Thread: Earl Spencer comes face-to-face with estranged wife as divorce hearing kicks off

Default Earl Spencer comes face-to-face with estranged wife as divorce hearing kicks off

She took a seat quietly at the back of the court and kicked off her shoes on to the carpet.
    Earl Spencer's ex-wife Caroline was sitting just 12ft from her former husband and their eyes never met.
    Now her final battle over their bitter and broken marriage was about to begin.

Final battle: Earl Spencer, pictured with his eldest daughter Kitty, and his estranged wife Caroline (right) leave the High Court in London after the first day of their divorce settlement hearing

In a cool cream jacket, and tossing her long blonde hair, she sat silently behind two ranks of expensive lawyers in what the judge described as a 'big money case'.
    Here, in a small room stacked with folders and boxes of paperwork, the last stage of her divorce settlement with Princess Diana's brother was due to be thrashed out.
    It was all meant to have happened behind closed doors. But yesterday - despite a united attempt to keep the proceedings private - the 44-year-old Earl and his 41-year-old former wife were forced to accept that it must come under public scrutiny.
    A change in the law compelled Mr Justice Munby to turn down their request that reporters should be excluded - and to rule that the hearing should go ahead in open court.

Estranged: Earl Spencer and Caroline separated three years ago. The father-of-six left her with their two young children

Last night lawyers for both parties were drafting applications for injunctions to restrict certain details in the case.
    After an all-day hearing at the High Court in London, the judge told them that apart from the identities of the two people involved, this was 'a fairly routine big money case', and no different from hundreds of others in the family division.
    He added: 'You can't have one law for the celebrity and another law for those who live their lives in tranquility and anonymity.'
    The court heard there could be 'allegations of conduct on both sides which it may be necessary to explore in evidence.'
    Certain issues in relation to the former couple's children might need to remain private.
    The court is being asked finally to determine just how much Earl Spencer should pay Caroline by way of financial settlement.
    She was granted a 'quickie' decree nisi in March 2007 because of his 'unreasonable behaviour'.
    It brought to an end their six-year marriage. The couple have two children Edmund, five, and Lara, three.
    But there has been no decree absolute because of the continuing row over the financial settlement.
    The Earl left court with his daughter Lady Kitty, 18, one of four children from his first marriage to Victoria Lockwood which ended in divorce in December 1997.

Earl Spencer comes face-to-face with estranged wife as divorce hearing kicks off - but united bid for media blackout is refused | Mail Online

Everything I've read about him suggests he is quite douchey. Perhaps he can be the new Bachelor?

I'm strangely attracted to him.... maybe it's from seeing so much of him when Diana died.. he seemed like such a stodgy and hurt little shit
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Elite Member

The daughter Kitty is beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoAmI View Post
    Everything I've read about him suggests he is quite douchey. Perhaps he can be the new Bachelor?
    I think being a bachelor is what he does best.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    I'm strangely attracted to him.... maybe it's from seeing so much of him when Diana died.. he seemed like such a stodgy and hurt little shit
    yeah i feel the same way.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

A*O

Just another aristo asshole by all accounts. I don't think he's marriage material.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Hit By Ban Bus!

Diana sucked all the looks from that gene pool.

He kinda reminds me of Bill Clinton!!

"Lady Kitty??" Seriously??

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    Diana sucked all the looks from that gene pool.
    You dont think the daughter (on the left) is a stunner?

Hit By Ban Bus!

^^No, if the article didn't mention her age I would assume she was at least 35.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    Yea, that's gotta be it--the whole Diana funeral eulogy (sp?) thing. He seemed so passionate. AT THE TIME. But alas he was just an asshole.

Thread Information