Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Twiggy thinks actresses are too skinny

OMGtooskinny, I don't think people "hate skinny girls" here, it's not about if you're skinny or not, but if you are anorexic or addicted to drugs or both, then yeah, it is viewed unfavourably (don't you feel the same way when you see models at death's threshold and you *know*, you can tell that they do NOT look like that naturally?). I think a lot of people here are simply sick of the sick looking people. I know I am. Don't feel bad about your natural shape. We don't have to jump into silly discussions about "fat rolls" and all that shit *eyerolls* People should just try to be comfortable in their skin. Most times it is really not as bad as any of us thinks.

Bronze Member

I know people say they are not attacking naturally thin people but the thing is alot of people are terrible at telling them apart from anorexics/druggies. There's also a very strong backlash against thinness (whatever it's cause) in the popular culture today, unlike fat people, skinnies do not have the benefit of political correctness on their side. Case in point, a few days ago I had a complete stranger SCREAM at me to gain some weight from across a busy street. What is it about a skinny person that is so offensive? What harm had I done to them?

Plus I'm about as thin as some of the 'scary skinny' models some people on the board rant about, yet I eat exactly what most 'real' women eat every day. I bet if I was to post a picture of myself up here about 90% of you would say I'm 'too thin' and 'need' to gain weight.

Interesting expression 'too thin'. Too thin for what exactly? For other people's comfort? Too thin for my own health? But how can I be unhealthy when this is the weight my body is determined to be? Even a nutritionist I saw after trying many different things eventually said there was no way for me to gain weight without resorting to unhealthy/dangerous measures. I even tried going on the Pill just to try to gain weight (I'm a lesbian) and gained 2lb. Too thin for the BMI? The BMI is a very crude indicator of health, it doesn't take into account body build, muscle mass, or even gender. People act as if the BMI was flung down from god or something, but it wasn't, it was invented by doctors who were going on averages, and there are some people who are always going to lye outside those averages.
    Last edited by OMGtooskinny; February 13th, 2007 at 09:55 AM.

breathe.. calm yourself... *hands you a paper bag to hyperventilate into*

I can speak from both sides.. growing up i was a stick, a rake, people thought i had cancer. You could count ribs, and i did not look healthy but thats what a runaway metabolism does.

Now that i'm husky bordering on porky, i can say that i get less comments now than I did then.. of course, then people were concerned, whereas now they just make fat jokes.

Then i sit on them.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Do you seriously get fat comments? I've seen your pic and you're not anywhere near fat or porky from what I can tell.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

LOl just from friends and such.. not random people on the street.

But yeah, 245 lbs at 6'2" aint small.. it's a good balance between muscle and pork
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil View Post
    I think thinness is OK when women are naturally skinny, like Twiggy was when she was young. I think the problem comes when people try to be very skinny when nature is telling their body to be otherwise - either people whose natural body type is not skinny in the first place, or when people try to remain very skinny as they grow older when their body is trying to fill out.
    I agree. Twiggy really was that thin naturally I believe. I have yet to see a pic of her where she is 'skeletal' looking with protruding bones. She is one of the genetic exceptions..someone genetically determined to be thin. She may have enhanced that a bit by going a little under natural for her, but not enough seemingly to harm her. It is the others who try to emulate this very thin look who are not meant to be anywhere near this thin who are the problem.

However, I disagree with blaming the 'Hollywood actresses' as Twiggy does.
    Where does she think they got their 'thinsperation' from? The catwalks that is where. And Twiggy must not have seen very many fashion shows lately..because it appears more and more that models are going to dangerous territory to 'stay competitive' in that industry.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

i'm one of those overly skinny types even after 3 kids I don't let it bother me anymore I can out eat most men I just have a high metabolisim the only thing that bothers me is when someone is dieting and says I hate you you're so skinny I've been trying to gain weight since I was young it just ain't happening so give me a break I don't look this way to make you feel bad so don't make me feel bad for looking like this

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    breathe.. calm yourself... *hands you a paper bag to hyperventilate into*
    Thanks for that paper bag *breathes deeply*

Am I totally deluded and drunk or was being skinny more acceptable back in the 1960's/70's?

I mean you had Twiggy and Edie Sedgewick and they where not "evil media obsessed women causing all the real women to have body image issues and they need to be banned" they were just thin women.

And then there was 70's Christopher Walken. So thin when I watch his 70's movies I keep mistaking him for some tall skinny woman.

And don't forget 70's David Bowie - scary thin even by my highly skinny-tolerant standards.

I think back then these people's thinness was more accepted, be it natural or not. They were simply a 'thin person' nothing more to it. Today when someone is thin they are accused of all sorts of subliminal shit. I blame Karen Carpenter.

But yeah, I'm piiiisssed, whooohooo!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post

Then i sit on them.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

You started it Twiggy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information