Thread: Gingrich admits to affair

Default Gingrich admits to affair

Top News- Gingrich Admits Affair During Clinton Probe - AOL News

Updated:2007-03-09 04:04:58
    Gingrich Admits Affair During Clinton Probe

By BEN EVANS
    AP
    WASHINGTON (March 9) - Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich acknowledged he was having an extramarital affair even as he led the charge against President Clinton over the Monica Lewinsky affair, he acknowledged in an interview with a conservative Christian group.

Reports of extramarital affairs have dogged former House Speaker Newt Gingrich for years as a result of two messy divorces, but he has refused to discuss them publicly.

Blogging 2008:
    · Latest Buzz on Gingrich
    · Who's In, Who's Out

Talk About It: Post Thoughts

"The honest answer is yes," Gingrich, a potential 2008 Republican presidential candidate, said in an interview with Focus on the Family founder James Dobson to be aired Friday, according to a transcript provided to The Associated Press. "There are times that I have fallen short of my own standards. There's certainly times when I've fallen short of God's standards."

Gingrich argued in the interview, however, that he should not be viewed as a hypocrite for pursuing Clinton's infidelity.

"The president of the United States got in trouble for committing a felony in front of a sitting federal judge," the former Georgia congressman said of Clinton's 1998 House impeachment on perjury and obstruction of justice charges. "I drew a line in my mind that said, 'Even though I run the risk of being deeply embarrassed, and even though at a purely personal level I am not rendering judgment on another human being, as a leader of the government trying to uphold the rule of law, I have no choice except to move forward and say that you cannot accept ... perjury in your highest officials."

Widely considered a mastermind of the Republican revolution that swept Congress in the 1994 elections, Gingrich remains wildly popular among many conservatives. He has repeatedly placed near the top of Republican presidential polls recently, even though he has not formed a campaign.

Gingrich has said he is waiting to see how the Republican field shapes up before deciding in the fall whether to run.

The Republican Field: Who's In, Who's Out

Blogging 2008: Latest Buzz on the Contenders

Reports of extramarital affairs have dogged him for years as a result of two messy divorces, but he has refused to discuss them publicly.

Gingrich, who frequently campaigned on family values issues, divorced his second wife, Marianne, in 2000 after his attorneys acknowledged Gingrich's relationship with his current wife, Callista Bisek, a former congressional aide more than 20 years younger than he is.

His first marriage, to his former high school geometry teacher, Jackie Battley, ended in divorce in 1981. Although Gingrich has said he doesn't remember it, Battley has said Gingrich discussed divorce terms with her while she was recuperating in the hospital from cancer surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotshortie View Post
    Gingrich argued in the interview, however, that he should not be viewed as a hypocrite for pursuing Clinton's infidelity.
    OK - just the thought of this man having sex is enough to want to make me lose my breakfast.

But on an entirely separate level, is he really trying to push the theory that what he did is better or less egregious because he wasn't under investigation for lying about being an adulterer?

Isn't there some moral responsibility to have clean hands in a situation like this? And didn't he deny it for years too? So I guess the big difference is that he didn't lie under oath? Just at every other opportunity?

Bronze Member Works WAY to Hard's Avatar

Dog

IF there was a God and He did have standards, Newt would have been a spontaneous abortion long ago.......

Hit By Ban Bus!

Dusting off an old insult here: pond scum.

Give me a fucking break, Newty. You're splitting perjury hairs, when in reality you don't want to fess up to throwing stones in your big 'ol glass house.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

He's definitely running out of things to be "better than thou" about....first it was the nasty drug addicts....oops.....now it is the nasty adulterers....oops.....I might have to start listening to the large bag of hot air just to see what he's gonna be found guilty of next....

Did I mention that I hate hypocrites......

Having a little bj fun in the back room a few times vs. an on-going affair.

Hmmmm. Yes, I'd call you a hypocrite. And an asshole.

This is such old news. He admitted it back when his wife filed for divorce.

I find it humerous that he and Guiliani both are running for President and both cheated on their wives. Heck Rudi screwed around with an employee on tax payers time, then dumped the wife and kids and married his mistress. Yes, this is the party of moral values!!

Puke Family Values.

Newt is a ladies man.

Well, what these "family values" types really mean is everybody else has to do as they say, not as they do. They, meanwhile, are exempt -- above the laws of the nation, and above every commonly accepted code of morality.

My rule of thumb is this, and it has never let me down: anybody who spends their time telling other people how to live is hiding something. Period.

People who live decently don't presume to tell others how to live.

Elite Member

I agree. People who condemn the way others live or the choices they make do so because they've screwed their own lives up 9 times out of 10. These holier than thou people are such hypocrites...in reality no one should really comment on anyone's choices except their own. It ALWAYS comes back to bite you in the ass. Always.

These fuckers want to enforce "morality" with an iron fist, zero-tolerance policy, but when it shows up that they were on drugs, having affairs, stealing money, taking bribes, etc., then they revert to "I'm only human, I've sinned, please forgive me, forgiveness not punishment."

Fuckers.

Thread Information