Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyra Banks speaks out about her weight gain

I believe that she is 161 and a size 10. I am the same height as her and have the same size boobs and the same type of curves as her and I weigh just a few pounds more than Tyra and still wear a size 10. I am top heavy, so I know how hard it is to find clothes that fit right. If it weren't for the big boobs, a size 10 in dresses would fit perfectly. Unfortunately, I have to buy bigger sizes sometimes and then the rest of the dress hangs on my body, making me look bigger. I know exactly what Tyra's talking about and her saying she weighs 161 looks spot on to me, because she's still more toned than me. And in those swimsuit pics, she could totally be having a fat day or at a bad angle. When she poses, you know she sucks in the stomach and on her show, you know she's in bodyshapers. Real bodies look like that on the beach. I know mine does. And I'm not fat, just normal.

OMG - the bush baby! Sorry nothing more to add but Tater Tot I love your avatar!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Aella View Post
    It's good and all that she's comfortable in her own skin, but for the love of our lord Tom Cruise, can she STOP doing 'modeling demonstrations' on ANTM? We know her body is no longer model-standard, she admitted it's not, so what is the point of her team of sycophants gushing about how she's the bestest model EVA except to appeal to her ego? Oh wait, answered my own question.

Our Lord Tom Cruise.... hehehe
    "Shit, I think I just confused myself. QUICK! Somebody hand me chalk, a chalkboard and Will Hunting's brain!" michael k -dlisted

Aww I love Tyra, she's rather brave for coming out and saying something like that.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

She carries the weight well. It's quite inconceivable to me that anyone would consider her fat.

Elite Member

For the most part I think women are really super critical of other women and weight is a big issue for most of us. We all say "Oh it's not important" (weight) but I think we're fooling ourselves. We are all pretty much obsessed about body image (our own and others'). At any given moment I think 90% of all women are on a diet or trying to lose weight ---and we're all failing miserably at it. That's why there's so much obesity in this country today.

IMO it's good to be aware and yes, be healthy, stay at a good weight, but very few of us lead the lives of a high profile fashion model. Tyra's back in the 'real world' and what she's experiencing is what we all experience--critical eyes by co-workers, friends, family, etc....all of us women experience that. Tyra needs to get over it. Obviously comments about her weight bother her and that's why she decided to do this cover and give People magazine this interview. If she was that confident about her size she wouldn't feel the need to pose for this bathing suit shot to 'prove' she's not heavy. Maybe she needed this for her own self-esteem, who knows.

oh i love tyra...

THERE ARE REAL WOMAN OUT THERE TO LOOK UP TO...

the whole staving yourself to rehab is so last season... ;]]

Cardiologists everywhere are celebrating.....

Hit By Ban Bus!

I just got back from the doctor and getting the bad news about my own weight, and I'm here to tell you she doesn't weight 161. More like 170. She's a tall woman with good muscle mass.

Quote Originally Posted by Mira View Post
    I just got back from the doctor and getting the bad news about my own weight, and I'm here to tell you she doesn't weight 161. More like 170. She's a tall woman with good muscle mass.
    Who the F*** cares??170...161.....why does any of this matter. She is beautiful and living her life......numbers mean s***.
    If the mind, that rules the body, ever so far forgets itself as to trample on its slave, the slave is never generous enough to forgive the injury, but will rise and smite the oppressor. ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Hit By Ban Bus!

My.Point.Is: If you're going to talk about it, don't lie. That is all. And by the way I am a big fan of Tyra. I happen to like and respect her, esp. the new direction she is taking - both with journalism and with weight.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Oh Mira...you are not calling her talk show journalism, are you?

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Yes, did you see her piece on L.A.'s skid row? It was pretty hard-hitting. She plans more, and is getting involved in a mentoring pogram for children who live there. She also did a piece on fat prejudice, and donned a fat suit. (Yes I know it's been done before!)

A lot of people don't want to believe she's serious journalism because she still does a lot of fluff on her talk show. But she's expressed more than once an interest in moving in another direction.

She's also done some counseling stuff with mean girls and family members who can't get along. I thought it was pretty darn good for someone not formally trained.

Bronze Member

Good for her! We live in a fat-phobic country where thinness is valued above anything else, and it's nice to see someone like Tyra (and Kate Winslet, as well) speak out against the Hollywood ideal.

*round of applause*

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information