Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
Like Tree149Likes

Thread: The Vacuum Thread!

Oh yeah itís def not a deep clean - it canít get into corners or behind open doors etc. It doesnít replace your vacuum but it keeps the place presentable in between weekly cleaning. before getting the roomba i had to vacuum at least a few times a week just to stay on top of stuff.
    Last edited by sputnik; April 3rd, 2021 at 10:57 PM.
    CornFlakegrl and fgg like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Silver Member

Well, I have a 25 year old upright. Discovered this past weekend that the bag had separated from the hose thingy and the inside was a mess. Then discovered I was out of new bags. I've been thinking of getting an old fashioned carpet sweeper. We're boomers and it's cold here in the winter so we have wall to wall carpeting in the living room, hallway and bedrooms. My BIL has a built in system and I want to check it out next visit. I hate housecleaning BTW.

I have 3 vacuums. I still love my dream vacuum, the Miele C3 Brilliant. I keep that upstairs. It's amazing on every surface, but it cleans the carpets and the furniture with ease. I love it. I still have my 20 year old Dyson Animal. That thing is a workhorse. I even replaced the motor. The guy at the vacuum shop said the old Dyson's are worth keeping. So I did. We also have a Roomba, that I used much more before the lockdown. I would run it in the morning as I walked my kidlet to school. It cleaned up the crumbs from breakfast and last nights dinner that our dogs missed Now that we're all home all day, the Roomba doesn't get used nearly as much. I think it's great on our hard surfaces and it does a great job with the daily dog hair.

I recently replaced my Roomba with a Roborock. What a difference! The Roomba took 45 minutes or longer to clean the 40m2 area it is supposed to clean, while the Roborock has around 15 minutes. Much more efficient, less noise, and really thorough. It's not a deep clean, no. But it's perfect with cat and dog hair so you don't have to clean the floor every day to get rid of all the fur (sometimes I wonder if my cat is naked when I see all the fur on the floor / furnitures / my clothes).
    The Roborock calculates the route and will clean in horizontal (or vertical) lines. So it has kind of a navigation built in and it works really good! The Roomba just seemed to be blind and bump into everything and do a random, wild route through the living room. We called int Rambo.
    -

^ Good to know for future reference!

I finally broke down and bought myself a Roomba a few Christmases ago. It's no substitute for a "real" vacuum, at least not at my house with the cats and dogs. I think it's an e5 which is supposed to be good for pet hair. And it does pick up quite a bit. I like using it in the bedroom because it gets everything under the bed. Again, unless you have a small place with no pets, I don't think it could replace a regular vacuum, but it helps in between deep cleaning. And my house could be vacuumed every day, not saying it happens but it needs it. I just wish it could do the stairs, they're a pain in the ass but I have to drag out the Kirby for that.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

I think a roomba/robo-vac would get lost in my crap! (Not literal crap)
    I bought a Miele C3 in a sale offer where I got it for half drive or something - it still cost £130!
    I got it because the Kirby just got too heavy & the Miele is actually better than the Kirby.
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I have 3 vacuums. I still love my dream vacuum, the Miele C3 Brilliant. I keep that upstairs. It's amazing on every surface, but it cleans the carpets and the furniture with ease. I love it. I still have my 20 year old Dyson Animal. That thing is a workhorse. I even replaced the motor. The guy at the vacuum shop said the old Dyson's are worth keeping. So I did. We also have a Roomba, that I used much more before the lockdown. I would run it in the morning as I walked my kidlet to school. It cleaned up the crumbs from breakfast and last nights dinner that our dogs missed Now that we're all home all day, the Roomba doesn't get used nearly as much. I think it's great on our hard surfaces and it does a great job with the daily dog hair.
    I love my Dyson too. I have the original yellow one, which I've had repaired, my vacuum guy said the same thing as yours, he will recommend Dyson repairs. My yellow Dyson is my basement and spare vacuum. I have a newer Dyson that's only 2 years old, a version of the animal. I love my new Dyson too.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

15 years ago we got a Dyson, the original yellow one, DC07. It was such a splurge purchase because we were young and poor-ish. I loved that thing. I replaced the hose on it a few times but it was the best and did it's job so well. One sad day the entire top just broke off, the plastic finally gave up.

Because it had been such a great vacuum I got a new one, some sort of small ball one. It was great, at first. Was small and lightweight. Then, it just stopped sucking, the vacuum head didn't work. We had to send it in for repair...the entire vacuum. Which is sort of a pain when you want to clean your house and the stick dyson (see below) wasn't working at 100%.

In the meantime we'd moved and bought their original stick vacuum because it worked better on a crappy tile floors (installed incorrectly with grout lines literally as wide as my middle finger). Loved it! So easy, worked great. It started to have issues with suction and the "high" mode didn't work at all. The stick hose would get blocked all the time. It wasn't a big deal, I learned how to clear it and work on "low" power mode. Kind of annoying, but manageable.

So, the new small ball, had to send it in 2 times for the brush head repair. I was pissed. It wasn't inexpensive and shouldn't constantly break. Coupled with the stick only working about 40% of the time I broke up with Dyson.

Now have some version of the Shark Lift Away and I love it. It's incredibly powerful and has had zero issues.

And there ends my vacuum saga...
    Novice and louiswinthorpe111 like this.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread Information