Page 31 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Thread: Vlada Roslyakova is too skinny

I can't believe how out of hand this has all gotten. There will ALWAYS be people who believe that Vlada is a certain standard for beauty. Whether or not she could be classified as "anorexic" is besides the point.

The few posters who have taken this personally, I have a question. Given your experiences with your weight would you RECOMMEND TRYING TO BE THAT THIN TO ANYONE? You are the exception not the rule geneticaly. Most of us have to go to extreme measures to look like Vlada.

The problem is that this has become and ideal that people want to achieve through any means. The whole reason it has become an ideal is that it is not normal. You notice when you see someone that thin. It becomes part of the attraction along with the clothes. People will stare more, and likely remember the outfit more if it is on someone that thin.

I am not attacking anyone here, but Vlada is too thin. She appears to be unhealthy. In most pics she looks as if she'll faint soon, and her hair appears thin and brittle. I would probably be shocked if I saw her in person I am betting she is quite an attention getter due to her weight.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by sooThin View Post
    isnt she a real beauty as thin as she is ??

I think she looks very pretty in that picture. Beautiful even, and i'm not generally that struck on her.

Personally i'd recommend that people be healthy in accordance with their genetics. I've taken some of the comments in this thread personally bcause all of the shit i've seen thrown at thin people (including myself) in my life has been trotted out here.

Silver Member

"And funnily enough it was always the chubby ones who gave me hell for it."

You know, I felt for you... until you issued that statement. I am sorry. Don't go pulling the thin whine and then call people on THEIR genetics.

I was a chubby kid and I was tormented and tortured by other children and given dissaproving glances by adults too. My friend has PCOS and people moo at her. Her life fell apart after she lost the weight. She doesn't date, she gets passed over for promotions, she gets ignored and mistreated by the general public.

So if you are going to whine about the passion of the thinness...don't call anyone " chubby"
    http://dorkdejour.blogspot.com Just Pimpin my Podcast!!

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by MgMMD View Post
    "And funnily enough it was always the chubby ones who gave me hell for it."

You know, I felt for you... until you issued that statement. I am sorry. Don't go pulling the thin whine and then call people on THEIR genetics.

I was a chubby kid and I was tormented and tortured by other children and given dissaproving glances by adults too. My friend has PCOS and people moo at her. Her life fell apart after she lost the weight. She doesn't date, she gets passed over for promotions, she gets ignored and mistreated by the general public.

So if you are going to whine about the passion of the thinness...don't call anyone " chubby"
    Yes, but did you actively bully anyone thinner than you? I'm not looking for sympathy, and i'm not going to call what happened to me at school anything else than what it was. This particular teacher, who more than once called me a 'skinny bitch' to my face , often used to talk about her weightwatcher's meetings, so i don't think using the word 'chubby' is innapropriate. I have no problem with what people weigh, and would never encourage anyone to diet themselves into oblivion, but some people delight in making other people's lives miserable because of their own hang-ups.

Silver Member

I never actively bullied anyone. I was the class fucking pinata.

So because someone is trying to lose weight you can call them chubby? Nice....
    http://dorkdejour.blogspot.com Just Pimpin my Podcast!!

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by MgMMD View Post
    I never actively bullied anyone. I was the class fucking pinata.

So because someone is trying to lose weight you can call them chubby? Nice....
    She was chubby. Same way that i'm called skinny, same way that some people are called fat. It's just a descriptive term, a term I used to describe her, not meant with malice. I don't persecute people because of their appearence. She did.

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte View Post
    She's thin. She may have an eating disorder, or she may not. I think Oubliette is right to be cautious. The terms 'anorexia' and 'bulimia' get thrown around too readily and are often applied to people who don't fit the criteria.

Vlada does look very sickly in the photos, but that may be to do with runway make up. I went to a show with a friend of mine a couple of years back and all the girls were made up in the 'heroin chic' way - deathly white skin, dark eyes, the purpose being to accentuate that 'sick' look. I'm not denying the fact that the fashion industry is fucked up when it comes to weight, but labelling every thin model as 'not a real woman', or 'anorexic and at death's door' is unfair imo.
    I've also noticed they do some of the most awful things to the girls' hair.
    They rat it up, grease it down, pull it this way & that. All the things their
    hair alone must be put through to (usually) look like they just got out of
    bed or didn't shower, that alone would make me think twice about trying
    the profession (even if I were tall enough). I'm always shocked when I see
    a model done up to look pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte View Post
    Oubliette:
    I really understand where you're coming from. I'm naturally very skinny and small boned, yet i'm 5'7 so that made my thin-ness 'stand out' more. I'm athletic and my weight suited my body type so i didn't look sickly or out of proportion in any way. My school experience was very similar - often had teachers writing home with thinly veiled threats to my parents. And funnily enough it was always the chubby ones who gave me hell for it.
    I also got it from the tall, skinny guys. I find that ironic. I guess it's okay if
    you're tall, skinny & a guy. Alas *dramatic pose*, I am a short, thin girl. It
    is unfair & rather presumptious to be labelled by people who don't even
    know you, but as you know people will still do it.

Quote Originally Posted by puddinchat View Post
    Let's say that Oubliette and I are actually telling the truth. And that you're wrong. Do you care that you've wounded someone that was trying to share another perspective? Or do you just enjoy trashing people and to heck with hurting others.
    I think the both of you have issues and are way above-the-board hypersensitive if you can take what is being said about the model that this thread is actually about as a personal insult to you. Do you guys think that you're the only ones with a sob story about being bullied? Someone has already mentioned that this is not the puddinchat/Oubliette thread.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by sooThin View Post
    isnt she a real beauty as thin as she is ??

I don't find her beautiful, pretty eyes yes, but her head looks like a light bulb to me.

To each their own though.

He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

Quote Originally Posted by puddinchat View Post
    Unfortunately, I did. Finding clothes was always a nightmare. And comments from strangers trying to "help" was miserable. My arms are a little rounder now that I'm older. I cringe when someone says "You're so tiny". But I'm not bony enough anymore and my hips are, um, wider so I don't hear the nastiness that I used to. The hardest was being told that I had a problem and was in denial. It didn't matter that my siblings looked just like me. It didn't matter WHAT I said, I was in DENIAL. I was anorexic or bulemic or I needed to talk to my doctor or get a new one. You sigh and walk away and try VERY hard NOT to be near that person (or persons) again.
    Perfect example. These are YOUR issues. Get therapy and don't be an asshole to a perfect stranger who has not said jack shit about YOU. The whole attacking attitude making it seem suspiciously like those people who said there is something wrong with you were possibly right.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by dancindiva View Post
    I can't believe how out of hand this has all gotten. There will ALWAYS be people who believe that Vlada is a certain standard for beauty. Whether or not she could be classified as "anorexic" is besides the point.

The few posters who have taken this personally, I have a question. Given your experiences with your weight would you RECOMMEND TRYING TO BE THAT THIN TO ANYONE? You are the exception not the rule geneticaly. Most of us have to go to extreme measures to look like Vlada.

The problem is that this has become and ideal that people want to achieve through any means. The whole reason it has become an ideal is that it is not normal. You notice when you see someone that thin. It becomes part of the attraction along with the clothes. People will stare more, and likely remember the outfit more if it is on someone that thin.

I am not attacking anyone here, but Vlada is too thin. She appears to be unhealthy. In most pics she looks as if she'll faint soon, and her hair appears thin and brittle. I would probably be shocked if I saw her in person I am betting she is quite an attention getter due to her weight.
    No, I've already said I don't agree with people trying to force themselves to
    be something they're not... I think i did. Anyway, no. I am at a certain
    weight & that's me. A poodle shouldn't try to be a tabby, the tabby
    shouldn't try to be a spaniel & the spaniel shouldn't try to be a swan. Eh,
    the metaphor makes sense in my head.

I admit I have gotten some attention due to my weight. Most of it is
    negative though & not the way I'd like to be remembered by people I meet.
    It's exasperating to argue with so many people who insist you have a
    problem & are refusing to accept it. It never ceases to amaze me what
    some people feel comfortable saying to my face, as if I'm made of rubber.

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    I think the both of you have issues and are way above-the-board hypersensitive if you can take what is being said about the model that this thread is actually about as a personal insult to you. Do you guys think that you're the only ones with a sob story about being bullied? Someone has already mentioned that this is not the puddinchat/Oubliette thread.
    I came to this thread to try to break stereotyping. But some people can't let go of closely held beliefs.

Let me ask you, if this was a thread about a "Big and Beautiful" model and posters said she needed to get away from the table, would you be saying the same things? Would anyone else? Of course not. It's no longer a PC stereotype. But it is VERY PC to cry "anorexic"!.

This thread became a personal thread when others challenged the narrow minded stereotyping.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oubliette View Post

I also got it from the tall, skinny guys. I find that ironic. I guess it's okay if
    you're tall, skinny & a guy. Alas *dramatic pose*, I am a short, thin girl. It
    is unfair & rather presumptious to be labelled by people who don't even
    know you, but as you know people will still do it.

People do it to the obese all the time. And those with bad posture, or acned, or with big noses, etc, etc, ad naseum and world without end. Is it not wrong in every form to be bullying or praising someone on something based on their physical appearance?

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    Perfect example. These are YOUR issues. Get therapy and don't be an asshole to a perfect stranger who has not said jack shit about YOU. The whole attacking attitude making it seem suspiciously like those people who said there is something wrong with you were possibly right.

These are any skinny girls issues when faced with the typical stereotyping. Again, if I was defending the "Big & Beautiful" model body type, would you be saying the same things? Probably not as it is no longer acceptable. But as you've proved, it's open season on the skinnies.

I related my personal experiences in order to try to change ideas. But I see that some stereotypes are too ingrained to be questioned.

Curious. Why this thread? Why no other threads? What is it about this thread that needs to have stereotypes broken? What do you see as the "stereotypes" surrounding "skinny girls issues"? What "closely held beliefs" do people need to let go? How is it open season on "the skinnies"?

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Thread Information