• 2 Post By Daphodil
  • 4 Post By Rusalka
  • 1 Post By faithanne
  • 1 Post By Dionnews
  • 1 Post By CornFlakegrl

Thread: $12 Million Colorado Castle Inspired by the Biltmore House

Default $12 Million Colorado Castle Inspired by the Biltmore House

https://robbreport.com/shelter/homes...se-1234589636/

This one fascinated me since I live fairly close to Biltmore and love visiting the house. Although my knees just weep when I see spiral staircases. I'm not a huge fan of the interior at all (I'm weird about too much white), but the views are spectacular and I do love the exterior. And I LOVE all of the exterior places to sit and entertain. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Home of the Week: Inside a $12 Million Colorado Castle Inspired by a Famed Asheville Landmark

robbreport.com/shelter/homes-for-sale/12-million-colorado-castle-inspired-by-ashevilles-biltmore-house-1234589636
    January 5, 2021By Howard Walker
    Photo: Courtesy of LIV Sotheby's International Realty/A&T Media
    Most visitors to the 250-room French Renaissance landmark that’s the Biltmore House in Asheville, NC, come away with a $40 bottle of Vanderbilt Reserve Merlot as a souvenir. Or maybe a three-pack of Biltmore salad dressing. A steal at $13.
    When Texas natives Randall and Cynthia Veselka toured the Biltmore—marveling at the home’s 35 bedrooms, 43 bathrooms and 65 fireplaces—they left with a different take-away: a dream to build a place just like it.
    Which is exactly what they did.

Starting with a spectacular 35-acre wooded lot in Evergreen, Colo., a 45-minute drive from Denver, they spent nine years and countless millions creating their own private Biltmore estate. Completed in 2015, they christened it Chateau V. As in V-for-Veselka.
    Reflecting the Biltmore’s jaw-dropping opulence and extravagance, the chateau features a huge central courtyard, a dozen dormered windows, pitched roofs and a multitude of turrets.
    Add to those the 126 custom-made chandeliers, acres of stained and diamond-cut glass windows, a cadre of carved limestone figurines and twin limestone grand spiral staircases and the stage is set for a real-life fairytale of epic proportions.
    Grand finishes match the expansive views. Photo: Courtesy of LIV Sotheby's International Realty/A&T Media

In total, the home sprawls across 21,692 square feet and comes with six ensuite bedrooms, eight full bathrooms and, naturally, a doggy spa.
    Interestingly, less than a year after moving in the Veselkas, who run the Denver-based financial services company DTI Credit, put a “for sale” sign outside with a $17.5 million asking.
    The double-height windows of the turret. Photo: Courtesy of LIV Sotheby's International Realty/A&T Media

At the time, the couple said they’d decided to sell because they felt the urge to travel more and spend more time visiting their grandkids. The couple has five children.
    With no takers, in May 2017 Chateau V saw a price cut to $12.99 million. And since then it has been on and off the market with a few more price adjustments. Just recently, the chateau was re-listed for $11.999 million.
    The dining room. Photo: Courtesy of LIV Sotheby's International Realty/A&T Media

“What truly sets this architectural masterpiece apart is the majestic snowcapped panorama of 14,000-foot Mount Evans you get from pretty much every room in the house. It’s truly spectacular,” says LIV Sotheby’s Whitney Cain. She and colleague Jennifer Davenport hold the listing.

Designed by acclaimed Colorado architects BVZ and built by a small army of local artisans, the estate sits at the end of Upper Bear Creek Road and is reached after five miles of creek-hugging curves.
    The ornate staircase is fit for making an entrance. Photo: Courtesy of LIV Sotheby's International Realty/A&T Media

In grand mansion style, a port-cochere opens into a spectacular paved central courtyard, with the main house flanked by matching wings on each side.
    It really does have the look of a storybook castle, with its creamy-white Texas limestone facade, pointy turrets and ornate ironwork . While the roof seems like it could be off the Palace of Versailles, it’s actually tough-as-nails synthetic shingle.
    Step through the arched double doors into the marbled entrance hall and all you see is the jaw-dropping vista of Mount Evans ahead.
    The kitchen has a distinct, architecturally historic, arched ceiling. Photo: Courtesy of LIV Sotheby's International Realty/A&T Media

To the right is the sprawling, open-plan living and dining rooms, with more floor-to-ceiling windows making the most of the million-dollar view. They flow into the kitchen with its remarkable, self-supporting, ceramic-tile, vaulted-and-arched ceiling. It’s from a design patented in 1892 by Spanish architect Rafael Guastavino.
    One more spectacular feature is the adjoining breakfast turret with its soaring double-height, semi-circular windows and mountain views.
    The views from the primary suite. Photo: Courtesy of LIV Sotheby's International Realty/A&T Media

The home has four floors, with the third used as the main level. Take the spiral staircase down to the second level to three oversized bedrooms. Up on the fourth floor, you’ll find two additional bedroom suites; the vast primary suite takes up an entire wing of the third floor.
    One possibly “surprise and delight” element is the nearly 5,000-square-foot lower level that’s currently unfinished. Seems the Veselkas envisioned it with an indoor/outdoor swimming pool, movie theater and entertainment complex. They’re leaving it to the new owners to decide.
    One of eight full bathrooms in the home. Photo: Courtesy of LIV Sotheby's International Realty/A&T Media

Even with its reduced price tag, Chateau V could still prove a tough sell. Evergreen’s other recent high-profile listing—the 25,000-square-foot, $20 million mansion known as Thunder Ridge, with its own 100-car auto museum and Star Trek-themed movie theater, is still looking for a buyer a year after being listed.

The vista of the surrounding mountains serves as panels of art behind the soaking tub. Photo: Courtesy of LIV Sotheby's International Realty/A&T Media

One of several terraces. Photo: Courtesy of LIV Sotheby's International Realty/A&T Media

The dining patio. Photo: Courtesy of LIV Sotheby's International Realty/A&T Media

The games room. Photo: Courtesy of LIV Sotheby's International Realty/A&T Media

One of the home’s six ensuite bedrooms. Photo: Courtesy of LIV Sotheby's International Realty/A&T Media

Chateau V feels like a hidden castle in the forest. Photo: Courtesy of LIV Sotheby's International Realty/A&T Media
    Dionnews likes this.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

czb

the view is great. but the rest sux. (sorry, OS).

before the SiP we used to travel to CO a LOT. i just can't envision something like this in evergreen.
    twitchy2.0 likes this.

No. I hate faux chateaux
    fgg and twitchy2.0 like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I'm pretty sure my slippers would have me face-planting in every room, down the staircase and even in the courtyard. #slippery
    felix and twitchy2.0 like this.

Why on earth does one need so much space???? I don't get this mega mansion thing. Seems like it would be eerie.
    sputnik, faithanne, fgg and 1 others like this.

There are very few people who could afford to maintain a place this huge, and most of them wouldn't want to buy into someone else's half-finished ideas. If they were so "inspired" to create this vulgar display of wealth, why are they selling? I'm guessing they've run out of money.

I can see this in a decade or so in one of those spooky pictorials about abandoned buildings.
    Rusalka likes this.
    Be excellent to each other.

I love the views but I don't think I'd want to live in a place that big.

fgg

the $20M thunder ridge house they reference (https://robbreport.com/shelter/homes...useum-2883043/) in the article is hideous too!
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

This would be a nice resort, or a wedding venue. But as a house, it's so tacky...maybe a royal will buy it

Bronze Member

No way! I could live a 100 times and I would never own such a mansion.
    Rusalka likes this.

This house intimidates me.
    Rusalka likes this.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

The CEO of my company had a house like this, but it was reduced size, at 10,000 square feet. It did not have the spiral staircase and there was not as much white. It took an enormous amount of work to maintain, too.

Has anyone else been to the Biltmore Estate?

1. Biltmore House was designed by architect Richard Morris Hunt and is America’s Largest Home® spanning 175,000 square feet, which is more than four acres of floor space. The 250-room French Renaissance chateau includes 35 bedrooms, 43 bathrooms, and 65 fireplaces.
    Now that is definitely an intimidating house.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Thread Information