Real name: Enrique Jose Martín Morales
Birthdate: December 24, 1971
Click here for more images!
Enrique JosÃ© MartÃn Morales (born December 24, 1971), better known as Ricky MartÃn, is a Grammy Award and Latin Grammy Award-winning Puerto Rican pop singer who rose to fame, first as a member of the Latin boy band Menudo, then as a solo artist since 1991. He has sold almost 34 million albums around the world , charting twenty one top-ten hits on the U.S. Latin Charts, eight of which reached number one, and a total of over thirty hit singles.
After the conclusion of a world wide concert tour , MartÃn returned to the studio and recorded his fourth album called Vuelve, while appearing for the first time in a Broadway production, as the romantic lead, Marius Pontmercy in Les Miserables. "Vuelve" was certified platinum by the RIAA and went to sell eight million copies worldwide. He was chosen to sing the anthem of the 1998 FIFA World Cup, the famous hit "The Cup of Life"/"La Copa de la Vida", that reached number one on the charts in sixty countries.
In the same year, he released his English greatest hits album, The Best of Ricky Martin, which went on to sell over one million copies. The album contained no new material save for two remixes of the track Amor. Both remixes were released to radio in some European countries and a cd single was also released.
In addition to the numerous awards received throughout his musical career, MartÃn has also been honored with many accolades for his humanitarian efforts including: the Leadership in the Arts Award, Billboard's Spirit of Hope Award, the Alma Award, Vanguard Award, and the International Humanitarian Award by the International Center for Missing and Exploited Children.
- MartÃn was chosen, FÃ©lix Trinidad in 1999, to lead Puerto Rico's worldwide tourism campaign, both exemplifying Puerto Rico's youthfulness, enthusiasm and indefatigable character.
- In September 2002, MartÃn received a Hispanic Heritage Award for his humanitarian work through the Sabera Foundation in rescuing three orphan girls from the streets of Calcutta.
- In February 2004, MartÃn received a Lifetime Achievement Award at the Premios Lo Nuestro in Miami.
- For his work against human trafficking, the U.S. State Department named MartÃn one of its "Heroes in Ending Modern-Day Slavery" in 2005.
- MartÃn has been nominated one of the 50 Most Beautiful People in the World by People Magazine and People en EspaÃ±ol in 2000 and 2006 respectively.
- MartÃn was honored as the 2006 Latin Recording Academy Person of the Year, by The Latin Recording Academy on November 1, 2006. He was chosen for his accomplishments as a world renowned entertainer, consummate performer and passionate humanitarian. A portion of the proceeds from the evening's tribute dinner will benefit Ricky MartÃn's charitable efforts.
This article/section is missing citations or needs footnotes.Using inline citations helps guard against copyright violations and factual inaccuracies.