Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Tyra Banks speaks out about her weight gain

Well in Australia, size 8 is small, and size 10 is nowhere near FRICKIN HUGE. Its the next size up from an 8 and an 8 is tiny. I know, I'm thin. Some girls fit into a size 6 which is even thinner than me. I also believe they're making the clothing alot smaller now, so we're being fooled into thinking we're a size bigger than we really are. But guess what... FUCK SIZES. These numbers, be it dress size, bra size, really fuck with a womans head.

In the UK a US size 10 is a size 14 I think (a US 6 is a UK 10 I believe).

That's not huge by any standards. I'm a size 12 UK, size 8 US, and if I am one size away from frickin huge then I'm going on a diet right now.

My waist is 27.2 inches but the jeans I wear a fairly low cut so sit on the wider part of my middle - I could quite easily wear a 14 if I wanted a slightly looser fit and have done in the past. I am quite busty though, so I'm not sure what size my bust alone would be - luckily I am quite slutty so tops that are quite tight around my bust don't bother me.

Now if I have my sizing correct then I believe (according to Topshop )

US 8/UK 12 - Bust: 36.8 inches; Waist: 29.68 inches; Hips: 38.6 inches
    US 10/UK 14 - Bust: 38.8 inches; Waist: 31.68 inches; Hips: 40.6 inches
    US 12/UK 16 - Bust: 40.8 inches; Waist: 33.68 inches; Hips: 42.6 inches

Size 10 US IS NOT HUGE....I thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by StayYoung&Pretty View Post
    Well in Australia, size 8 is small, and size 10 is nowhere near FRICKIN HUGE. Its the next size up from an 8 and an 8 is tiny. I know, I'm thin. Some girls fit into a size 6 which is even thinner than me. I also believe they're making the clothing alot smaller now, so we're being fooled into thinking we're a size bigger than we really are. But guess what... FUCK SIZES. These numbers, be it dress size, bra size, really fuck with a womans head.
    Wish I lived in Austrailia then. It's just ridiculous how things are sized here. And probably helping contribute to the obesity epidemic here.

It's actually ridiculous all the way around when it comes to women's clothing sizes. My husband can walk into any store in the free world and a pair of 36x34 pants are going to fit him. The only decision he has to make is whether or not he likes the particular cut/style.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

i don't think anyone was saying that a size 10 is big in the sense that whoever's wearing one is obese. just that it is not a small size. and that's true. it may be average and close to the size most women are but that doesn't make it small. there is no reason to be offended.
    and i have to agree that sizes in the US are big. a US size 10 is supposed to be a european 40 but i guarantee you that most euro 40s are way smaller than a US 10 and yet it's the size that is given on most equivalence charts, which i think means that sizes have gotten bigger, which is, i think, the point mrs dark was trying to make. at least that's the way i uderstood it.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by kitson View Post
    In the UK a US size 10 is a size 14 I think (a US 6 is a UK 10 I believe).

Now if I have my sizing correct then I believe (according to Topshop )

US 8/UK 12 - Bust: 36.8 inches; Waist: 29.68 inches; Hips: 38.6 inches
    US 10/UK 14 - Bust: 38.8 inches; Waist: 31.68 inches; Hips: 40.6 inches
    US 12/UK 16 - Bust: 40.8 inches; Waist: 33.68 inches; Hips: 42.6 inches

Size 10 US IS NOT HUGE....I thank you.
    Okay. I wanted to thank you for posting this because it's exactly what I was talking about. Compared to everywhere else in the world, a size 10 here in the US is "friking huge".

But...Have we in general really gotten so much bigger in this generation that a 38.8 inch Bust, 31.68 inch Waist and 40.6 inch Hips is SMALL? Or even average? Cause when I was growing up...and crap, I'm not that old ...this would have been on the "buxom" side unless the woman in question was above average height.

To get back to Tyra for a min. She looks great, carries her weight well and all, I agree with her "fuck you" to Hollywood for implying she's a porker at this size but IMHO she's still fudging it a bit on her numbers (which I guess is her prerogative, whatever). By the time she addressed this issue on her show it looked like she lost about 10-15# since the beach. I know she needs material for her show and all, but it does seem like she went a little over-the-top with the protestations.

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i don't think anyone was saying that a size 10 is big in the sense that whoever's wearing one is obese. just that it is not a small size. and that's true. it may be average and close to the size most women are but that doesn't make it small. there is no reason to be offended.
    and i have to agree that sizes in the US are big. a US size 10 is supposed to be a european 40 but i guarantee you that most euro 40s are way smaller than a US 10 and yet it's the size that is given on most equivalence charts, which i think means that sizes have gotten bigger, which is, i think, the point mrs dark was trying to make. at least that's the way i uderstood it.
    THANK YOU! Someone understands what I was trying to say. I've been made to feel like some sort of asshole accused of being hateful and having called people "obese" over here. If I'm "certain person" that people actually put on ignore over this...well....that's just incredible.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post

But...Have we in general really gotten so much bigger in this generation that a 38.8 inch Bust, 31.68 inch Waist and 40.6 inch Hips is SMALL? Or even average? Cause when I was growing up...and crap, I'm not that old ...this would have been on the "buxom" side unless the woman in question was above average height.

When I was growing up, and I'm not that old either (37), the most desirable measurements were 36, 26, 36 (inches). That was considered ideal. A 38.8 inch bust is almost 3 inches larger in the chest, and that's not because the boobs themselves are bigger, it's the entire circumference of the chest...it's part of the "thickness" shown by the 31.38 inch waist in the measurements above...just a larger, thicker and yes, fatter torso overall. Yes, this generation is bigger, and by that I mean we carry more fat on our bodies than ever before. And we all know the reasons why...one of them is the proliferation of fast food in the last 25 years. McDonald's used to be a once in a while treat for my family...now a lot of people eat there or another fast food place several times a week.

If 36/26/36 was considered ideal 20 years ago, I think that the ideal is now more along the lines of 34/24/34. While we as a society have gotten fatter, our expectation of what "thin" means has shifted to a more impossible standard.

I dont like Tyra Banks because I think she's phoney, I discuss this with other people and they automatically assume its because she's not 'thin!' Most ridiculous thing I have ever, ever heard. She could have Kate Moss' body and I still wouldnt be able to stand her. I've heard her say things that are contradictory, and I just think she's a fake person with an annoying 'Holier than thou' attitude. But thats just my opinion. I think she is a good role model though, as far as body image for young girls goes.

I watched the episode of her talk show where she wore the same black bathing suit on the show. She was thinner on the show than in the pics, probably by 10-15 pounds. Even in the unflattering photos, I wouldn't consider her fat, just curvy.

Ok, I agree with whoever said it, but Tyra really contradicted herself. On a magazine cover she's in a red bathing suit and the quote is "You call this fat?" Then she goes on her show and acts like, yeah, I'm plus size now and says "kiss my fat ass!"...it obviously bothered her. I find her terribly annoying and phoney and I don't know why; she seems like a decent person but she just comes across the wrong way.

I saw a report on A Current Affair *hanging my head in shame at admitting to watching such rubbish - I was tired and couldn't find the remote!* about Tyra's retort to the Aussie paparrazi who took that unflattering photo - you go girl!

Can't stand her normally, but loved that teary "Kiss my ass!"

Its not funny for what it says, and I dont think Tyras fat, but its funny because she made such a big deal out of it.

And if I was her i wouldn't worry about her body, I'd worry about that horrible weave and how much she looks like gollum when she's not wearing makeup.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by moomies View Post
    From what I've seen, a lot of the topics Tyra has covered, she got them from somewhere else e.g. TLC and other more journalistic/documentary type of channels, where they had more serious kinda shows on anorexia, body dismorphic disorders etc. she even invited the same people as guests from these shows! Not original AT ALL (including the fat bodysuit thing that others have done many times, not just Oprah...). And the rest is all ANTM, models and beauty stuff.

It looks to me like her show is geared towards younger audience though. But each to their own.
    This is a good assessment. I never said she was a serious journalist (that would be ridiculous); I said that Tyra wants to branch out into more meaty stuff, which she is attempting to do.

To reach a younger audience you have to hold their attention in a way that they'll (1) actually listen and (2) get it. It appears that Tyra is able more than most tv personalities to get through to the younger audience/market, and get them thinking somewhat. In that sense, it's acceptable that she takes already-addressed issues and puts her own take on them. At least her show isn't completely mindless, the way many talk shows and gossip shows are.

Quote Originally Posted by StayYoung&Pretty View Post

And if I was her i wouldn't worry about her body, I'd worry about that horrible weave and how much she looks like gollum when she's not wearing makeup.
    Total Gollum.

I'm willing to settle this once and for all.....everyone get naked and line up against the wall and I'll tell ya which ones are fat......

I get to do the "Pinch An Inch" test to find out....

Tyra is a nutball....skinny or fat....insanity knows no weight.....

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread Information