a lot easier

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information