Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elizabeth Taylor tells friends and family she doesn't want any more surgeries

Default Elizabeth Taylor tells friends and family she doesn't want any more surgeries

'I can't take it any more': After more than 100 operations, Liz Taylor refuses more surgery
    By David Gardner
    Last updated at 1:45 AM on 31st March 2010

After more than 100 operations in the last quarter of a century, Dame Elizabeth Taylor has had enough.

The Hollywood legend, 78, has reportedly told family and friends that she doesn't want to go under the knife any more, despite suffering crippling neck pain.

Dame Elizabeth has struggled with health problems for much of her life and has already been admitted to hospital in Los Angeles three times this year.

Crippled: Elizabeth Taylor visits her doctor this week. She has told family and friends she does not want any more surgery

Now virtually confined to a wheelchair, she is said to feel 'too tired and weak' to undergo any further surgery.

The London-born actress has survived numerous brushes with death and defied gloomy predictions about her future on countless occasions.

She was once quoted as saying: 'I enter hospitals as often as others enter taxi cabs.'

She has had both hips replaced and had five operations on her back. Her long list of medical problems also includes a brain tumour, skin cancer, diabetes, pneumonia, seizures and a stroke.

She had a risky heart procedure last October to treat her congestive heart failure - a progressive condition in which the heart is too weak to pump sufficient blood around the body.

She is said to be crippled with osteoporosis, a disease that leaves bones
    weak and easily broken.

And friends say she is still suffering excruciating neck pain as a result of her lifelong battle with scoliosis, or curvature of the spine. 'Some mornings her neck is in such acute pain she is barely able to lift her head,' said one report.
    Despite the agony, however, she is said this week to have spurned doctors' pleas to have corrective surgery.

The actress, who has been married eight times, lives alone in Los Angeles.
    Sources claimed Dame Elizabeth was so depressed she spent her 78th birthday alone last month with her staff at her plantation-style mansion.

The Oscar-winner found fame at just 12 in National Velvet. Although the film was the springboard for her career, it was also the start of her chronic back problems after she fell off a horse during filming.

She went on to star in classics such as Cleopatra, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf.

Until now, she has managed to bounce back from her health problems.

And after a trip to hospital in Los Angeles last July, soon after the death of her friend Michael Jackson she reported on Twitter: 'I'm home from hospital sore, but intact. Of course, I'm still grieving for Michael. I always will.
    'But as I said before I went into hospital, "I am a survivor".'

Read more: 'I can't take it any more': After more than 100 operations, Liz Taylor refuses more surgery | Mail Online

let

her

die.

At 78 she looks like she's 115.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

DAMN. She really has had a shitload of problems.

I know, at her age and with her health history, I really don't blame her. If it's her decision, then it's the humane thing to do.

Is that Maltese Sugar? Or is it Sugar II or III.....
    She is a magnificent woman and was a huge Movie Star; she is old now, and needs help to get around and to do the business that keeps one alive.
    She is a legend, and there is only one Elizabeth Taylor. Older and maybe forgetful and broken in body from injuries and sickness, she is still with us.
    And I am grateful for that...
    Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder

Gold Member

I feel really bad for her, she hasn't aged well because of her health. Then there is Raquel Welch who is pushing 70 but looking 50 on Oprah the other day and what a difference.

Um, well Elizabeth did contribute to her own problems with her boozy lifestyle. She seemed to be a bit of a hypochondriac when she was younger. No doubt her medical problems are real enough now, though.

May she die in peace.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

I want those purple furry shoes. They seem perfect for lounging in the winter.

Geez, time has not been kind to her.

All the wealth and fame in the world mean nothing if you don't have your health.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

awwwww I wish her well, I love Dame Elizabeth. 78 is too young to die now-a-days, my grandma was the same age and in extremely poor health as well, but I understand wanting to die with dignity so maybe she's just ready. Although my world will be a little dimmer w/o her

Can't blame Liz for not wanting anymore surgeries. It reaches a point where you just can't do it anymore.

I can't say I blame her. I have a Grandma that will be 75 this year and she recently had hip surgery, and that takes a few months to a year to recover from, I can't imagine two.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quazar View Post
    All the wealth and fame in the world mean nothing if you don't have your health.
    so true

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information