Page 39 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast

Thread: Vlada Roslyakova is too skinny

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by WickedHo View Post
    I guess we'll have to disagree. As I understand it, the point of persecution is the eradication of a race, belief system or social order. Jews and Commies, anyone?? It is rare that fat people are persecuted. Teased? Harrassed? Yes. But not persecuted.
    'As far as you understand it'. They are the most common forms of persecution, yes. But they are not the only forms of persecution. It has a broad definition that encompasses all forms of bullying by an individual or group of someone who cannot help the reason that they're 'different'.

Dictionaries are your friend:

Merriam Webster:
    Main Entry: per·se·cu·tion
    Function: noun
    punishment or harassment usually of a severe nature on the basis of race, religion, or political opinion in one's country of origin <claimed persecution and sought asylum>

American Heritage:
    per&#183;se&#183;cu&#183;tion
    n.
    1. The act or practice of persecuting on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or beliefs that differ from those of the persecutor.
    2. The condition of being persecuted.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by NoDayButToday View Post
    Connotation adds to the meaning of a word, those connotations are attached, they are inseparable only changing over long periods of time. Words are never neutral in meaning.
    Connotations are not inseperable as how you use a word depends on who you are speaking to. Some words have both positive and negative connotations, but they're of the invention of the speaker, not the word itself, hence the word's neutrality. Words are neutral, but their speakers are not.

Silver Member

Dictionaries are your friend:

Merriam Webster:
    Main Entry: per·se·cu·tion
    Function: noun
    punishment or harassment usually of a severe nature on the basis of race, religion, or political opinion in one's country of origin <claimed persecution and sought asylum>

American Heritage:
    per·se·cu·tion (pûr'sĭ-kyōō'shən) Pronunciation Key
    n.
    1. The act or practice of persecuting on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or beliefs that differ from those of the persecutor.
    2. The condition of being persecuted.
    Dictionaries are more a fair weather friend, they rarely take an in-depth look into the word. The encyclopeadia, however, is a real keeper:

Persecution also goes far beyond religious, ethnic and political groups. Almost any noticable difference in appearance or behaviour can be used as the basis for persecution, such as homosexuality, left-handedness, and drug use. The only common thread among this list of excuses is the perception of an individual or group which is different. Thus, persecution seems to be the expression of a more general trend in human social behaviour, (perhaps related to tribalism ), which seeks to impose or enforce conformity.

Sorry, Wikipedia is not an encyclopedia and is not considered a credible resource since ANYONE can edit it. Go look at a real encyclopedia and tell me that. I'll give you a hint, Encyclopedia Britannica has all sorts of entries about the persecution of race, religious, gender, etc. groups, not so much about others.

To take this discussion back to a higher level .....it is a rare woman that I wouldn't want to see naked. This woman/child is one.....what could be pretty is merely pitiful.......

Silver Member

Sorry, Wikipedia is not an encyclopedia and is not considered a credible resource since ANYONE can edit it. Go look at a real encyclopedia and tell me that. I'll give you a hint, Encyclopedia Britannica has all sorts of entries about the persecution of race, religious, gender, etc. groups, not so much about others.
    Considering that they're the main and most recognised forms of persecution then that's hardly surprising. It does not however nulify other types of persecution that exist. Wikipedia is actually quite reliable, but obviously you have a problem with it, so lets go back to picking and choosing which entries we like from the good old dictionary!

Here's one from Cambridge:

persecute Show phonetics
    verb [T]
    to treat someone unfairly or cruelly over a long period of time because of their race, religion, or political beliefs or to annoy someone by refusing to leave them alone:
    Religious minorities were persecuted and massacred during the ten-year regime.
    His latest film is about the experience of being persecuted for being gay.
    Ever since the news broke about her divorce, she has been persecuted by the tabloid press.
    See? A bit more variety afforded there.

My issues with Wikipedia are because it is an unreliable source that people can make say whatever they want. Try submitting it as an academic resource, you aren't going to get very far.

Silver Member

My issues with Wikipedia are because it is an unreliable source that people can make say whatever they want. Try submitting it as an academic resource, you aren't going to get very far.
    I would not think to submit it as an academic resource, but as far as I am aware this is not an academic board. It is quite reliable on the issue of persecution, however, if you take time to read it.

Wow - I had no idea this was an English lesson.

Going back to the thread - I can understand why naturally thin posters might be offended - I just do not for one second buy into Vlada being her natural size. She looks malnourished.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetness View Post
    Doing lots of blow and/or making one's self puke can make the eyes all puffy like this. And her cheeks are quite full considering how thin she is. Another hint that she may be bulimic.

Poor child. She looks pitiful.
    Ick - she looks like my brother (who has battled/battles crack) who has a huge head and bug eyes...
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

No, she doesn't!

I admit, sometimes she looks hyperfragile....

as if she could break in thousand pieces if you touch her even very carefully.

She is like a very beautiful elfin.

Quote Originally Posted by sooThin View Post
    No, she doesn't!
    How would you know? have you met?

(and btw sorry for what your brother has been through Mel, I really hope he is recovering well?)

Soothin a healthy human should not appear to be able to "break in thousand pieces "

she looks like Ichabod Crane on CRACK!!!

thanks tenaj..
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by cynic View Post
    To take this discussion back to a higher level .....it is a rare woman that I wouldn't want to see naked. This woman/child is one.....what could be pretty is merely pitiful.......
    Hey cynic. Yeah, I've heard many a man complain about the painful bruises those razor sharp hip bones can cause..... Not many guys seem to be into the Skeletor look.

Mel1973: So sorry to hear about your brother. Someone very close to me is also going through this.

By the way, in this newest picture of Vlada I see that they've airbrushed her horrifying chest.

Thread Information