Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Yet another dead anorexic model

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Nobody is saying these women (and sometimes men) wake up one morning and say "Hey, I think I'll be anorexic", but they DO decide one day to go on a diet because they think they are "too fat" for whatever reason. The anorexia kicks in later. And I have noticed that people who do perhaps need to lose a few pounds can lose the weight without it becoming an obsession/illness and that anorexics are usually people who were never overweight or 'fat' in the first place.
    I feel very strongly about this because a lot of people are very misinformed about anorexia, (not saying that any of ya'll are! Just people in general). A lot of people say stuff like, 'Oh it's their own fault...' 'They chose this lifestyle...' blah blah (which by the way I would like to point out, the true illness of Anorexia Nervosa, it IS NOT a lifestyle...).

And I know that none of you were saying people don't wake up and go, 'Hey I think I'll be anorexic this morning!' I was just using that as an example. No one chooses to develop an eating disorder. It is triggered by unresolved and underlying issues most of the time, (which in my case it was a lot of family problems...I was worried about my g-ma, my parents were having problems, I was just starting high school, I felt like that was the summer that I lost control of my life...so now that I look back, it makes sense- If I was going to develop an ED during any time in my life I can definately see why it was that summer 6 years ago...)

Yes, it's true that we choose to diet, but most of us think it'll end up being just that...a harmless diet.

For me actually it was just the opposite...not all anorexics are people who have never been overweight or fat in the first place...

In my case, I actually was slightly overweight and had been most of my life. But at the time, maybe by about 10-15 lbs...but I didn't really look that big, but I decided to go on a harmless diet anyways and drop the extra lbs before school started.

True that the anorexia comes in later...my diet started off as a diet but progressed into a living nightmare that will haunt me forever, the sad thing is is that I didn't even see it coming, didn't even know what hit me until I was already spiraling out of control.

Also, the weird thing in my case...is that before I developed my eating disorder, (like I said I was already overweight for my height...) I actually saw myself as thinner than I was...when in reality I was kind of chubby...but then after seeing some pictures of myself I saw the REAL me and decided to diet, lose a few before school and everything would be hunky dory. Boy, was I wrong...then of course after the anorexia set in when I looked in the mirror at the time I saw fat even though I wasn't...wow, it's very complicated and depressing thing to have to go through...it just completely drains you of all energy...

The brain doesn't need blood. It just needs to be kept wet.

A*O

Thanks for the insider's view Jenny - you are kinda confirming what I said. How are you doing now?
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Thanks for the insider's view Jenny - you are kinda confirming what I said. How are you doing now?
    No problem.

I don't mind bringing up or discussing my own personal life experiences- good or bad- because I'm hoping it may help someone, and that they realize that they aren't alone, and also I like to inform people who might not know a lot about the subject.

As for how I'm doing now-

Low and behold it's true, at least in my case, what they say, once [something] always [something].

I first developed anorexia when I was, I believe 15 going on 16...which would have been the summer of 2001...struggled with that for a couple of years, it got pretty bad, (and unfortunately as I mentioned in my previous rambling posts my family, friends and I were all in a severe denial while I was sick so I never got any professional help...) but then eventually I just started to slowly kind of pull myself out of the cycle and slowly recovered on my own, very slowly though.

I'm 20 now and I've been struggling with my weight since I was in middle school. The ED 'voice' inside my head will never go away no matter how much I weigh or how much older I get. It will always be there...but I have hope that one day I can truly become happy with myself and my body.

I've recently started to relapse though and the sad thing is, is that I probably could have avoided this, if I would have received the professional help I needed when I first developed an ED...I mean, I don't think I'd still be struggling (as much)- 6 years later...

lol, wow here I go rambling again...sorry I talk too much.

Anyways, thanks for asking A*O. =)

The brain doesn't need blood. It just needs to be kept wet.

And the fashion industry still doesn't care.
    You know what? It doesn't matter anymore. This whole "thin is good" idea had put down his roots long time ago. It doesn't matter if there would be fat models on the catwalk. Kids all over grew up with pumped minds that thin is the ideal. We need to reeducate kids so they'll know that thin is not necessity a good thing, especially when it's achieved in the wrong ways.

Moreover, people also have to stop saying eating disorders are genetic, it's mainly because of our fucked up society that praises thinness.

A*O

It doesn't matter if there would be fat models on the catwalk.
    Not even 'fat' - just a healthy 120lbs would be a good start.

In fact there's a whole separate 'Plus Size' industry which caters for the size 16+ market and that's fine. There just doesn't seem to be anything for the majority of 'normal size' women in the size 10,12,14 range.

You either have to be a size 4 or a size 24 for the industry to care.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Elite Member

Interestingly enough, even the plus-sized models aren't truly plus-sized. Look at the Lane Bryant models. They are like size 10-12. Kimberly Locke, for instance. After Idol and after slimming down a bit, she was asked to model their jeans brand.

LB has experimented with larger models in the past, they don't get the results that the slimmer models do. Even our older mannequins are smaller than a size 14, we have to pin everything. We definitely have at least 1 model who is a size 14, her name is Myisha (or some spelling similar to that), she is a size 14 top, size 16 bottom. We've used her for years and her body is the actual model for the newest mannequins-and the clothes in the store fit the mannequins perfectly

This picture is well shot and makes her look smaller, but she does the quarterly videos for the staff too, and she is definitely the right size for the clothing.

ETA: Here's one that shows her a little closer to her size

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Authority View Post
    Who the fuck wears that guady looking shit anyway? never seen anyone wear anything out of a fashion show.
    Exactly, only celebrities and the very rich. Things have to change and stick thin celebrities aren't helping anything. Kate Winslet should be the norm.
    Into the sunrise. The sunset is sad to me….it only means the night is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Authority View Post
    Seriously fashion shows suck ass anyway. Who the fuck wears that guady looking shit anyway? never seen anyone wear anything out of a fashion show.
    It all sucks if you ask me. Even if I was wealthy I would not buy any of that shit.
    If I want a Halloween costume I'll go to Party City.

It's such a shame that these young girls are dying, especially when it's over something as silly as having to fit into those tacky ass clothes.

Silver Member

I went to Chloe Dao's ( Project Runway winner) Shop in Houston. She designs in every size. Emmett from Runway does as well. I have heard that Michael Knight designs for " thicker" ( gotta love the urban designers) women.

GOOD designers don't need coat hangers to show off their clothes. GOOD designers can make a a donkey look like a thoroughbred. Wouldn't it make business sense to show clothes on a variety of shapes and sizes...oh WAIT that makes sense, sense doesn't belong in fashion.
    http://dorkdejour.blogspot.com Just Pimpin my Podcast!!

NoDayButToday, that model is so pretty though And she looks happy, as opposed to the usual skinny miserable looking types.

Elite Member

Thank you Jenny. Its good to know that someone else on here is so understanding of this condition.

AN is an addiction. You wouldnt say that an alcoholic chooses to be an alcoholic, in society its well known as an illness. For some reason when it has something to do with food or body image or self esteem its considered vanity. Nobody understands how NOT eating or how Throwing up or overeating or any of that can be seen as an addiction. It is.
    "Don't think that sticking your boobs out and trying to look fuckable will help. Remember your in a rock and roll band. It's not "Fuck Me", It's "Fuck You!"
    Chrissie Hynde

Quote Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
    Interestingly enough, even the plus-sized models aren't truly plus-sized. Look at the Lane Bryant models. They are like size 10-12.
    This was how it started out. Now the plus-sized modeling world is getting just as sick as the regular modeling world. They routinely tell their girls that they aren't big enough. They want models who are a size 16-24 and the girls wind up stuffing themselves because their agents told them they have to gain weight to get work.

Its insane. I used to model when I myself had an eating disorder. And once I recovered, I thought about going into plus-size modeling (I was about a size 8), but then I talked to some agencies and soon realized I was NOWHERE near big enough for plus-sized modeling.

All the normal weights are gettting completely lost in between the extremes.

A*O

I thought about going into plus-size modeling (I was about a size 8),
    Dear God - That's a UK size 10 or 12 max. And that's considered a PLUS size??

Quote Originally Posted by MgMMD View Post
    I went to Chloe Dao's ( Project Runway winner) Shop in Houston. She designs in every size. Emmett from Runway does as well. I have heard that Michael Knight designs for " thicker" ( gotta love the urban designers) women.

GOOD designers don't need coat hangers to show off their clothes. GOOD designers can make a a donkey look like a thoroughbred. Wouldn't it make business sense to show clothes on a variety of shapes and sizes...oh WAIT that makes sense, sense doesn't belong in fashion.
    I agree. If a fashion designer can make clothes for any size, then that person knows how each different type of figure is shaped. I go to school with fashion design students and they have a whole bunch of ideas for men and women clothing of all sizes, and even they told me it would make sense for all sizes to be represented.

Of course I also agree that the fashion industry is a void of sense. there's no middle ground in my eyes in that industry so it;s gonna be tough for those aspiring desingers. Anyway FAHSION SUCKS!!!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information