Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 77

Thread: Yet another model drops dead

  1. #46
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    251

    Default

    The reason why all these models get anorexic is because of all the pressure in the industry. I'm sure many different people tell them all the time what's wrong with their bodies, photographers go "you gotta change the pose, you look fat in that one", agencies go "you could get more work if you'd be thinner" and so on and so on. If you have left everything else in your life behind to be a model, it's no wonder that you feel the need to excel in your job. And once you get on the "diet mode" it's hard to stop when people are giving you all these compliments, "oh you look so beautiful".To some people, modeling is their dream job, something they really want to do more than anything and you can't blame them for that.

  2. #47
    A*O
    A*O is offline
    Friend of Gossip Rocks! A*O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Being Paula
    Posts
    31,675

    Default

    My pet theory which I've bored you all with before is that the reason successful models are tall with no hips, no tits, no arse and long legs is because most designers are gay men and so their idea of a physically 'perfect' specimen is someone with a boy's figure and not a woman's. I'm not bashing the designers, or gays, or the models. It's just that in order for the clothes to fit according to the designers' 'vision' they are expected to conform to a physically very unnatural and unhealthy 'ideal' body shape (for a woman) and the only way to achieve that is to starve themselves and/or do drugs which many models do.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

  3. #48
    Mistress of Dick All Elvira's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,965

    Default

    ANOREXIA QUESTIONS AS BRAZILIAN MODEL RESTON DIES

    Posted in: Entertainment — PR-inside Entertainment News @ 4:24 am

    Brazilian model ANA CAROLINA RESTON was killed by a diet of just apples and tomatoes.
    The 21-year-old was buried in her native Brazil yesterday (16NOV06). She died earlier this month weighing just 39 kilograms (88 pounds) after being hospitalised for kidney failure - and a relative has revealed she only ate the two fruits in the months leading up to her death.
    Cousin GEISE STRAUSS says, "She liked apples and she adored tomatoes as well - but that was about it." Published reports reveal the model received treatment for anorexia, but bosses at one of her main agencies, L’Equipe, insist they had no idea she was ill.
    In a statement released to US news show ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT yesterday (16NOV06), a spokesman for L’Equipe said, "We don’t force our professionals to be ‘very thin.’ Those who have the a naturally thin biotype work in fashion and those who haven’t are addressed to advertising.
    "After (she) had to be admitted in the hospital, she was frequently visited by an employee from the agency. All medical staff responsible for her was extremely worried, because she complained from pain in the kidneys and had a profile of generalised infection.
    "L’Equipe would like to reinforce that its philosophy has always included the concern about the professionals’ health, including their diet and physical activities. We are deeply sorry about what happened to Ana Carolina Reston.
    Even in these dark times, we have never stopped helping the model and her family."

    11/17/2006

    Movie & Entertainment News provided by World Entertainment News Network

    Source: http://www.pr-inside.com/entertainme...azilian-model/
    Scariest Halloween mask ever > > >

  4. #49
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,185

    Default

    See? No protein in her diet. Her body cannibalized all of her muscle tissue for protein and eventually ran out. I'm sorry, a diet of just apples and tomatoes is dumb.

  5. #50
    Elite Member greysfang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Burning Down Your Windmill
    Posts
    56,375

    Default

    I see your point hotncmom. The proper term for the body using its own muscle is called catabolism.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

    http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

  6. #51
    Hit By Ban Bus!
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,036

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    My pet theory which I've bored you all with before is that the reason successful models are tall with no hips, no tits, no arse and long legs is because most designers are gay men and so their idea of a physically 'perfect' specimen is someone with a boy's figure and not a woman's. I'm not bashing the designers, or gays, or the models. It's just that in order for the clothes to fit according to the designers' 'vision' they are expected to conform to a physically very unnatural and unhealthy 'ideal' body shape (for a woman) and the only way to achieve that is to starve themselves and/or do drugs which many models do.
    Yep, walking hangers.

    It's even sadder that she was using up her modeling money to build a simple, yet good house for her family at their hometown. Poor, poor girl. People who surround a person with a disese like that, should not just "let it be" until it gets to this point. They should do heavy intervening BEFORE it's too late, no matter who they may offend in the process. If it's for the sake of a life, it IS for a better good.

  7. #52
    SVZ
    SVZ is offline
    Do fish have boogers? SVZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Venus
    Posts
    1,000,003,606

    Default

    Well have you seen the sketches that fashion designers create while making the clothes? Very long and very, very thin. I guess they find people then to math it.

    And I disagree about the gay thing, just because a man is gay doesn't mean that they want their females to look like men/boys as well. I think it has more to do with the fashion perspective than it does their sexuality.

  8. #53
    Elite Member Sojiita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Central Duh-hio
    Posts
    22,809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    Can I just say thank you? God things like this scare me and add to my motivation to get well again. Not all people with ED's find inspiration to keep their illness with 'thinspiration'. A*O, I agree with you completely. If you force and addict to get help the minute they're left to their own devices they go back to their addiction. Anorexics are addicts. If I hadnt of come to the conclusion that I needed help by myself without promptin and then aked for it and sought the people out rather then being forced then I would have relapsed by now. That article scares me so much. When I was hospitalized I was 1.75m tall and 32kg.
    While I agree with this..intervention can be helpful. The thing that really woke me up is when I saw the actual physical EVIDENCE in the medical exams, tests, etc. that showed that my internal organs were failing(especially the heart). It was only when they showed me the graphs of my heartbeats through a 24 hour period(wearing that Haltermonitor or whatever it is called) and they showed me when my heartbeat had slowed to 20 or so beats per minute..and I could correlate those times with times during that day when I had become very tired and weak and had to lay down to keep from passing out...that I woke up and really WANTED to get better. I was 5'(" and about 100 pounds(and I have a pretty large frame/barrel chest..and am a guy so I should weight more). I could suck my stomach in and they measured that I was about three inches wide(from back to front) at the stomach area. truly sickening.
    *like the avatar!!!!!!! hehehe*


    Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    My pet theory which I've bored you all with before is that the reason successful models are tall with no hips, no tits, no arse and long legs is because most designers are gay men and so their idea of a physically 'perfect' specimen is someone with a boy's figure and not a woman's. I'm not bashing the designers, or gays, or the models. It's just that in order for the clothes to fit according to the designers' 'vision' they are expected to conform to a physically very unnatural and unhealthy 'ideal' body shape (for a woman) and the only way to achieve that is to starve themselves and/or do drugs which many models do.
    The thin is in for women thing..especially the no tits and no ass/hips thing..really only took over in modern times in the 20's..and the leading designer who pushed the look was Coco Chanel(straight women). It was women choosing and designing less restrictive clothing for women in general by adopting more of a 'sporting' look (at that time) who pushed this as a way of helping to 'liberate' women in a way at that time(getting away from corsets, garters, girdles, gloves, etc. as well)
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

  9. #54
    A*O
    A*O is offline
    Friend of Gossip Rocks! A*O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Being Paula
    Posts
    31,675

    Default

    Thanks for sharing Soj. But was it only the medical evidence that jolted you into action, or did something else make you take a step back from the addiction. Smokers and obese people have plenty of scary medical evidence that their nicotine and food addictions are killing them but they still continue with their habit. And if it's not too personal, how did you overcome anorexia. Did you do it by yourself, or did you get professional treatment.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

  10. #55
    Elite Member Sojiita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Central Duh-hio
    Posts
    22,809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Thanks for sharing Soj. But was it only the medical evidence that jolted you into action, or did something else make you take a step back from the addiction. Smokers and obese people have plenty of scary medical evidence that their nicotine and food addictions are killing them but they still continue with their habit. And if it's not too personal, how did you overcome anorexia. Did you do it by yourself, or did you get professional treatment.
    I was already in the hospital because of medical complications from the starvation when they started concentrating on the anorexia(actually classified at that time as 'Anorexia with bulemic tendencies'..since I had some bulemia issues but continued to loose weight. It was absolutely the medical evidence for me that did it. I really really thought then that I had a very good chance of dying very soon at that point..and I did not want to die. That was it.

    After that it was just a matter of trying and trusting in others that they knew better and had a better handle on reality than I did. And slowly I came around. I can remember one time, looking at myself in the mirror and actually seeing this fat guy in the mirror. Then all of a sudden I was not looking at the fat guy, I was looking at a starving, gaunt, hollow eyed thin person. It only lasted a few seconds...and then I saw the heavier person I usually saw in the mirror. But I knew that those few seconds had been the reality creeping in. That was another big eye-opener for me.

    Was in the hospital for 102 days... and then lots of outpatient therapy.

    Now I pretty much eat what I want..so I need to lose a few pounds..I will get around to it directly... . Hey I am old now so who gives a shit anyway right> Other than my constant sinus/allergy/resulting sickness problems my health is good, heart ok(a little permanent damage from the ED's), blood pressure/blood glucose good..etc. That is what is most important.

    Another thing about the disease is the isolation and extreme introspection and self-involvement..very narcissistic. Getting out of yourself is a big way to help in this disease IMO. Also therapy to deal with underlyng issues, and learning more about overall 'health' in general helped for me.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

  11. #56
    Elite Member moomies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough
    Posts
    15,515

    Default

    The thin is in for women thing..especially the no tits and no ass/hips thing..really only took over in modern times in the 20's..and the leading designer who pushed the look was Coco Chanel(straight women). It was women choosing and designing less restrictive clothing for women in general by adopting more of a 'sporting' look (at that time) who pushed this as a way of helping to 'liberate' women in a way at that time(getting away from corsets, garters, girdles, gloves, etc. as well)
    I think during WW1, there was a fabric shortage (or shortage of anything, duh!) and people had to cut corners where clothes were designed also to use less material and became more form fitting. I read this in a history book.

    If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

  12. #57
    Elite Member Lobelia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    a backwards hillbilly state
    Posts
    20,800

    Default

    Thanks Sojita. That was extremely interesting & informative.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

    Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

  13. #58
    Elite Member Sojiita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Central Duh-hio
    Posts
    22,809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moomies View Post
    I think during WW1, there was a fabric shortage (or shortage of anything, duh!) and people had to cut corners where clothes were designed also to use less material and became more form fitting. I read this in a history book.
    That's right..and WW1 was also the war that really got women into factories, helped bring about alot of role changes, etc. It really set things up for the changes to happen in the twenties. In fact much of the twenties was a direct rebellion against the way things were in the years immediately preceding the war, as many of those things in the Edwardian Era were blamed for having caused the war and the massive loss of the lives of so many young men.

    During the twenties the 'hemline' of womens dresses went up to mid-calf and then to almost the knee-the highest it had been in many centuries. Also makeup really took off in the 20's, as well as women's shoes-they had been more like boots before since they were always mostly covered up-shoes replaced boots. Hats also started their decline in the 20's.

    Another thing about the 20's
    -before the 20's, women looked to royalty to see how to 'dress to the nine'-as they had done for centuries.
    -after the 20's, they looked to Hollywood.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    Thanks Sojita. That was extremely interesting & informative.
    the mirror part was VERY strange..I honestly for a while there looked into the mirror and saw a heavy person while at the time I was starving to death. I really do not know how to explain it..but when these starving people(mostly women) say that they see themselves as fat..they really are telling the truth.
    It is very strange and twisted thing. I do not think I would be able to believe it if I had not been there myself. It was some kind of self-delusion that built up until it reigned supreme and then slowly broke away..that time I described being the first time I really saw how badly I looked-the first time the delusion broke for me. After that when it came to self-perception it was a two step forward-one step back kind of thing..but got progressively better.

    Now I think "damn how could I have seen that I was fat-I musta been crazy!!

    *also the underlying thing that I was dealing/not dealing with?..I still had unresolved issues about my sexual orientation of course!*
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

  14. #59
    Elite Member Lobelia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    a backwards hillbilly state
    Posts
    20,800

    Default

    Yeah, the mirror part was the most intriguing. Amazing how our brains control our perception of reality.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

    Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

  15. #60
    A*O
    A*O is offline
    Friend of Gossip Rocks! A*O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Being Paula
    Posts
    31,675

    Default

    Soj - You are such an empathetic man (unusual!). Have you ever thought about doing some counselling work for ED victims, especially men? People tend to think that ED's are a 'female thing' and forget there are a lot of men out there with similar issues. If you've been there yourself, and recovered, you have a wealth of wisdom and experience to offer. I'm sure there are treatment facilities out there who would jump at the change to have you on their team.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Britney Spears Drops Baby More Than Once
    By UndercoverGator in forum Gossip Archive
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: May 4th, 2006, 10:31 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: April 21st, 2006, 04:34 PM
  3. Fake Santa drops his trousers
    By buttmunch in forum News
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: December 8th, 2005, 08:48 AM
  4. Tom Cruise Drops Sister as Publicist
    By bobbysue in forum Gossip Archive
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: November 9th, 2005, 08:50 PM
  5. Jennifer Lopez's ex drops lawsuit
    By MaryJane in forum Gossip Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 31st, 2005, 03:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •