Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Like Tree369Likes

Thread: Weight Loss Plans for 2018

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    I have been tinkering with intermittent fasting. I got turned onto it by my old acting class teacher in Seattle. We are FB friends and he's always talking about starting a fast. I finally did the research on it and have been doing it. I started out by fasting 3 days like a month ago. Then I try to go at least 16 hours from my last meal to the next days first meal. But a lot of the time I have been going 24 hours between eating.

My old teacher, who is 65 and wants to live to be 200, does 5 day fasts occasionally. Apparently, that's when real healing takes place in the body. There is a Dr in Canada who is curing people of their diabetes through fasting. He is doing amazing research on the benefits of fasting. I watched hours of his videos and read up on him. There's even a movie called 'Fasting' I plan on watching.
    From the fasting research I've done regarding Diabetes, here in the States it's not moved beyond mice yet in clinical trials. The research and results look sound, though in tricking the pancreas. What's been studied so far isn't a traditional fast, the mice are being fed a very strict and limited diet.

As a Type 2, I absolutely cannot fast, my sugar drops way too low and I don' want to play around with that.
    Beeyotch likes this.

I would like to have the discipline to not drink a shot of bourbon and eat a bowl of cereal after midnight.

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    I have been tinkering with intermittent fasting. I got turned onto it by my old acting class teacher in Seattle. We are FB friends and he's always talking about starting a fast. I finally did the research on it and have been doing it. I started out by fasting 3 days like a month ago. Then I try to go at least 16 hours from my last meal to the next days first meal. But a lot of the time I have been going 24 hours between eating.

My old teacher, who is 65 and wants to live to be 200, does 5 day fasts occasionally. Apparently, that's when real healing takes place in the body. There is a Dr in Canada who is curing people of their diabetes through fasting. He is doing amazing research on the benefits of fasting. I watched hours of his videos and read up on him. There's even a movie called 'Fasting' I plan on watching.
    I heard an interview with a scientist who wrote a book about fat cells and their functions, I think it's called The Secret Life of Fat, and she said that intermittent fasting is a great way to lose/control your weight. I'm trying to have 12-14 hours between meals (edit: I meant to say between dinner and breakfast), except it's difficult with how physical my job is and how late the hours are (running up and down stairs, breaking pallets, walking around for almost 8 hours straight, lifting 40 lb bags of potatoes, etc). It makes me so hungry that by the time I get off at midnight, I need a snack.
    Last edited by Brah; January 23rd, 2018 at 05:09 PM.
    Beeyotch and pwry like this.

Michael Mosely did a doco (not sure how recently but within the last couple of years I think) that showed the effects of different fasting routines on his body, and it was all good. Some of his levels went from borderline chronic back down to below average, and at the end of it he seemed to be a convert. I think the routine that worked best for him was 5 days on/2 days off, which seems a bit extreme to me but he found it relatively easy to adjust to. Next time I have a week off work I might try it.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

I think I saw that one a few years back. On the 2 fasting days I think you're allowed 500 calories?

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I would like to have the discipline to not drink a shot of bourbon and eat a bowl of cereal after midnight.
    I'd meet you in the kitchen at midnight for that snack.

I don't know how people can go days w/o eating. Aren't you ready to kill someone at some point?
    emkat, MohandasKGanja and Novice like this.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    It's the same old same old for me. I'm an "apple" and gain weight just thinking about carbs, especially bread. If I cut them right back, like to zero, I can keep things more or less under control. It also keeps my diabetic blood sugar stable.

I don't like calorie counting a la WW because I ended up thinking, planning, focussing on food all the time.
    That is a great point of view and I never thought of it that way. I have had a very unhealthy relationship with food and my weight for 20+ years. I weigh myself every morning and choose food based on calories etc. Thanks for the insight.

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    I'd meet you in the kitchen at midnight for that snack.

I don't know how people can go days w/o eating. Aren't you ready to kill someone at some point?

Many years ago I actually experienced a bout of anorexia I know it sounds weird but I didn't really have anorexia. I worked in an office with a very volatile man who liked to punch walls and scream. I took the position temporarily because the woman I was replacing was having surgery. She was gone for a few months and when she came back she freaked out when she saw me and though I had cancer because I had lost so much weight.

During that time I realized I coped with his violent temper by controlling the only thing I could which was what I ate. I would only eat a half of a half a bagel all day and then drink coffee. But the hunger morphed into a solid block sensation in the stomach. It didn't feel like hunger, it felt like a chronic pain that I had created. I honestly did it on purpose to cope with it. I have never had an eating disorder so it surprised me how much it escalated so quickly and how long I was able to do it. I either ate a half a half a bagel or an apple each day for about four months. That and water. Your brain just sorts of "zones in" on this as a survival coping mechanism and cooperates.

Really weird.
    Last edited by Timetoout; January 23rd, 2018 at 10:03 PM.

Dp oops

Quote Originally Posted by LameAnn View Post
    Back on the phentermine my gynecologist prescribed me. It cuts my sweet tooth and cravings completely. I started it in November, took half the dosage prescribed, lost weight quickly, but went off for the holidays. I will do it for a month to get back down.
    Iíve been on phentiermine before, and loved the way it made me feel. I had to go to a weight loss doctor to get it, and paid over $100.00 for a one month supply. And they didnít take insurance either. Did you ask your gynecologist for it?

Quote Originally Posted by stella blue View Post
    ^^^ I hear ya. My boyfriend and I are both huge craft beer fans and boy, does that add up quickly. If I can stick to weekends only, and really watch my food intake, I might be ok.
    My husband and I are huge beef fans too. Itís like I can drink 3 beers, and blow up. Meanwhile, he still stays thin. Of course I eat more often than him.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Quote Originally Posted by Timetoout View Post
    Many years ago I actually experienced a bout of anorexia I know it sounds weird but I didn't really have anorexia. I worked in an office with a very volatile man who liked to punch walls and scream. I took the position temporarily because the woman I was replacing was having surgery. She was gone for a few months and when she came back she freaked out when she saw me and though I had cancer because I had lost so much weight.
    That really resonated with me because of an experience I had back in 2001-2002. I worked for a guy who was the personification of Gru in "Despicable Me". The version of Gru BEFORE he warmed up and became a human being. This guy was like a vampire - very negative and just sucking the life out of every room he walked into. I was so stressed and freaked out (even though we really never had a confrontation) that eventually I could not eat at all in the morning. I ended up having to drink a Slimfast just so I could have enough nutrition for the day. Then, I got some weird illness that you can only get from not getting enough rest or food.

To get over it, I had to take some kind of antibiotic that killed all the good bacteria in my mouth, and then I got thrush. Holy crap. There were pieces of my tongue missing - like they had been scooped out by a tiny melon baller. Eating pizza felt like I was eating razor blade. That was the point where I finally got my resume updated and pulled the parachute rip cord....
    Timetoout likes this.

Oh my, weight. I've blown up to nearly 160 pounds by now, all in the chest and waist area, by now I'm wearing a 42D BH and still my waist it the biggest part of me. I have small arms and really good, slender legs, but I just can't with the weight. It's partly due to the hormone therapy, but not all, it's more that at 54, my energy is lower and I don't move as much as I always did. And I cannot seem to muster the enthusiasm needed for a diet. It's not that I don't care, it's more that I don't see myself losing as much weight as I should - and I don't want to go running or do any sport at all and that was certainly never a problem for me.
    Sigh! Motivational post, anyone?

That really resonated with me because of an experience I had back in 2001-2002. I worked for a guy who was the personification of Gru in "Despicable Me". The version of Gru BEFORE he warmed up and became a human being. This guy was like a vampire - very negative and just sucking the life out of every room he walked into. I was so stressed and freaked out (even though we really never had a confrontation) that eventually I could not eat at all in the morning. I ended up having to drink a Slimfast just so I could have enough nutrition for the day. Then, I got some weird illness that you can only get from not getting enough rest or food.

To get over it, I had to take some kind of antibiotic that killed all the good bacteria in my mouth, and then I got thrush. Holy crap. There were pieces of my tongue missing - like they had been scooped out by a tiny melon baller. Eating pizza felt like I was eating razor blade. That was the point where I finally got my resume updated and pulled the parachute rip cord....

Wow, good to know I'm not alone. I think I just stuck it out because I knew it was temporary. I was very concerned for the woman who came back to the job permanently. I always wondered if her surgery had something to do with working for him.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.

Elite Member

Cereal is the worst for me! If I eat a bowl as a snack, I'll end up eating two -- because there is leftover milk in the bowl. Ugh. I can't have it around!
    MohandasKGanja likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Timetoout View Post
    Wow, good to know I'm not alone. I think I just stuck it out because I knew it was temporary. I was very concerned for the woman who came back to the job permanently. I always wondered if her surgery had something to do with working for him.
    I think it would have to have been related. Work is something that people spend half of their waking hours at, and that's not adding commute time. Why somebody has to make it an existentially miserable experience for someone else is inexplicable. I'm sure I told this story before, but one time in college, I was doing summer work at a place that cut and polished mirrors for houses and businesses. Basically a warehouse with a lot of machinery in it. The owner was never there, so his son was basically running the place, along with an ops manager.

The son's style was to literally shriek at people. The most common phrase was "Are you jerking me off??? Are you jerking me off?!?!?!" I could hear it literally from the other end of the plant. He was like a cancer with two legs and a mouth. The ops manager was just the opposite. The guy looked like Robert Redford and he would talk the workers "off the ledge" after the screaming guy left. The place had lots of accidents, too. One guy my age fell off a ladder broke some mirrors on the way down, and pieces fell on and slashed his neck. He ended up being helicoptered to a hospital, and I have no idea what happened to him after that. The very next day, I was walking through some crates that had been broken up -- and walked on a nail that went right through my work shoe and into my foot. I had to get a tetanus shot and used the recover time to get reassigned to a place that wouldn't get me killed.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Cereal is the worst for me! If I eat a bowl as a snack, I'll end up eating two -- because there is leftover milk in the bowl. Ugh. I can't have it around!
    I feel you! I eat the worst cereals, too. Captain Crunch, Lucky Charms, Cinnamon Toast crunch. And I mean all three in one sitting.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread Information