Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Yet another dead anorexic model

A*O

Nobody is saying these women (and sometimes men) wake up one morning and say "Hey, I think I'll be anorexic", but they DO decide one day to go on a diet because they think they are "too fat" for whatever reason. The anorexia kicks in later. And I have noticed that people who do perhaps need to lose a few pounds can lose the weight without it becoming an obsession/illness and that anorexics are usually people who were never overweight or 'fat' in the first place.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Actually from my experience I would say at least 40% or so started out as seriously overweight. Many had started normal diets and then they just kind of went berserk in a way. I do not know how it is now..but when I was sick with it I found that many of the stereotypes(wealthy or upper middle class teens) did not apply. There were old, young, wealthy and poor, male and female(3 other males besides myself in for the same thing at the same time..amd two of them straight..one a star athlete).

The one thing that did connect us all and we all had in common were problems, unresolved 'issues', or some kind of psychological problem. Psychologically healthy people do NOT get anorexia.

Also I found that more than half of the anorexics eventually developed bulemia or were anorexic with bulemic tendencies. It was very common. The body would start to win often, and starving peiople would eventually break and binge eat..and with the anorexia still there, the guilt would come, then the purging..and so the eating disorder would blossom out into another form(in some ways even worse).
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Nobody is saying these women (and sometimes men) wake up one morning and say "Hey, I think I'll be anorexic", but they DO decide one day to go on a diet because they think they are "too fat" for whatever reason. The anorexia kicks in later. And I have noticed that people who do perhaps need to lose a few pounds can lose the weight without it becoming an obsession/illness and that anorexics are usually people who were never overweight or 'fat' in the first place.
    The bolded part I found to be very true. It was exactly that way in my case..just wanted to lose the 20 pounds or so I had gained working at an ice cream restaurant....had NO idea what I was in store for. The thing that seperates the anorexics from the other dieters is the underlying issues. And maybe some other factors that I am not aware of as well... who knows???)

I think it’s sad anytime someone so young dies.

Eliana models a bikini and, right, her older sister Luisel on the catwalk shortly before her death

Photo Source: Catwalk girl, 18, dies six months after her model sister starved herself to death | the Daily Mail
    Scariest Halloween mask ever > > >

^^ the one on the right..look at her thigh! it is a bone! She has the 'look' of extreme starvation. Not only is it the weight thing..but what they do to get that way. bulemia, nutritional deficiences, etc. all throw the body chemistry so out of whack. They simply should not have let them on the catwalk looking like that(obviously starved and not just 'naturally thin'). The fashion industry does have to take some fucking responsibility for allowing them on the fucking catwalk like that. It is sickening.

A*O

At the risk of trotting out my pet theory yet again (zzzzzzzzzz) I firmly believe that the fashion industry demands stick thin, androgenous models as the 'ideal shape' because of the high proportion of gay men who design, photograph, style, manage in that business as a whole. The clothes they put out there only look good on basically a 'male' form, ie tall with no tits, no hips, no bum, long legs. These girls have to starve themselves into that shape because they have no alternative if they want to work.

I remember one of those Top Model shows (can't remember which one) when the girls went to a high-end fashion house to model some evening wear designed by a screaming queen. One poor girl who weighed a 'massive' 110lbs was reduced to tears because the bitch/designer told her that she was way too fat and made his clothes look horrible. He actually told her to go away, lose 20lbs and then come back. I know it's an extreme example but it was a good illustration of the thinking and attitudes in that business.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

^^ well..do you have any statistics to go with the theory? How many of the designers really are gay men? I have to admit I do not know much about the industry. I just know that having those models on the runway is ridiculous.

I know the 'thin' ideal did not come about really until the 1920's ..and Coco Chanel led it at that time. I wonder how much it is just self-perpetuating at this point. And do gay men really 'idealize' the male form through the design process by designing for stick figures? I think a muscular form is more the 'ideal' if anything..and especially with HIV and all..a ''healthy' look is idealized more than anything..not these pathetic stickfigures that look like death itself.
    If anything I think they just have this mindset of designing for something that does not exist. Just like those old sewing patterns/books my mother had..all the design looked like the women were 14 feet tall. I think the men may really design for what they think women really idolize..in other words..they are clueless. anybody got any more info on this subject?

Why the hell are men designing for women anyway? Why don't they just design for men? The whole fashion industry is a ridiculous load of crap anyway. That is one stereotype that I certainly do not fit in with as a gay guy. Fashion SUCKS! Give me a fucking tee shirt and jeans! Down with fashion!!!!!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    ^^
    Why the hell are men designing for women anyway? Why don't they just design for men? The whole fashion industry is a ridiculous load of crap anyway. That is one stereotype that I certainly do not fit in with as a gay guy. Fashion SUCKS! Give me a fucking tee shirt and jeans! Down with fashion!!!!!! lol
    I agree with you 100 % I don't agree with fashion either i'm a jeans and tee-shirt kinda girl I hate dressing up.

Me and you both, shedevilang.

I'd be miserable if I had to wear most of the crap I see on those models!! It's ugly and uncomfortable looking IMO.

A*O

^^ well..do you have any statistics to go with the theory? How many of the designers really are gay men? I have to admit I do not know much about the industry. I just know that having those models on the runway is ridiculous.
    No stats because as I say it's my pet theory and I have no idea how many designers are gay but I'm prepared to bet it's the majority. I'm not into fashion either but I do know that most of the 'big' names are gay:

Karl Lagerfeld
    Yves St Laurent
    Alexander McQueen
    Jean Paul Gautier
    John Galliano
    Tom Ford
    Gianni Versace
    Georgio Armani
    Ralph Lauren (?)
    Not sure about Lacroix or the old school French designers like Dior, Balmain, etc but I'm sure someone can tell us

As for straight designers I can only think of Calvin Klein but as I say, I'm not into fashion so there are probably plenty more although not so well known. I don't think skinny models are a new phenomenon - certainly Twiggy started the trend again in the 1960s after many years of fashions that catered to a more 'natural' female shape like the snappy tailored and fitted suits of the 1940s and the New Look (ALL tits and hips) in the 1950s. Before that it was the flatter shape of the 20s and 30s. It goes in cycles.

Women should just revolt and refuse to wear any of the shit that these designers are putting out. Make a statement that if they are going to design clothes that are only suitable for coathangers..then they can get coathangers to buy the stupid stuff. And boycott designers who use emaciated stick figures to show off their clothes on the catwalks. Change has to start somewhere, somehow, sometime. When runway models are dropping dead from starvation/the effects of starvation then it is time to make some changes.

Yeah and I must admit it is embarrassing as a gay guy that so many gay designers are into this shit and are helping to perpetuate this crap onto women.

Calvin Klein isn't straight, even though he is married. So many male designers are gay, but female designers are little better when it comes to demanding bone racks for models. Same with magazine editors/fashion and beauty editors, male or female.

That's what I'm saying. I go to school with a fashion design program and they had this mock fashion show thing, I saw a gay guy and a girl fighting because the guy told the girl that she was too "curvy" and regular to be on the catwalk (the girl was short but looked normal too me). Stupid ass punk.

Seriously fashion shows suck ass anyway. Who the fuck wears that guady looking shit anyway? never seen anyone wear anything out of a fashion show.

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    female designers are little better when it comes to demanding bone racks for models. Same with magazine editors/fashion and beauty editors, male or female.
    Exactly, the paradigm for the 'perfect' woman (on the catwalk at least) is stick thin and anyone who tries to kick against it in an industry that's already a dog eat dog jungle gets shut out in the cold. Women designers, as in life, have to work twice as hard to make it anyway so they are not going to buck the trend and start designing for mere mortals like us because the stick brigade would just close ranks to protect their niche in the market.

wow thats so sad, beautiful girls... I hope those two were not their only kids, that would be depressing losing all your children.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information