Thread: Producer Damon Dash: 'No money to be made in rap industry'

Default Producer Damon Dash: 'No money to be made in rap industry'

Hip-hop mogul DAMON DASH insists there is no money to be made in the rap industry despite its high-spending 'bling' reputation.

The former head and co-founder of the Roc-A-Fella Records has turned to creating trainers and designer suits to fund his superstar lifestyle.

Dash also has stakes in Tiret Watches and the Rachel Roy clothing line.

He says, "The music business isn't so profitable, especially not hip-hop. I couldn't buy what I wanted to buy. I'm talking cooks and drivers. I got into clothes to make money. The people in this business all think they've made it because they're in charge of their little record labels.

"I'm like, this isn't even my main source of income. I already did this business - and I made movies and I designed clothes and I got my own vodka and my own Swiss watch maker.

"It's all about finding ways to make money off an upscale urban product. That's what I do. Period."
    http://contactmusic.com/news.nsf/art...orries_1002022

Default Re: Producer Damon Dash: 'No money to be made in rap industry'

Hear that, K-Fug? Guess you'll have to stay married to Britney a while longer.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Default Hip-hop mogul Damon Dash: "There's no money to be made in rap business"

Dash claims rap music is not profitable

Monday, July 10 2006, 13:36 BST - by Susanna Regan
    Hip-hop mogul Damon Dash has revealed that there is little money to be made from being involved in the rap business.

Dash was originally an executive at the Roc-A-Fella rap label, but has since moved on to a range of more diverse money-making projects in order to fund the lifestyle to which he has become accustomed.

He told the Independent on Sunday: "The music business isn't so profitable, especially not hip-hop. I couldn't buy what I wanted to buy. I'm talking cooks and drivers. I got into clothes to make money."

The entrepreneur, who has previously collaborated with Jay-Z and Victoria Beckham, was also quick to lambast those involved in music that do not share his vision.

"The people in this business all think they've made it because they're in charge of their little record labels. I'm like, this isn't even my main source of income. I already did this business - and I made movies and I designed clothes and I got my own vodka and my own Swiss watch maker," he continued.

Talking about his taste for a lavish way of life, he gave an insight into the things he expects his income to cover.

"Not many people understand how important having a butler is. I need somebody to help me get everything I'm going to wear for the day all set up, know what I'm saying? You'd think it is easy, but I've got a lot to put together, accessory-wise, especially at night," he said.

source:
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds34739.html

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Default Re: Hip-hop mogul Damon Dash: "There's no money to be made in rap business"

Wow I hope I've never spent any of my $$ on anything even remotely related to this asshole...

As far as the importance of having a butler is concerned, he should go tell that to the billion or so starving people of the world.

Thread Information