Thread: Robert Downey Jr. comeback

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Robert Downey Jr. comeback

HOLLYWOOD - When you ask actors questions, you don't always get honest answers. They are so accustomed to delivering lines that they may simply say something flip or funny. That used to be the m.o. of Robert Downey Jr.
    Not anymore.
    Back making movies after jail time and rehab, Downey, 40, compels himself to be truthful and live healthily. Less madcap, more meditative, he has seven movies coming out in the next 12 months, plus a role in the current "Good Night, and Good Luck."
    "Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang," a Raymond Chandler-esque comedic thriller opening Friday, showcases the former "SNL" cast member Downey doing what he does best - making ironic wisecracks. He plays a petty thief-turned-actor who hooks up with a gay detective/acting coach, played by Val Kilmer, to solve a crime in Hollywood.
    Although the part wasn't written for Downey, writer/director Shane Black says, "When he read the lines, I felt like I'd typed them right into his mouth."
    "It's a perfect fit," says Downey. "The way Shane thinks and writes is the way I talk."
    In the old days, before Downey gave up drugs for what he says is the last time, he would blithely say things like, "It's not that I've moved to adulthood yet, but I have visited it." Today, he laughs at the quip, but says in a sorrowful tone, "Now I live here and am happy to visit my childhood."
    Downey's comeback began two years ago when his friend Mel Gibson, with whom he starred in "Air America" in 1990, gave him a major role in "The Singing Detective." Then Gibson called Joel Silver, who produced the "Lethal Weapon" films and knew Downey from when they worked together on "Weird Science" in 1984.
    "Back then, Robert was funny, sharp and interesting, and I thought he had a great future," remembers Silver. "Then he got into some stuff. Mel said, 'This guy is clean and focused. If you're going to help him, now's the time.'
    "So I decided I'd give him 'Gothika.' Robert had to put up his whole salary for insurance, but he got a big chunk of it back. That solved his [employability] problem."
    And it changed his life on a personal note. At the end of August, Downey married "Gothika" producer Susan Levin. It is his second marriage. His first, to actress Deborah Falconer, with whom he has a 12-year-old son, Indio, ended in 2004.
    "I don't miss my old life, although I have flashes. After a tough day doing interviews, some folks go out and party. I won't make the mistake of affording myself that luxury, because I did all those rides."
    Instead, Downey keeps busy making movies. He is currently playing a reporter in "Zodiac," about a serial killer. In a remake of "The Shaggy Dog" with Tim Allen, coming out next spring, he plays an evil scientist. Also upcoming are "Fur" with Nicole Kidman, "A Scanner Darkly" with Keanu Reeves, "Lucky You" with Drew Barrymore and "A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints" with Rosario Dawson.
    Looking back on his early career, Downey says, "It never occurred to me after 'Chaplin' [for which he got an Oscar nomination] that there was this 18-month window where I was supposed to plan the next thing, not smoke bowls and watch the History Channel. "I'd always felt like a pretty huge outsider," he adds. "Now I realize I've earned my seat in this town, and it's all right to sit in it."
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I wish him best of luck. He's quite talented.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I agree. Glad to see he's pulling himself together. He's just one of those guys I root for, no matter what.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Thread Information