Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: British singer Morrissey boycotts Canada over seal slaughter

Thumbs up British singer Morrissey boycotts Canada over seal slaughter

British singer MORRISSEY is denying Canadian fans the chance to see him perform live, in protest over the country's controversial seal hunt.

The animal-loving rocker is disgusted the North American nation plans to continue their annual hunt next week (04APR06), despite international campaigns and condemnation by high-profile celebrities such as SIR PAUL MCCARTNEY, BRIGITTE BARDOT and PAMELA ANDERSON.

Animal rights campaigners claim up to 325,000 young harp seal pups will die in the controversial practice over the coming weeks.

In a statement on the ex-SMITHS frontman's website, he writes, "I fully realise that the absence of any Morrissey concerts in Canada is unlikely to bring the Canadian economy to its knees, but it is our small protest against this horrific slaughter - which is the largest slaughter of marine animal species found anywhere on the planet.

"The Canadian Prime Minister (STEPHEN HARPER) also states that the slaughter is necessary because it provides jobs for local communities, but this is an ignorant reason for allowing such barbaric and cruel slaughter of beings that are denied life simply because somebody somewhere might want to wear their skin.

"Construction of German gas chambers also provided work for someone - this is not a moral or sound reason for allowing suffering."

contactmusic.com
    Bravo.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Default Re: British singer Morrissey boycotts Canada over seal slaughter

I find it hard to believe the gvt reports that say the over-population of these seals pose a danger to the ecological system (e.g. depletion of cod etc.). And such reports also claim that New Foundland fishermen can earn some $1.6 mil/bil (forgot the exact amount...) from the seal hunt. I've read other reports that said it only amounts to 1-2-% of their annual income. I find the gvt stats suspcious and misleading. I also don't agree with the method of killing these baby seals, do they have to be clubbed to death?
    I just want to fly over to Newfoundland and see it for myself how many seals are actually there and what kind of damage they are doing to the environment that justifies their masacre.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Yeah Morrissey, punish the fans. That will accomplish so much you asshead.

Are PETA members required to make comparisons to the Holocaust everytime they make a public statement or something?

Good for Morrisssey. Now hopefully his fans will start a mammoth phone call, fax and letter writing campaign to the govt. and stop the slaughter!

Morrisey doesn't have enough fans to fill a stadium, let alone cause enough of a ruckus for a government.

As much as I dispise the seal hunt (which wont continue for very much longer anyway, considering there'll be no ice floes soon) THANK FUCKING GOD I DONT HAVE TO LISTEN TO HIS SELF INVOLVED, WHINING PRATTLE UP HERE.

Morrisey: Get laid and STOP YOUR BITCHING.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I love that more and more celebrities are speaking out for animal welfare. I hope that this is not just some passing craze - go Morrissey!

It's not a holocaust, they aren't out committing genocide. It's a cull, not an extinction.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok

(which wont continue for very much longer anyway, considering there'll be no ice floes soon)
    ecological feedback loops and tipping points are a bitch, huh? The seals will join the polar bears in extinction anyway. shit.

Nah, the seals will just move to breed on land and a new ecosystem will form.. more baby seals will die from natural predators and the seal hunt will be made easier, or obsolete

Morrissey's funny 'cos If Britain had seals, I bet you ANY money that Britain would have seal hunts as well.

I am against the seal hunt. I can sign petititions, but I cannot pay for the salaries (whatever how much it is they receive) they'd lose out on, however, I do understand this is the way of life for others. Question is: how do we wean them onto other jobs when the current one's been in their family for decades? (Actually the seal hunt became a recorded annual even in 1723).
    Last edited by mtlebay; March 28th, 2006 at 01:48 PM.
    Go Habs Go!!

A massive story on the cruel practice of seal hunting was just in the papers here this last weekend. I wonder whether that prompted him? I don't care for him or his music but if he is using his fame to raise awareness then that is most definitely a good step to take. But to refuse to play in Canada? Is he assuming all his Canadian fans agree that seal hunting is fair game?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_Rizzo
    People lose their jobs all the time... you go find another. It's that simple.
    If it's so simple, then you go out and find those entire communities in the Northern Atlantic new jobs. I'll be here signing petitions (because that's something I can personally do).

Some things are easier said than done.
    Go Habs Go!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_Rizzo
    Well they fish the rest of the year... (not that I agree with fishing either)... the seal hunt just ADDS to their income.
    Their income's much to begin with or else they might not have to go through with the seal hunt. Newfoundland and its areas aren't exactly the thriving Metropolis of Canada. Believe me, I'm sure not all of them agree with this. It's what they do, they might not have as much choices as you or I.

And honestly, I don't give a flying fuck how they make money... that's not my problem.
    So why you discussing about something that's 'not your problem'?

If I was offered MILLIONS of dollars to kill animals, I would turn it down and find another way to make a living. They could do the same.
    Easy to say when you have your apt/house, car and full-time job with benefits.

But you're still not answering my question: how will YOU help supplement their income? As I mentioned earlier, some things are easier said than done.
    Go Habs Go!!

It's a cull, and it's barely a dent in their numbers. Seals reproduce very quickly, it's not like they're out there wiping out 3/4 of the seal population.

I have to agree here, just seeing what exactly happens to them makes me cry. Most of them them aren't even dead when they are skinned. It makes me so sad that I couldn't even read what was written on the pages.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information