Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122 LastLast
Like Tree457Likes

Thread: Weight Loss Plans for 2018

Down a little more to 162. I've doing doing OMAD for 3 weeks. I feel great.

Tonight I had chili in a bread bowl. It's the first time I've had bread since March. It was so yummy. I may stop at 150. I'll have to see.
    fgg and MohandasKGanja like this.

Since I have not updated in awhile: I've lost over 40# now! It's getting harder now. I've had a few diet sodas here and there in the last couple months and but I'm back drinking coffee and water now. I do use a stevia pack in the coffee though. This is the first year I've had a whole bowl of Halloween candy on my living room table (with plenty of chocolate in it) and managed to stay my ass away from it. However, we didn't get many trick or treaters, so now I'm giving this shit to everyone who comes by!
    czb, CornFlakegrl, fgg and 2 others like this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

We started walking 3 miles a day again, my pants are much looser and I have lots more energy. That should be incentive enough to stick with it, but my inner sloth keeps trying to take over. I envy people who love exercise.
    fgg, Novice and MohandasKGanja like this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Bronze Member

I walk my dogs around the neighborhood on a daily basis, but I feel like I should do it one at the time because it so hard to hold on into 3 dog collars on my right hand. I also do cardio workout atleast 3 to 4x a week and since I have my brother's old equipment at home I don't need to go to the gym anymore. I would suggest you download apps on your smartphone, it is helpful. Have healthy diet and that's it.

I'm experimenting with the Alkaline Diet. I did Keto and I loved it, it worked well for me. As I age I'm refining my foods. Alkaline is mostly vegetables and some fruits with no dairy or animal fats. It's been a week and it's interesting not relying on certain foods for fullness. It's also not a huge transition because of keto which had a lot of "healthy fats" but I'm happy (for now) not eating cheese, dairy, chicken. It can be 80 percent Alkaline producing foods and 20 percent acidic foods. I've got to have an egg a few times in the mornings but it's loaded with vegetables. No caffeine this week - and I haven't killed anyone so far. I'm also drinking Alkaline water (PH-7), Core Water. It's like the perfect water. Anyway, we'll see.

https://www.drrusselljaffe.com/alkaline-food-chart/

Good luck Chalet!

I need to seriously take myself in hand in 2019. Iíve been working on some stuff & ended up putting some weight back on so feel like I am back to square one.

but how is grapefruit and other citrus alkaline?
    MohandasKGanja and twitchy2.0 like this.

Originally Posted by Novice
    Good luck Chalet!

I need to seriously take myself in hand in 2019. Iíve been working on some stuff & ended up putting some weight back on so feel like I am back to square one.

Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry
    We started walking 3 miles a day again, my pants are much looser and I have lots more energy. That should be incentive enough to stick with it, but my inner sloth keeps trying to take over. I envy people who love exercise.

We love exercise but the aches and pains sometimes makes it hard to love...

Originally Posted by MsDark
    Since I have not updated in awhile: I've lost over 40# now! It's getting harder now. I've had a few diet sodas here and there in the last couple months and but I'm back drinking coffee and water now. I do use a stevia pack in the coffee though. This is the first year I've had a whole bowl of Halloween candy on my living room table (with plenty of chocolate in it) and managed to stay my ass away from it. However, we didn't get many trick or treaters, so now I'm giving this shit to everyone who comes by!

Originally Posted by sprynkles
    Down a little more to 162. I've doing doing OMAD for 3 weeks. I feel great.

Tonight I had chili in a bread bowl. It's the first time I've had bread since March. It was so yummy. I may stop at 150. I'll have to see.

When Mrs Mo went on the South Beach diet, there was a pack of chili (in a regular bowl). She loved it. But I think it only came with two of the packs.
    Novice and ConstanceSpry like this.

I went back to Weight Watchers - they had a deal going on. They've revamped the point system significantly and I feel less deprived (note to self: not depraved, seriously they're different). I dropped close to 8 pounds in a little over two weeks - I wanted to do a pre-Christmas drop so I could still enjoy Christmas-y foods. After Christmas, I'll be back on. Hopefully I'll be more successful
    Novice likes this.

I dont know what I'm doing for 2019. I've gained like 50 lbs in the last 2 years. It really creeps up on you those extra pounds. I went to a dinner party on Saturday and got so frustrated. The others were about to start the Whole 30 in 2019. They kept badgering me to do it with them and were giving me stupid psychological tips on why I eat a lot and how I need to examine the type of odds I eat and such. I was so pissed especially since they have all failed at dieting also and one had gastric bypass. She was the most obnoxious. I'm tired of dieting I am going to try cutting out the snacks and fast food and try to no feel deprived. I always lose on diets but just gain it back.
    Novice and twitchy2.0 like this.

^^^ I agree with you. I think diets are great to lose a few or kickstart weightloss, but I think in the end it comes down to making long term changes that you can actually live with. Switching from white to wheat, cutting out certain fatty foods, indulging in your faves on "cheat days," etc. Nothing crazy. Just sustainable changes. I think it's great that people can do keto or give up carbs or whatever else, but I know myself well enough to realize those aren't for me. I don't have the will power to say goodbye to something I love on a permanent basis and I end up slipping up and then going crazy.

Just do what works for you. Maybe try to figure out the time of day or the activities surrounding your worst eating habits (my dogs wake me up an hour before my alarm to go out and I wake up ravenous, but too lazy to make a real breakfast and so I end up scarfing down whatever is handy - usually a peanut butter sandwich because I'm 4). I realized I kept doing it, so now the DH lets them out during the week and I wake up at my alarm, head straight into the shower, and have a lot less of an appetitie when I come out to a fresh pot of coffee. Then I make my real breakfast - usually egg whites and an avocado, sometimes toast with cottage cheese. It's something small, but it was totally throwing me off my game until I realized I could just cut it out of my routine.

Whatever you do, just make sure YOU'RE proud of it. Screw the people who tell you how to live or try to judge you for not doing it the way that worked for them. You're not them. You know yourself and your plan to cut out snacks and fast food sounds great. If you start to feel deprived, maybe just switch up your snacks. Just don't get down on yourself or let anyone make you feel like you're failing. Just because it's a different way doesn't mean it's the wrong way.
    My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes.- Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by manningmsj View Post
    ^^^ I agree with you. I think diets are great to lose a few or kickstart weightloss, but I think in the end it comes down to making long term changes that you can actually live with. Switching from white to wheat, cutting out certain fatty foods, indulging in your faves on "cheat days," etc. Nothing crazy. Just sustainable changes. I think it's great that people can do keto or give up carbs or whatever else, but I know myself well enough to realize those aren't for me. I don't have the will power to say goodbye to something I love on a permanent basis and I end up slipping up and then going crazy.

Just do what works for you. Maybe try to figure out the time of day or the activities surrounding your worst eating habits (my dogs wake me up an hour before my alarm to go out and I wake up ravenous, but too lazy to make a real breakfast and so I end up scarfing down whatever is handy - usually a peanut butter sandwich because I'm 4). I realized I kept doing it, so now the DH lets them out during the week and I wake up at my alarm, head straight into the shower, and have a lot less of an appetitie when I come out to a fresh pot of coffee. Then I make my real breakfast - usually egg whites and an avocado, sometimes toast with cottage cheese. It's something small, but it was totally throwing me off my game until I realized I could just cut it out of my routine.

Whatever you do, just make sure YOU'RE proud of it. Screw the people who tell you how to live or try to judge you for not doing it the way that worked for them. You're not them. You know yourself and your plan to cut out snacks and fast food sounds great. If you start to feel deprived, maybe just switch up your snacks. Just don't get down on yourself or let anyone make you feel like you're failing. Just because it's a different way doesn't mean it's the wrong way.
    So much this. I used to obsess about the scale and calories and diet plans, but didn't obsess about the follow through of what happens after the diet plan is done. There wasn't a big "light bulb" moment for me, just got tired of tracking and 2-week plans and 30 day plans and the like. I think Michael Pollan's book, "In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto helped. "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly Plants."

started led thinking of food as fuel and how certain foods make my body feel, if that makes sense. It helped. Lost about 30 lbs and for the most part have kept it off. Fluctuations, for sure, but the comfort is in knowing what works for me. So when my clothes begin to feel tight, think "post hoc, ergo proctor hoc" -- worked in the past, it'll work in the future.

i go by the fit of clothes; not sizes (vanity sizing) or the scale. A pound is a pound is a pound, but because muscle tissue is more dense than adipose tissue, a body can pack on more muscle tissue in the "same space" as adipose tissue and thus weigh more but look more slim. So, to me, the scale isn't a reliable gauge.

And speaking of which, gotta get back to working out in the new year! Haven't in months, and my pants are reminding me these days by a tighter fit!

Do what works for you. As the saying goes, "The way of eating or exercise you'll stick with is the one you will do long term."
    Daphodil likes this.

^^^ I've been so shitty about the gym lately I'm starting to think it's like church - It's going to fall down when I walk in. I have made a vow not to step on the scale until after the holidays. I know I've gained a few (I'm pretty slim, but I feel like a few years ago I started becoming "skinny fat," so I made some changes) and I've definitely been slacking off, but I also know that worrying about it in the middle of parties and dinners and cocktails is only going to make me upset with myself and I won't enjoy the holiday. On January 2nd, however, I am expecting to feel a healthy amount of shame and self pity.
    My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes.- Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by manningmsj View Post
    ^^^ I've been so shitty about the gym lately I'm starting to think it's like church - It's going to fall down when I walk in. I have made a vow not to step on the scale until after the holidays. I know I've gained a few (I'm pretty slim, but I feel like a few years ago I started becoming "skinny fat," so I made some changes) and I've definitely been slacking off, but I also know that worrying about it in the middle of parties and dinners and cocktails is only going to make me upset with myself and I won't enjoy the holiday. On January 2nd, however, I am expecting to feel a healthy amount of shame and self pity.
    24/7....

Quote Originally Posted by Daphodil View Post
    I went back to Weight Watchers - they had a deal going on. They've revamped the point system significantly and I feel less deprived (note to self: not depraved, seriously they're different). I dropped close to 8 pounds in a little over two weeks - I wanted to do a pre-Christmas drop so I could still enjoy Christmas-y foods. After Christmas, I'll be back on. Hopefully I'll be more successful
    That's great and you will!

Quote Originally Posted by InigoMontoya View Post
    So much this. I used to obsess about the scale and calories and diet plans, but didn't obsess about the follow through of what happens after the diet plan is done. There wasn't a big "light bulb" moment for me, just got tired of tracking and 2-week plans and 30 day plans and the like. I think Michael Pollan's book, "In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto helped. "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly Plants.""
    This is what I've been working toward. I need to find Michael Pollan on YT. The alkaline thing isn't a food plan for me, it's about refining what I'm eating. For maybe two years I've eating for nutrition. Nutrition packed meals prepared by me. The things I've cut out have helped my digestion.
    BUT LISTEN - is this really me? Nope. My loves are lasagna, European cheeses, chocolate profiteroles with chocolate sauce but I was always a vegetable and salad lover.

I've eaten enough delicious food and for health's sake, I won't say fuck it all. You can do that when you 20 or 85. I want a strong immune system. I just had all the blood tests in the last two weeks and every one was good. The doctor told me and I was like huh? You serious? If my eating habits (no sugar, light grains, mostly veg, a little fruit, normal protein, healthy fats, some vitamins and supplements and tons of alkaline water) made me get such a good report, then it worked and I'll keep it going. I sure do still have to have a cocktail or champagne (I'm not crazy), but I've definitely taken the pleasure part away from delicious and sumptuous meals. That's a choice as sad as it sounds. Unless Daniel Boulud invited me to Lyon.

Sigh, I gained 8 pounds in the last 2 months, before I was so good with mindful eating and doing what was good for me. Went to McDonalds 3 times in 1 week, I am fat, worthless and have no self-control. Sigh again.
    I manage to do fitness, but that is really all I can manage right now. I'm hoping that the new year brings changes.

Thread Information