Page 35 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast

Thread: Vlada Roslyakova is too skinny

Quote Originally Posted by puddinchat View Post
    I came to this thread to try to break stereotyping. But some people can't let go of closely held beliefs.

Let me ask you, if this was a thread about a "Big and Beautiful" model and posters said she needed to get away from the table, would you be saying the same things? Would anyone else? Of course not. It's no longer a PC stereotype. But it is VERY PC to cry "anorexic"!.

This thread became a personal thread when others challenged the narrow minded stereotyping.
    Obviously, you're a newbie. Get off your fucking cross and go visit other threads, noob. Then you'll see what an ass you've made of yourself with such ^^ a ^^ stupid ^^ comment.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by WickedHo View Post
    "Fat" is not a descriptive term. "Fat" is a SUBJECTIVE term. Besides, PEOPLE AREN'T "FAT." They are made of bone and flesh and gristle and fluids and hair and teeth and nails. Not just fat. So calling someone "fat" isn't just descriptive, it's downright judgemental and rude. Period.
    It's a descriptive term. Check any dictionary. Though going by your logic if calling someone 'fat' is judgemental and rude then so is calling someone 'skinny', or even calling someone 'of average weight'.

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    thanks Mg. Now I just have to make sure her life, her struggle and her fight isnt wasted by letting the same ilness claim me too.
    I'm sorry to hear that, Lani!! I remember you saying you've been struggling, so I hope this doesn't set you back! You seem to be a strong-willed kind of person, so I have faith in you! (Even though I may not know you... )

Seriously, though. Eating disorders are nothing to joke about. I cannot imagine the torment, so I wish you nothing but the best! Godspeed...

Silver Member

WickedHo
    We can both wear really pretty dresses and Rainbow colored garters...c'mon you know Vermont is waiting...
    http://dorkdejour.blogspot.com Just Pimpin my Podcast!!

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by WickedHo View Post
    Oh, stop being so melodramatic. Nobody "persecuted" you. She was mean and insensitive, and you're being the same way. Maybe to a lesser extent, but you're trashing a person that isn't here to defend herself. And you called her "chubby." Not "overweight," but "chubby." Two wrongs don't make a right, my friend.
    Any negative connotations you fix to the word 'chubby' are of your own making. It's a descriptive term whether you like it or not - it's used to describe people. So is the word 'skinny'. Would it have been better if i'd used the word 'buxom'? Or how about the dozen or so variations to the word that the thesaurus supplies? Would that soften the blow at all?

And picking on someone for something they have no control over is generally classed as persecution.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte View Post
    It's a descriptive term. Check any dictionary. Though going by your logic if calling someone 'fat' is judgemental and rude then so is calling someone 'skinny', or even calling someone 'of average weight'.
    "Fat" is a subjective term. Period. It cannot be an explicitly descriptive term because what some may call "fat" others call "normal."

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    I luv you Wicked.
    Tee hee... I just saw this. Right back atcha!

Quote Originally Posted by sweetness View Post
    By the way, that Vlada chick looks like total crap. She needs some vitamins, some sunshine, and probably lots of hugs.
    Aww! I almost got a little teary-eyed! Cuz you're right.

Any negative connotations you fix to the word 'chubby' are of your own making. It's a descriptive term whether you like it or not - it's used to describe people. So is the word 'skinny'. Would it have been better if i'd used the word 'buxom'? Or how about the dozen or so variations to the word that the thesaurus supplies? Would that soften the blow at all?
    This is the reason why thesauruses (thesauri? ) are not good sources of synonyms. Every word in the English language has commonly attributed connotations. No word means exactly the same as any other word b/c of those connotations. The word chubby DOES have commonly attributed negative connotations, you can't just pick a word out of a thesaurus and think that it means exactly the same as any other word or is free of connotation. WickedHo is using the commonly accepted connotations of chubby, not any created by herself.

Quote Originally Posted by sooThin View Post
    Doing lots of blow and/or making one's self puke can make the eyes all puffy like this. And her cheeks are quite full considering how thin she is. Another hint that she may be bulimic.

Poor child. She looks pitiful.

She does look pitiful. I just want to put her on the couch with a nice blanket & let her watch tv while I fix her a grilled cheese sammich & some chocky milk.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Silver Member

If there was a multi million dollar " Weight Gain" industry then perhaps chubby would be descriptive. However in a culture that is steeped in the idea of thin as ideal it is not just a descriptive word. The fact that naturally thin women are paid lots of money to be "models" of femininity gives thin a connotation of desireability.

Thank you linguistics class.
    http://dorkdejour.blogspot.com Just Pimpin my Podcast!!

And picking on someone for something they have no control over is generally classed as persecution.
    "Overweight" and "underweight" are the only two explicitly descriptive terms that can be used objectively. "Fat" and "skinny" are SUBJECTIVE terms. PERIOD. So calling someone "fat" or "skinny" or IS A JUDGEMENT BASED ON HIS OR HER PHYSICAL APPEARANCE. Period. End of story. No matter how much we may bandy such phrases about ("She's fat!" "He's skinny!"), it does not change the fact that "fat" and "skinny" are SUBJECTIVE terms used to describe a person's physical appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by MgMMD View Post
    WickedHo
    We can both wear really pretty dresses and Rainbow colored garters...c'mon you know Vermont is waiting...
    But it's so cold there now...

I guess we'll have to disagree. As I understand it, the point of persecution is the eradication of a race, belief system or social order. Jews and Commies, anyone?? It is rare that fat people are persecuted. Teased? Harrassed? Yes. But not persecuted.

Thread Information