Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Like Tree302Likes

Thread: Weight Loss Plans for 2018

Since New Years I've been eating like I have 2 assholes. Well as much as one can eat with a stomach not much bigger than a large egg. It's been more about bad choices than quantity. Ive been trying to take off this last 12-13 pounds and I'm now up one pound since 1/1. It's an incentive to get back on track.
    Laurent and bootspaige like this.

Day 28 and I'm going great without sugar. Other than my Day 5 muffin-relapse, and a small pear cider two weeks ago, I haven't caved at all. It's not even tempting me anymore, even though we've got a new chef at work who cooks amazing pastries, and any leftovers are free at the end of the day. I would have swooped on them a month ago, but now when I'm faced with them it makes me feel good that I've managed to turn off the switch in my brain that would have spontaneously slobbered over them. Now, sugary things just look like piles of teeth-rotting garbage. It's like I've emerged from being brainwashed.

My appetite is getting back to normal but I'm still eating four decent servings a day, and more whenever I get hungry. I don't weigh myself but I'm feeling much lighter around the middle and starting to see it when I button up my trousers. I'm in no rush, this is for life, but I'm still going to avoid sugar completely for another couple of months. After that, I'll see how I'm going, but eventually I want to be able to join in for the occasional birthday cake or whatever without being "that" person.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

I've started low carb for the first time. In the past I've done lower fat and counted calories to drop lbs, but I'm about to hit 40 and it seems like it's not working now. I've never counted carbs like this, but I have co-workers who swear by it, so I'm trying it. It feels weird not to obsessively count fat in every food label.

I felt like hammered shit the first day, but it hasn't been too bad after that. I'm ready and willing for my body to use my midsection and ass for fuel now.
    fgg and Beeyotch like this.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

czb

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    Day 28 and I'm going great without sugar. Other than my Day 5 muffin-relapse, and a small pear cider two weeks ago, I haven't caved at all. It's not even tempting me anymore, even though we've got a new chef at work who cooks amazing pastries, and any leftovers are free at the end of the day. I would have swooped on them a month ago, but now when I'm faced with them it makes me feel good that I've managed to turn off the switch in my brain that would have spontaneously slobbered over them. Now, sugary things just look like piles of teeth-rotting garbage. It's like I've emerged from being brainwashed.

My appetite is getting back to normal but I'm still eating four decent servings a day, and more whenever I get hungry. I don't weigh myself but I'm feeling much lighter around the middle and starting to see it when I button up my trousers. I'm in no rush, this is for life, but I'm still going to avoid sugar completely for another couple of months. After that, I'll see how I'm going, but eventually I want to be able to join in for the occasional birthday cake or whatever without being "that" person.
    awesome!

do you still drink alcohol?

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    awesome!

do you still drink alcohol?
    Yes but not much, even before I ditched sugar. I only have one or two a month on average, so the odd glass of champagne probably won't send me off track.
    czb and Beeyotch like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Rock on Faithanne!

Laurent, if you can rethink how all the nutrition data has been reevaluated, this kind of eating is Mediterranean. Healthy fats assist in weight loss and it's the high sugar (and the 50 plus words representing sugar in foods) that make us gain weight. Healthy fats are necessary for weight loss and brain health, though they do have to be watched for calorie intake. We can't eat five avocados or half a cup of olive oil per day. Eat olive oil or grass fed butter at breakfast with eggs. More healthy fat keeps us fuller longer and keeps away sugar cravings. I learned a lot from Eat This Not That. Also think of nutrition packed meals. A sweet potato/yam, salad with spinach, olives, a little feta, grape leaves, yellow peppers, half a small avocado, cucumbers etc, homemade vinaigrette. Roasted broccoli and cauliflower, 4 oz of protein and you'll be full.

Dr. Mark Hyman explains the outdated and scientifically disproven data. He's speaking about the American diet.

https://youtu.be/V2Lx9kI7j4s

and explains what we should eat.

214: Dr. Mark Hyman - What The Heck Should I Eat? ? Ketogenic Diet Hype ? Meat As A Condiment

Eat This, Not That! No-Diet Weight Loss, Nutrition Tips and More
    Laurent and Beeyotch like this.

I half listened to this story on NPR about studies now showing that weight loss is individual. Or at least more individual than previously thought. DNA, lifestyle, gender, psychology and physiology all play a part.

That's to say healthy eating is a known standard but the individual may have to tweak based on her make up. My friend can eat perfectly (and does) but if she isn't hard core cardio'ing on a regular basis, her weight goes up.

I've tried lots of things and failed. Including when calorie counter apps first came out. I limited myself to 1200 calories a day and took spin classes 4 times a week. Not a pound.

Cut carbs? It comes right off. Another friend can't low carb it. She gets sick and mean and fucking hates her life, lol. Cut out fat though? Trims right down.

Do what works for you.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    I read everyone's posts and the above cover what I was thinking about. I've changed my way of eating about four times in the last two plus years. I did it for health and well being. I always ate real food but I got rid of my food related stomach issues and then continued on. I've done a lot of reading, cooking and continuous refining of what has worked best for me. I don't need to lose weight, I wanted to eat real, unprocessed food for long term health and prevention. To do whatever I possibly can. If I get sick, at least I tried my best.

My guru is Dr. Mark Hyman and I read Dr. David Perlumutter. Dr. Mosely in the UK does the same premise. Your plate is vegetables and salad, small amount of protein, small amount of good carbs and good fats (olive oil, almonds, salmon and avocados).

I stopped eating anything with sugar. It took me seven weeks and I stopped being hungry or craving anything. For me, eliminating sugar changed everything. I eat low glycemic fruits (dark berries) and don't eat processed food. Nothing from a box. Canned tomatoes. I don't need to read labels. I want to eat whole, real food that I've prepared. I want to make the time. The American Diet is the worst and the data has been reevaluated by the above physicians and it's getting there by the American government but they're not there yet.

Since we're talking about what works for each of us, I think (again, in the US), people eat too much food. Too much on their plates. I've seen the Weight Watchers plan and it looks like too much food. Out of curiosity, I filled in my daily meals with every single ingredient on My Fitness Pal, which breaks down the all the macros and nutrients. After I saw exactly what I was taking in, I refined it even more. Now each meal is nutrient packed and efficient. I'm eating for nutrition, not pleasure. When I go to a restaurant I know whatever I order, no matter what they say, it's filled with oil, sugar and fats. That's why restaurant food tastes so good.

Sorry to sound so boring, but eating this way won't ever put weight on you. Other things might, but not
    eating this way. I basically grocery shop for the same foods every week and mix it up. I think you have to cook. They say 90% of American's don't like to cook. I see Lean Cuisine and Hot Pockets in people's refrigerators.

Beeyotch mentioned the Ketogenic way of eating and I read a lot about that too. That kicked me off a few months ago with Intermittent Fasting. That was a challenge but I really like it. I was always a midnight snacker. Just something before bed. Sleep is when you burn it off. Intermittent Fasting is a eating within a window of time chosen by you for maximum fat burning. My chosen window of time is 11 am to 9 pm. About 10 pm I'll drink cucumber, celery, aloe, fresh ginger and a bunch of parsley made in the Nutribullet which is fat burning while I sleep. It's a perky little drink.

All these little tricks become second nature and you just do it without thinking. Might as well show you what I've been cooking.

Homemade broccoli and egg muffin with Jalapeno "Almond" cheese (tastes exactly like cows milk cheese.

Homemade coconut flour, coconut oil blueberry muffins. No sugar. The blueberries flavor it. Like 3 carbs per muffin.

Pea shoots and radishes, tomatoes and olives with homemade mustard vinaigrette.
    Your food looks yummy!

There are people who are on WW who try to get as much food as they can for the points -- so they eat a lot of "fake" food. I'd rather eat real and eat less. If you do that, you don't over consume in a day. You eat very reasonably. I think the hardest part, with any eating plan, is changing your mindset and realizing it is for life, and not just until the weight comes off. Maintaining your weight in the long run is the most difficult part of this.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Your food looks yummy!

There are people who are on WW who try to get as much food as they can for the points -- so they eat a lot of "fake" food. I'd rather eat real and eat less. If you do that, you don't over consume in a day. You eat very reasonably. I think the hardest part, with any eating plan, is changing your mindset and realizing it is for life, and not just until the weight comes off. Maintaining your weight in the long run is the most difficult part of this.
    This is so true - I think I've finally come around to it. That pudding cup might only be 100 calories but it has zero nutritional value to me. The Lean Cusine might only be 7 points but I'm going to be starving 30 minutes later and adding tick marks to my sodium levels. Now I focus on putting as much fresh and whole foods into my body as I can.

January was successful in some ways - I didn't eat any fast food (I used to eat it at least once a day daily...often times twice a day), I packed my lunch everyday for work, I didn't count calories but I was mindful with my eating and I did yoga for 30 days in a row!

I only lost 4 pounds though (my goal was 5) so I decided to give the new WW program a try. I was going to do meetings but I had a crappy experience at my first one so I'll just be doing online plus for now. It's going OK - we'll see when my next weight in comes around.

Anyway, I kind of rambled. I just wanted to get in on this gang.
    tulip and twitchy2.0 like this.
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

I lost a lot of weight in early - mid 2017. I was dealing with a breakup (which I posted about here) and started walking. I absolutely hate exercise. But I would get home from work everyday, change and hit the boardwalk. I made a few playlists of my favorite songs. The boardwalk was 4 miles (r/t) and I loved it. Must have been the ocean air. I was also tracking my calories in My Fitness Pal (I also used Map My Walk which fed into MFP). Within 4 months I'd lost a lot of weight. Not sure how much because I didn't weigh myself, but I felt much lighter and my clothes fit a lot nicer. Then my dog had surgery on both back legs in early summer, I got over the breakup and sabotaged myself by eating unhealthy and not walking. Not sure why, I really would look forward to it everyday.
    Vera Donovan: (Dolores Claiborne) : Sometimes you have to be a high-riding bitch to survive. Sometimes being a bitch is all a woman has to hold onto.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by o0Amber0o View Post
    This is so true - I think I've finally come around to it. That pudding cup might only be 100 calories but it has zero nutritional value to me. The Lean Cusine might only be 7 points but I'm going to be starving 30 minutes later and adding tick marks to my sodium levels. Now I focus on putting as much fresh and whole foods into my body as I can.

January was successful in some ways - I didn't eat any fast food (I used to eat it at least once a day daily...often times twice a day), I packed my lunch everyday for work, I didn't count calories but I was mindful with my eating and I did yoga for 30 days in a row!

I only lost 4 pounds though (my goal was 5) so I decided to give the new WW program a try. I was going to do meetings but I had a crappy experience at my first one so I'll just be doing online plus for now. It's going OK - we'll see when my next weight in comes around.

Anyway, I kind of rambled. I just wanted to get in on this gang.
    Good for you! Turtles...they always win the race in the end.

The bottom line is anything that can get you healthier is what counts.

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    Michael Mosely did a doco (not sure how recently but within the last couple of years I think) that showed the effects of different fasting routines on his body, and it was all good. Some of his levels went from borderline chronic back down to below average, and at the end of it he seemed to be a convert. I think the routine that worked best for him was 5 days on/2 days off, which seems a bit extreme to me but he found it relatively easy to adjust to. Next time I have a week off work I might try it.
    My husband lost about 5 kilo's on this diet. Actually 8, but then he 'relaxed' it a bit since that was a bit much and now it is about 5kg. He mostly did it for his health (cholesterol and liver count, which improved so much) but he also loves how much he has lost without 'real' effort, meaning yes those 2 days are hard but it's not like dieting for weeks at a time. PLus it works
    We started with the Dr Longo 5 days of IMF, I calculated the content of the food so much and kind of copied his diet that comes in a box with fresh options and then continued the 2;5.
    sprynkles likes this.

I'm going the wrong direction!!!

Gotta get back on the wagon. I'm a tax accountant, so this time of year is crazy busy, but I have a home gym and plenty of healthy food in the freezer so I just need to stop being lazy and do what I know works.
    sprynkles likes this.

Stella, when you're doing those late nights of tax work make sure that you can come home to healthy, prepared food. Prep stuff whenever you can. When I've done a 15 hour day the last thing I want to do is peel a cucumber. I'll have the items in the refrigerator, put them in a pyrex dish and stick it in the oven. My salad is already ready. I'll change into my house clothes, set the table and it's ready. I just don't want to eat pizza because I'm starving and lazy.

I made this tonight for tonight and tomorrow.

Also, I don't have any concept of cooking for two or more like this. Who here would be preparing a healthy, mindful meal for themselves and be preparing a different meal for their partner and children? Or would the partner be preparing yours and theirs?

My usual move is to throw some cheese on a tortilla and pop it in the toaster oven. And then keep going back to the kitchen for whatever I can munch on until I fall asleep. I need to just make a point of cooking a real (easy but healthy) dinner that has some substance so I don't get the munchies.

That stir fry looks great!
    Beeyotch likes this.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread Information