Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Yet another model drops dead

Elite Member

I recently went through a similar thing Sojiita where I got down to 88lbs at 5'10" in early september. I was hospitalized and was put on a heart monitor. I have to have weekly heart monitoring, weekly blood tests etc. My liver over functions which means most food gets turned into nothing rather then storage and I have apparently starved off too many fat cells to really put on any significant fat. The only reason why I'm out patient now is that they just dont have the facilities.

My medical doctor, however, recently went to a confrence all about anorexia. They found that when you starve your stomach actually creates a second fake lining. The stomach send a message to the brain then that it is constantly full, which is why an anorexic never feels they are starving. This releases hormones into the system which then effect mood and cognitive function, as well as sleeping patterns etc.

Oh and I lurve your avatar too. Rawr.
    "Don't think that sticking your boobs out and trying to look fuckable will help. Remember your in a rock and roll band. It's not "Fuck Me", It's "Fuck You!"
    Chrissie Hynde

A*O

Lani - It's very brave of you to be so honest too. And it's great to see that you obviously understand some of the deeper issues, medical and psychological, about your illness. It's surely the only way to recovery although like any addiction I guess it's always 'lurking' there ready to pounce if you find yourself in a vulnerable situation or something triggers it again. I wish you every success in continuing to live a healthier and happier life and again, I admire your courage in facing your demons and doing something positive to deal with them. Take care.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

*passes around some strawberry shortcake to everyone*

god i love it.. prolly why im a fatty. ah well, famine resistant and i double as a personal floation device
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

A*O

Grimm - you and me have the same ultra-efficient metabolism. We need fewer than normal calories to function and every single spare one is instantly converted to FAT. It's a pain now but mark my words, when the End Of Days happens and there's only a few humans left we will survive WAY longer than everyone else who will quickly starve to death. And then you and me can breed the new Master Race.......... erm, OK maybe not....... not even with a brown paper bag??? I'm not proud.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Elite Member

Thank you so much AO. I does help to know the medical stuff as well as the psychological things as well. Doesnt really help on the days where things feel 'out of control'. Like I recently lost weight again because I had lost my job for NO REASON (stupid IR laws) and it just got me down and whatever.

Grimm - I could probably do with a nice big slice of that.
    "Don't think that sticking your boobs out and trying to look fuckable will help. Remember your in a rock and roll band. It's not "Fuck Me", It's "Fuck You!"
    Chrissie Hynde

Quote Originally Posted by bite me spidey View Post
    No, it's not. Only people ignorant to the business say that. They're demanded to be thin and in shape, but nobody forces them to obsess about it or lose an exceeding amount of weight. The model needs to know when what their agency tells them is bullshit and when it's not.

I hate it when people completely blame the industry. The industry is very twisted right now, without a doubt, but nobody is forcing these girls to lose weight, and it's completely unrealistic to say that all agencies are forcing their models to be a size 0 at 5'9". Most don't encourage it at all because it obviously shows them in an unlikable light. Most models just don't know when to stop though.
    Then why did Spain have to ban all models who were "too skinny"? Why was there a scandal?? I think you're a bit deluded, bite me.

But maybe you're right. Nobody is forcing these girls to be unnaturally skinny. The girls just don't get hired until they're skinny enough. You're right. Nobody's forcing them to be that skinny. But they are being coerced.

Quote Originally Posted by bite me spidey View Post
    It's far more serious than simply not eating or wanting to go on a diet. People who laugh at it or act like these people should just snap out of it and "eat a sandwich" disgust me.
    Who's laughing? And you know what disgusts me?? THESE ASSHOLE MANAGERS AND AGENTS AND FASHION EDITORS AND PHOTOGRAPHERS AND DESIGNERS WHO TAKE PERFECTLY HEALTHY YOUNG GIRLS AND TWIST THEIR MINDS INTO THINKING THERE'S SOMETHING WRONG WITH THEIR BODIES, WHICH MAKES THEM GO ON CRASH DIETS AND FAST AND GENERALLY ABUSE THEMSELVES.

^^ THAT is what disgusts me. And THAT is what leads to anorexia.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Soj - You are such an empathetic man (unusual!). Have you ever thought about doing some counselling work for ED victims, especially men? People tend to think that ED's are a 'female thing' and forget there are a lot of men out there with similar issues. If you've been there yourself, and recovered, you have a wealth of wisdom and experience to offer. I'm sure there are treatment facilities out there who would jump at the change to have you on their team.
    I second that! Because I imagine there are many men out there who don't come out (so to speak) about their ED due to that stigmatism. And can I say how much that infuriates me?? I HATE the fact that there are people out there suffering alone!! Why can't everybody be save?!?!!??

And by the way, Soj: I'm glad you're still with us, and I'm glad you're healthy. Cuz you're a real righteous dude, and I dig you. <<---- Eeeeewww! Girlie cooties!

ETA: Lani, we're pulling for you, girl. It's good to hear that you recognize you have a problem and are doing something about it. Don't give up!! Like Rob Schneider says in all his Adam Sandler movies, "You can do it!"

Hit By Ban Bus!

I've been reading the posts here, and...

To Sojiita and Lani: I feel for you for having reached the point where you had to be hospitalized. It makes me proud to see that you admitted to the problem, sought for help, and, in Sojiita's case, recovered. As for Lani, keep up the good work on the road to recovery, lady. I'm happy to see the level of conciousness and information in both of you. Brave man and, brave woman. Hugs and best to both.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

yeah Lani; that took a lot of courage to share your story and I cant believe you're even alive after getting so bad, but Im glad that you are and thanks again for sharing and caring and you too Soj *hugs* u both know you have friends here

Elite Member

Oh god I think I just fell inlove with each and every single one of you.
    Chrissie Hynde

Bronze Member

I am all for promoting healthy body image, but lets keep it real people. These photo are doctored fakes. Snopes.com has these images and the originals at photos/people/models.

By posting these altered images, girls with body image issues will say "at least I'm not that skinny." It doesn't help the cause.

Fine. We'll start posting real images. Which are just as bad.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

People will have to want to help themselves before anything whether the photos are fake or not.
    By posting these altered images, girls with body image issues will say "at least I'm not that skinny." It doesn't help the cause.
    I think they might use them as thinspiration instead...

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Quote Originally Posted by moomies View Post
    I think they might use them as thinspiration instead...
    Oh, they do. Here's proof, from http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...DedZ%26sa%3DN:

nice thinspo
    Posted 6/15/2006 at 9:04 PM by iwannabeskinnier09

I dare anyone to go to that page and see what "thinspo" iwannabeskinnier09 is talking about.

Ok, I removed the pictures, because our new friend so politely recommended it. I sure hope s/he posts more.

*insert sarcasm into above comment
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

^^^OMFG

askdlutiaosjv

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information