Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Like Tree302Likes

Thread: Weight Loss Plans for 2018

Work stress has ultimately affected my health in almost every nursing job I've ever had. It's very discouraging. I'm good at what I do, and enjoy the meat and bones of it (the actual skills and patient care part) but I have considered a complete career change because it seems like things that are way beyond my control and too reliant upon others doing their job effectively always end up being a factor resulting in me being overworked and under-slept/rested/fed/bathroom-breaked, etc. This has been an issue even with the job I have now, which is traditionally one of the least stressful and least physically demanding areas while still being actively involved in patient care.

When I take a good hard look at it, my health has really went downhill since becoming a nurse. Compared to what I was used to before.

It's just hard when you know you have skills that are really needed in the world. I know not everyone could understand, and it feels a bit strange to actually verbalize, but I feel very selfish for even considering it. (Leaving the field). I already feel like a lazybones for doing what I do instead of being in the thick of it on a hospital unit.

Anyway, besides just getting older, I know that this is a major factor in why I cannot lose weight beyond a certain point and successfully keep it off like I used to. Honestly right now I'm just doing good to keep my body in working order and not gain any more (which would make that harder). I just know I can't keep on living like this.
    gas_chick likes this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I had put on a bunch of weight (went from 115lbs to 145lbs) over the course of a couple years after I broke my sternum. I stopped working out frequently because of how long it took for my sternum to heal. I then just got lazy and stopped taking care of myself as a result.
    I knew I was bigger, but I had no clue how 'big' I was until I looked at some pictures in July. It crushed me.

I've been struggling to stay consistent with my exercise, but I'm working on it. I'm down to 131lbs. If I can get to 125lbs, I'll be happy. I don't need to get back down to the 115lbs range.

I find I'm at my best when I meal prep on Sundays. I'll cook all my lunches for the week and get everything organized. Monday morning, I'll take all my containers and put them in the fridge at work. This way I don't have to worry about it, I also don't buy lunch when at work. It also helps keep me on track if I spend the night at my boyfriend's during the week, I already have my lunch at work.
    For the most part, I have stopped putting sugar in my coffee. I'll just drink it black OR sometimes put cream in it.

Now that the boyfriend is closer to healing and is back in the gym, he's back to tracking his food as well (He follows Avatar Nutrition). I'll inevitably eat better with him because he measures food, portions, "macros", etc.

I have a pink dress and a black dress that I absolutely love and my goal is to be able to wear them comfortably by May 10. (My birthday)
    MohandasKGanja, pwry and fgg like this.

What about teaching, Ms Dark?

Having a partner who eats right is a good thing dallison. You are lucky.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    I'd meet you in the kitchen at midnight for that snack.

I don't know how people can go days w/o eating. Aren't you ready to kill someone at some point?
    I've done intermittent fasting and 48 hr fasts. The trick is
    1) avoid hunger from sugar crashes by making your body adapt to fat burning. This means cutting carbs down to nearly zero. Preferably for 1-2 weeks before attempting a fast. It blew my mind how after the initial hump (18-24 hrs) hunger simply went away. I felt like I discovered a magic trick.

And

2)avoid psychological hunger by keeping yourself/ mind busy
    CornFlakegrl likes this.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post

I feel you! I eat the worst cereals, too. Captain Crunch, Lucky Charms, Cinnamon Toast crunch. And I mean all three in one sitting.
    Mine are Honey Nut Cheerios and Honey Bunches of Oats. Bad news.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    Michael Mosely did a doco (not sure how recently but within the last couple of years I think) that showed the effects of different fasting routines on his body, and it was all good. Some of his levels went from borderline chronic back down to below average, and at the end of it he seemed to be a convert. I think the routine that worked best for him was 5 days on/2 days off, which seems a bit extreme to me but he found it relatively easy to adjust to. Next time I have a week off work I might try it.
    One of my managers on a temping job was on this and it was utter hell, not just for her but for anyone who came into contact with her. She stopped it after the second week when the extreme mood swings, tiredness and nausea got too much for her. I think perhaps you need to be someone who is quite zealous about weight loss to cope with this diet.

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    I think I saw that one a few years back. On the 2 fasting days I think you're allowed 500 calories?
    That's the one. 500 calories per day is very, very little when translated into food terms, even if you go with the healthy options.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    I think perhaps you need to be someone who is quite zealous about weight loss to cope with this diet.
    I don't think he was doing it for weight loss exclusively, and it wasn't geared towards that on the program I saw, which IIRC was about living longer. They made more out of the reduction in the levels of various things in his body, like cholesterol etc but even more specific than that (me no do science good) were all the other results for different readings that had formerly been dangerous and were now better than normal. Plus he lost a lot of weight around his middle and fat around the organs (I think? Science again).
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Yes. Fasting has many health benefits. It's actually pretty amazing once you start learning about it. It sort of resets things in your system.
    Beeyotch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bootspaige View Post
    Just curious if anyone is excited about a specific weight loss program that may have similar goals/ lifestyles....need to lose about 30-40 lbs. I have a corp exec job and a blended family of 5 kids, ages 11-17. I am 47 and go to boot camps and orangetheory sporadically but get plagued with fatigue/ shin issues. I am working out abot 3X a week and know i probably should be doing something every day. I have had success with Ideal Protein but it wasn't sustainable. i've been told that i have a mixed carb/protein need based on my blood specifics. if i don't have a plan and left to my own devices, i tend to gain weight. i know it should be an easy formula! Any suggestions welcome other than eat less, move more! (just kidding)
    Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    I don't eat any "fake" food -- I limit fat and sugar, and don't try to make it up with artificial sweeteners or reduced fat. You can do it. The fake stuff doesn't make me feel good. I'd rather eat less than eat fake.

I'm not trying to sound like I own stock in WW -- but it is very flexible. I am losing weight VERY slowly this time, but I'm living life and enjoying it. I'm not "on" or "off." It's taken me decades to be able to have this relationship with food. I will never be able to not watch what I eat, but I'm OK with that, it's just the new normal.

Good luck with whatever you try!
    Quote Originally Posted by stella blue View Post
    I've had pretty good luck counting calories in My Fitness Pal. I've slacked a bit with the holidays and being sick and now traveling, but when I get home from vacation, I am getting back on the wagon. I do better when I eat fewer carbs, but I'm not strictly keto or anything like that. I have to have a calorie goal, though - just "eating until I'm satisfied" is not gonna happen.

My friend has lost over 100 pounds on Ideal Protein and she's looking and feeling fantastic. She's been religious about it - zero cheating - I'm really proud of her, but nofuckingway could I do that unless it was a matter of life and death.
    I read everyone's posts and the above cover what I was thinking about. I've changed my way of eating about four times in the last two plus years. I did it for health and well being. I always ate real food but I got rid of my food related stomach issues and then continued on. I've done a lot of reading, cooking and continuous refining of what has worked best for me. I don't need to lose weight, I wanted to eat real, unprocessed food for long term health and prevention. To do whatever I possibly can. If I get sick, at least I tried my best.

My guru is Dr. Mark Hyman and I read Dr. David Perlumutter. Dr. Mosely in the UK does the same premise. Your plate is vegetables and salad, small amount of protein, small amount of good carbs and good fats (olive oil, almonds, salmon and avocados).

I stopped eating anything with sugar. It took me seven weeks and I stopped being hungry or craving anything. For me, eliminating sugar changed everything. I eat low glycemic fruits (dark berries) and don't eat processed food. Nothing from a box. Canned tomatoes. I don't need to read labels. I want to eat whole, real food that I've prepared. I want to make the time. The American Diet is the worst and the data has been reevaluated by the above physicians and it's getting there by the American government but they're not there yet.

Since we're talking about what works for each of us, I think (again, in the US), people eat too much food. Too much on their plates. I've seen the Weight Watchers plan and it looks like too much food. Out of curiosity, I filled in my daily meals with every single ingredient on My Fitness Pal, which breaks down the all the macros and nutrients. After I saw exactly what I was taking in, I refined it even more. Now each meal is nutrient packed and efficient. I'm eating for nutrition, not pleasure. When I go to a restaurant I know whatever I order, no matter what they say, it's filled with oil, sugar and fats. That's why restaurant food tastes so good.

Sorry to sound so boring, but eating this way won't ever put weight on you. Other things might, but not
    eating this way. I basically grocery shop for the same foods every week and mix it up. I think you have to cook. They say 90% of American's don't like to cook. I see Lean Cuisine and Hot Pockets in people's refrigerators.

Beeyotch mentioned the Ketogenic way of eating and I read a lot about that too. That kicked me off a few months ago with Intermittent Fasting. That was a challenge but I really like it. I was always a midnight snacker. Just something before bed. Sleep is when you burn it off. Intermittent Fasting is a eating within a window of time chosen by you for maximum fat burning. My chosen window of time is 11 am to 9 pm. About 10 pm I'll drink cucumber, celery, aloe, fresh ginger and a bunch of parsley made in the Nutribullet which is fat burning while I sleep. It's a perky little drink.

All these little tricks become second nature and you just do it without thinking. Might as well show you what I've been cooking.

Homemade broccoli and egg muffin with Jalapeno "Almond" cheese (tastes exactly like cows milk cheese.

Homemade coconut flour, coconut oil blueberry muffins. No sugar. The blueberries flavor it. Like 3 carbs per muffin.

Pea shoots and radishes, tomatoes and olives with homemade mustard vinaigrette.

I would eat that beautiful food every day. Wow. Very impressive. I think I need to know more about those broccoli muffins. And you are right. We eat too much food.
    Last edited by sprynkles; January 28th, 2018 at 07:09 PM.
    louiswinthorpe111 likes this.

I’d eat pea shoots for breakfast lunch and dinner if I could get them consistently. So yummy!

Silver Member

You are a person after my own heart! i eat this way too (en fait, je suis vegan) I am actually vegan but i know people will make fun so i normally don't say it.
    sprynkles and twitchy2.0 like this.

fgg

i let myself put on about 10 lbs recently and all of my clothes are too tight so my husband and i are actively working to get it off of both of us.

we're doing a lot of what faithanne said. i cut out the sugar, drinking lots of water, eating lots of little meals/snacks that i pack for us (small low sodium v8, babybell cheese, carrots, hummus, beef jerky, protein shakes/bars, boiled eggs, sugar fee jello, etc.) that we eat every couple of hours. i'm trying to reduce the amount of pre-packaged foods we eat, dropping the amount of food we eat (bought a food scale), preparing meals in advance and avoiding takeout.

i've lost 5 lbs in the 3 weeks we've been doing it. we're looking at it as more of a lifestyle change than a diet that we need to have cheat days on. i hate exercise so i'm not punishing myself for not doing it. the less i do, the fewer calories i get to eat!
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

I want a Hot Pocket now.
    Laurent likes this.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

OK, I am back from vacation, and today I am BACK ON TRACK, dammit!!!

I know some of it is water weight and (ahem) stuff that hasn't moved out yet, but I'm up 13 pounds since before the holidays. This is bullshit and I'm going to fix it right now.
    sprynkles, Laurent and Novice like this.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information