Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Yet another dead anorexic model

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Authority View Post
    I agree. If a fashion designer can make clothes for any size, then that person knows how each different type of figure is shaped. I go to school with fashion design students and they have a whole bunch of ideas for men and women clothing of all sizes, and even they told me it would make sense for all sizes to be represented.

Of course I also agree that the fashion industry is a void of sense. there's no middle ground in my eyes in that industry so it;s gonna be tough for those aspiring desingers. Anyway FAHSION SUCKS!!!
    Yes! Fashion haterz unite! FASHION SUCKS!!!!
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Not to split hairs but...

are these models dying of anorexia OR are they overdosing on "thin" drugs eg coke, speed, etc? Just wondering bc people can live a long time on restricted calories even the malnourished. Also, they say bulimia causes severe stress on the heart, so I wonder if some of these models that are dying are also bulemic.

Quote Originally Posted by Femmefatale View Post
    Not to split hairs but...

are these models dying of anorexia OR are they overdosing on "thin" drugs eg coke, speed, etc? Just wondering bc people can live a long time on restricted calories even the malnourished. Also, they say bulimia causes severe stress on the heart, so I wonder if some of these models that are dying are also bulemic.
    I see your point. But I think it all goes back to the same beast: an eating disorder. Its an eating disorder that pushes them to abuse drugs that make them thin and that take away their appetite and give them energy.

See I disagree about that. I think you can diet to the extreme, starve down and all..and not have an eating disorder..if there is a real life valid reason to do so. It is entirely plausible that some of these models are starved down, doing drugs, etc. to get that way..and know damn well that they are way too thin, but are doing it anyway because they feel the line of work they are in demands it.
    While many may have true anorexia nervosa or bulimia-psychological illness with a number of identifiable symptoms, I think not all of them have it. Some are just trying to be uber thin(and realize they are that thin) to get work.attention..etc. and are just thinking they can get away with it without damaging/killing themselves. Some are truly anorexic, some are just playing russian roulette with their health because of what they perceive to be the demands of their career. Two different things.

Anorexia is a distinct illness characterized by denial, body dysmorphia, and a whole set ot psycho-social behaviors. Not everybody who has intentionally dieted/drugged to an extreme extent is in this group-some know exactly what they are doing, know they are way too thin, are doing it anyway for the job, and are just trying to fit in with what they think will get work for them.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

A*O

Surely a diagnosed eating disorder is more or less like any other 'addiction' with the attendant behavioural and psychological elements (plus a large dose of OCD in my amateur opinion). I firmly believe there are people who are more predisposed to addiction than others and it's often genetic. So I am sure there are stick thin models out there who control their weight with starvation and/or drugs because being the size demanded is a 'tool of the trade' but if they stop modelling they can revert to more normal eating habits (and weight). For others it does become an addiction of sorts and the eating disorder takes over so they can't stop even if they want to, or at least not without a lot of professional help.

And it's not just models. Most dancers, particularly ballet dancers, have to maintain bodies that are almost child-like in size and shape because that's the 'ideal' demanded. Ditto gymnasts. I knew a woman who worked in a ballet/dance school as a pianist and she said the top level dancers lived on cigarettes, coffee and often drugs. Eating disorders were the norm in both the men and women and they obsessed about their weight all the time. It's even harder for dancers because they have to maintain a supberb level of physical fitness whilst starving themselves so they push their bodies to dangerous limits.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Hit By Ban Bus!

i don't want to yip too much about my personal life here, but i can tell you, as a sufferer of bulimia for 20 years. it's pretty horrible. i am fat but i cant lose any weight anymore because everything i eat stays glued to me (metabolism, which is ironic because i've been diagnosed as hyperthyroid and technically i should be losing weight, since i dont take my medication for fear that i'll gain more weight). it's really hard when you are so screwed up that everytime you eat you feel like you have just poisoned yourself so you have to go throw it up because if you feel it in your belly it literally drives you insane. i guess that's kind of OCD in a way. i can't stand feeling food in my body, as soon as i feel it, i get really panicky and want to get rid of it as soon as possible.

i don't throw up all my food, of course, onlyi binge alot, which has probably stopped me from dying years ago. i go through starvation periods and lose about 10lbs and then i go crazy and eat like a pig for a few days not stepping on the scale (when i diet i step on the scale everytime i pee because the scale is next to the toilet). so after a few days of intermittent binging/purging on high high caloric fast food, after going nuts from surviving off of a can of tuna and some spinach. i can say i'm truly fucked up and wish so badly i could get out of this cycle.

i can't get into a treatment centre because i'm not
    "dying"... i take potassium supplements so my heart is fine, and my teeth aren't rotten because i drink a litre of water when i binge to offset the acid. nobody in my family knows the truth, except for my son who found my pukebowl under the bathroom sink and totally grossed out because i forgot to clean it. everyone thinks that i was 'cured' in 1995 when i was in the hospital because i WAS dying (or rather going insane from 100% obsession with my body and destroying my life and relationships with others)

i wish i could talk to young girls about what a fucking insidious destroying disease this is. it's a compulsion. an obsession. even if you do diet and get down to 'healthy' from being a bit overweight... you are never happy. and live in constant paranoia that you will gain it back again. your life is falling apart around you because you dont think people accept you and it's because you are fat, when really it's because you are a moody insecure bitch and push people away.

and the worst part is i'm so jealous of the super skinny models. isn't that totally sick.

i don't know where to start man. i went to one eating disorder group this last summer and the girls were all tiny tiny and im bigger and i felt like a circus freakshow. so i left the group after one session. this is so fucked.

okay... enough tidbits, now y'all know im crazy. lol

Not crazy , that is really brave to admit that you had a problem and that you have struggled with it

Hit By Ban Bus!

thanks, that was the most poorly written thing i've ever done, only because i was so upset writing it, my typing couldn't keep up with my thoughts. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    See I disagree about that. I think you can diet to the extreme, starve down and all..and not have an eating disorder..

Anorexia is a distinct illness characterized by denial, body dysmorphia, and a whole set ot psycho-social behaviors. Not everybody who has intentionally dieted/drugged to an extreme extent is in this group-some know exactly what they are doing, know they are way too thin, are doing it anyway for the job, and are just trying to fit in with what they think will get work for them.
    With all due respect, you are flat-out wrong. I've been in and out of treatment for anorexia for the past ten years. If there's one thing that I most disagree with about your post, its the idea that anorexia has a certain set of behaviors/symtoms, particularly body dysmorphia. That is just not true. I"ve known plenty of anorexics who KNEW they were too thin, who even hated their skeletal bodies and dressed in layers to cover it up, yet who couldn't eat for psychological reasons.

And no matter what you say about it being normal to "intentionally dieted/drugged to an extreme extent" because of one's profession, it isn't. Those people would be classified as what is called ED-NOS, ie Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified. To engage in those behaviors shows an unhealthy fixation on weight and a need to control it no matter what. which is not normal.

Moreover, some people may begin to engage in eating disordered behaviors and think it is all under control. This is where another hallmark of eating disorders comes in: denial. The person thinks everything is a-okay and will deny they have an eating disorder even in the face of obvious evidence.

To starve onself and use drugs over a long period to stay thin is NOT normal. A normal person who has a healthy self-esteem and self-respect wouldn't dream of doing such things to their body. I know that the vast majority of women have "flirted" with starvation/purging, and the majority of them give it up within a month. That behavior is borderline normal.

Everything else is not.

A*O

It's so insidious though. I was at a fairly large social gathering recently with a wide range of people of all ages. There was a lavish buffet set up and it was disturbing to see the teenage girls gingerly picking at the odd celery stick or pushing some fruit salad around a plate while furtively watching what the other girls were eating (or more accurately what they were not eating). Without exception they were drinking water. Nothing wrong with that, but compared to their male counterparts who were tucking in to platefulls of food - all of it very healthy I might add - and slugging back cans of Coke or Red Bull it was very worrying that these girls were already beginning to have 'issues' with food due to peer pressure if nothing else.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

^^ I know, I've been saying for some time that it is almost becoming normal to have an eating disorder now. Its tragic. And its one of the hardest things about recovering from this: everyone else around me is wacked out about food too. THere is just about no one I can look to to learn how "normal" people deal with food.

Its my oppinion that these women are not dying of anorexia. Its a lot more likely they are dying from organ stress as a result of drug use or as a result of bulemia. It would seem that Bulemia is far worse than anorexia for the body --the heart is just being abused every time you purge. Anorexics really arent in danger UNTIL theyre body fat % gets dangerously low. Bulemics on the other hand can be at risk even at a normal body weight

I have a cousin who has been bulemic for years. I have never in my life binged/purged--I am def the type who would go the "anorexic route" if anything at all. I watch what I eat but no pills/supplements/tricks. I have maintained my weight since puberty, my cousin on the other hand has not only fluctuated a good 30lbs all her life, but has never even been "skinny-skinny" except in the very begining of her bulemia for a short time.

Ive studied a lot about eating disorders in school, and it is in my oppinion that bulemia is worse on the body than anorexia and harder to recover from bc with bulemics, esp w my cousin, "recovering" usually means you stop purging but it doesnt necessarily mean you stop bingeing. I also wonder why we never hear about the potential of developing diseases such as diabetes from bingeing.

I have also been struggeling with eating disorder of some kind. It all started when I was 16 years old and was going to buy some pants but didn't fit any at the store. I felt so fat and I have never had any weight issue in my life. So I started a diet wich developted into extreme diet and bulimia. When my parents caught me they sent me to a doctor and a psychologist. It took a loong time to "recover". Once you've got an eating disorder it will follow you forever. I eat healthy but I will never stop worry about my weight some how...

Now I am 20 and I'm trying to change my way of thinking. I refuse to worry about the size of my pants and number on the scale etc.. I work out a couple of times a week and try to stay fit. Thanks to that I feel great about myself because I feel healthy and not starved.

What scares me most is that many of my friends or people I know of is struggeling about this too. They don't feel worthy because they don't wear the "right" size... It's crazy! People in my life I love so much is destroying themselves to fit into today's image of what people should look like!

Sorry for my rambling...

Egolita: start by throwing Satan's instrument out (the scales ).

A*O

I'm really glad that so many posters with ED 'secrets' feel able to share their experiences here. It's a LOT more common than we realise and it's not confined to 'silly' teenagers. Just last week a friend had to sack her full time nanny because this girl was a severe bulimic and was neglecting the kids in order to binge/purge almost all the time. It was only when my friend came home early from work one day that she heard what was going on in the bathroom and suddenly put 2 and 2 together over the MASSIVE amount of food that was being bought and consumed in the household during the week. She tried to arrange for some professional help for the nanny but the offer was rejected.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information