Like Tree16Likes
  • 2 Post By dougie
  • 1 Post By Laurent
  • 4 Post By Moongirl
  • 6 Post By Honeythorn
  • 3 Post By Witchywoman

Thread: Carol Burnett, Tim Conway and Vicki Lawrence: Mark Twain Prize For American Humor

Legitimizing LeAnn Rimes' Murderous Trip to the Top

Default Carol Burnett, Tim Conway and Vicki Lawrence: Mark Twain Prize For American Humor

From zimbio.com

Carol Burnett (honoree), Tim Conway, and Vicki Lawrence at the 16th Annual Mark Twain Prize For American Humor at John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts on October 20, 2013 in Washington, DC. (Source: Kris Connor/Getty Images North America)

Carol Burnett Pictures - The 16th Annual Mark Twain Prize For American Humor - Zimbio

Tim Conway Pictures - The 16th Annual Mark Twain Prize For American Humor - Zimbio

Vicki Lawrence Pictures - The 16th Annual Mark Twain Prize For American Humor - Zimbio
    Last edited by dougie; October 21st, 2013 at 07:59 AM.
    Brookie and olivia like this.

Vicki Lawrence looks better now than back in the day.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Good for them! I always loved that show and I'll always love Carol Burnett.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I always loved Vicki Lawrence especially. Mama's Family cracked me up.
    ManxMouse likes this.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Legitimizing LeAnn Rimes' Murderous Trip to the Top

Here are excerpts from an article that started out being mostly about Tina Fey and what she wore, but it had some good information about the award and Carol Burnett's career:

It is the most coveted award in comedy and Carol Burnett was awarded with the Mark Twain Prize on Sunday.

---

The stars paid tribute to Carol, who had huge success with a namesake variety show that launched in the 1960s, at the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts.

Julie Andrews and Tony Bennett also took part in the show, which was taped and will be broadcast November 24 on PBS stations.

Carol said ahead of the evening it's a thrill to receive the award named for humourist and satirist Mark Twain and that she's in good company with past honourees, who include Fey, Bill Cosby, Steve Martin, Lily Tomlin and Ellen DeGeneres.

Coming on the heels of the government shutdown, Burnett joked that she hopes the Kennedy Center's doors will open ‘so we can get in.’

McGarr said it's nice to bring an ‘intentionally funny moment’ to Washington after weeks of political drama.

Cappy McGarr, the co-creator of the Mark Twain Prize, said: ‘You know, serious times call for seriously funny people.’

Carol made a special request that rising comedienne Rosemary Watson, who does impressions of Hillary Clinton and others, be part of the show. Burnett found Watson on YouTube after receiving a fan letter and thought she was funny.

‘The thing is, you pay it forward,’ Carol said, ‘because when I got started, somebody gave me a break when I was 21 years old, and I wanted to go to New York.’

Before the show, Rosemary Watson said that watching Carol shaped her life as a child, and was not a joke teller but created funny characters.

‘I do what I do because of her,’ Rosemary, who stood out during the evening in a cobalt blue dress, said. ‘For me, she was it. She was the female comedian I wanted to be most like.’

Vicki Lawrence, a co-star with the honouree on The Carol Burnett Show, said she was planning to be a dental hygienist before she knew Carol.

‘I was going to be cleaning teeth somewhere, and I guess she changed that,’ Vicki said.

Tina said Carol was an inspiration because her show was the first such variety show led by a woman that she had ever seen, and Amy added that more than anything, Carol is just ‘crazy funny.’

Martin Short said anyone who has done sketch or character comedy has borrowed or stolen from Carol.

‘I think she is just a clown in the greatest sense,’ he said. ‘She is a satirist in the greatest sense.’

Read more: Previous winner Tina Fey wows in lace to support Carol Burnett as she receives prestigious Mark Twain Prize | Mail Online
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I grew up watching these three and the rest of their cast. I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Carol, Tim and Vicki.

I think no matter how many times I watch it, the Gone With the Wind parody dress scene makes me LOL every time.

Eunice, Mama, Ed, and Micky -- that stuff was ALWAYS gold. R.I.P. Harvey Korman.
    They all look fantastic here.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post
    I think no matter how many times I watch it, the Gone With the Wind parody dress scene makes me LOL every time.
    That and this little gem right here.

I love all three of them. Carol deserves the Mark Twain award, good for her.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I ADORE all of them! Wonder when PBS is going to air this awards ceremony?
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Love all of them. I never tire of watching old episodes.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I loved the Carol Burnett show and Mama's Family! Good for Carol on her win. They all look great too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    I ADORE all of them! Wonder when PBS is going to air this awards ceremony?
    Julie Andrews and Tony Bennett also took part in the show, which was taped and will be broadcast November 24 on PBS stations.

It's about time they honored her. Im a little surprised it took them so long to get to her. Love Carol and the entire cast.....good family times watching her shows. Pullin on my ear for her!!
    politesse, olivia and Honeythorn like this.

Thread Information