Thread: Morgan Freeman calls for changes to the Oscars

Default Morgan Freeman calls for changes to the Oscars

MORGAN FREEMAN has slammed the "best" tag linked to various Academy Awards because it discourages the actors who don't win.

The MILLION DOLLAR BABY Oscar-winner wishes the film ceremony could be re-structured to honour all the top performers in a category.

He says, "The danger is buying into this 'best' idea. I realise it's to sell movies - otherwise I'd campaign to get it stopped.

"It would make more sense to give awards for five outstanding performances. At least you wouldn't get four actors walking away thinking they're failures."
    contactmusic

Default Re: Morgan Freeman calls for changes to the Oscars

I like Morgan Freeman, but this idea seems very juvenile. It makes me think of elementary school kids who all get a trophy so no one will go home crying.

Could this mean celebrities are immature? *gasp!*

Well, it's true that in some years you wish they could give two Best Pics, two Best Screenplay, etc. But many times they have trouble filling up the nominations, like in the actress categories - there are so few good roles for women. I mean, the fact that Natalie Portman was nominated for Best Supporting last year and Keira Knightley is nominated for Best Actress this year should tell you something.

What they should do is have it so that in some years, in some categories, you can have more than one winner. And they should make it a surprise. Like this: You don't find out if there are two winners until they announce it. They say, "There are two winners this year" and then they announce them.

I say BOOOOOOOOOOOO. I agree with Laurent completely.

There is nothing wrong with having a Best. It means something.

There is nothing wrong with saying, "the winner is" but they weenied out & now it's "the oscar goes to."

When you worry so much about hurting the non-winner's little feelings, you detract from the honor of the WINNER. Somebody who worked hard & WON.

Don't like losing? Strive to be better.

There is little incentive to win, when winning is a bad, shameful thing. This is the kind of attitude that is glopped on our children, and has created a generation who believe that they should be rewarded for mediocrity.

Even the way Morgan would like to see, those outstanding performances would still BEAT all the rest, even if all the rest are not named.

I still love Morgan, though.

I know it's a cliche, but if I were in such a position, I truly would be honoured just to be nominated. If you're one of four or five people nominated as the "best" in your field, then you've already won. There's nothing wrong with then deciding upon a big winner out of that short list.

It worked well in high school - I was on the short list for valedictorian. There were five girls, five guys, one of each would win. I didn't "win", in fact I didn't even vote for myself, I voted for the girl with a 98% average who lived for school. Did I feel like a "failure"? Um, no. How could I?
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

He IS God you know.

Anyways it is a good thought HOWEVER people have to get around this crap about hurting people's feelings. There is a best and worst in life and it just needs to be accepted. It doesn't hurt to fail. Only builds more character and gives more ambition to succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tati
    I know it's a cliche, but if I were in such a position, I truly would be honoured just to be nominated. If you're one of four or five people nominated as the "best" in your field, then you've already won.
    Ditto to that and to Laurent's post.

Oh, the horror of being the fifth best in thousands
    Nope.

I love Morgan. I can understand what he is saying but don't think it is a good idea at all.

Thread Information