Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: REAL Celebrity Sizes (again)

I don't even know what size I am, because it seems every brand/store runs differently......

Hit By Ban Bus!

I see people here saying that small girls are built like children, whereas when I (in the early 90s, and many people I know, nowadays) went to the US, we were all impressed and surprised at how many obese people we saw on the streets. It's all a matter of point of view.

Where I live, most girls are slender. I'm 5'4", 34"-24"-34" (I rounded my measurements up a little, since they're a bit smaller in cm) and still considered small. I'm a size 36 here, and often wear children's clothes, too. I'm very healthy, not an aberration or freak of nature, as some people make it sound. And I'm not the smallest girl around either.

I think Americans are bigger people in general. It's really all about body shape and measurements. if you're 34-24-34, you're incredibly curvy (and a delight for all to see!) and you wouldn't wear children's clothing in the US. that's actually a pretty big size for kids.

You sound very healthy...I hope you do not think I am trying to say small people are an aberation, just that the sizing wouldn't be 0 here...
    Talent Works, Genius Creates

american size 0 would convert to a fictional size 28 here
    28... come on now sizing over here starts at 34. And the Dutch are not collectively bigger than the Americans.
    There's obviously something fishy about sizing in the US.

Dutch women are generally rather tall though (I'm 5.9"). Mayby that has something to do with it aswell.

My mom is a true size zero. She doesn't look sickly like Nicole Richie. She just has a slim body structure. She's 5'5 and has curves still. It is possible to be a normal person who just happens to be slim.

I am a size 2 though I'm much shorter (5'1).

Silver Member

Pandora
    You are also asian and your people have a very small body structure.

Edited because I need to learn to spell.

I think what a lot of this comes down to is the absolute ignorance of the fashion world of the fact that women have different body structures.

We are all expected to be built and look ONE way.
    http://dorkdejour.blogspot.com Just Pimpin my Podcast!!

Those sizes aren't right..Eva L. said she was a size 00...katherine heigl said in the SAME MAGAZINE that they pulled that quote from that she's a size 4...which i dont see is much different from a size 2. I also read in an article mandy moore said she wears a size 6-8.
    In this month's cosmo theres an article about vanity sizing...a pair of pants from the Gap, same exact cut/style, size 2, the size 2 today is 3 inches larger in the waist than 10 years ago. AND, a size 8 in the 1950's is the same size as today's size 00. So that rumor marylin monroe was a size 16 is bullshit. that would be a size 6 today.

^Thank you.
    Into the sunrise. The sunset is sad to me….it only means the night is coming.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by glamazon View Post
    I think Americans are bigger people in general. It's really all about body shape and measurements. if you're 34-24-34, you're incredibly curvy (and a delight for all to see!) and you wouldn't wear children's clothing in the US. that's actually a pretty big size for kids.

You sound very healthy...I hope you do not think I am trying to say small people are an aberation, just that the sizing wouldn't be 0 here...
    Thanks for the curvy, lol. I think it has a lot to do with the diet. In Brazil, our diet is based in rice, beans, meat, salad and some other mixture. In the US, the portions are huge, and foods are very fatty, and obesity can come from the type of food you eat, even if you don't overeat.

Quote Originally Posted by tiggle View Post
    american size 0 would convert to a fictional size 28 here
    28... come on now sizing over here starts at 34. And the Dutch are not collectively bigger than the Americans.
    There's obviously something fishy about sizing in the US.

Dutch women are generally rather tall though (I'm 5.9"). Mayby that has something to do with it aswell.
    Hey, the sizing here starts at 34 too! However, I do believe that, as in shoes (i.e. a 36 here would be a 38 in Europe), 36 would be a Dutch 34.

Quote Originally Posted by MgMMD View Post
    Pandora
    You are also asian and your people have a very small body structure.

Edited because I need to learn to spell.

I think what a lot of this comes down to is the absolute ignorance of the fashion world of the fact that women have different body structures.

We are all expected to be built and look ONE way.
    Here there are a lot of Japanese descendents, very, very tiny. Oh, and fashion sucks too. People come in all shapes and sizes... and the model type is definitely one of the rarest out there. Guess the big runway shows are just for "art" purposes in their little world.

The smalles pair of pants I have ever seen in a store is 32/26 and XS. I have a skirt in size 8 (bought in Ireland) and a pair of pants with size 34. I usually wear a size 36/27. I have no idea what size means or what size I am supposed to be it's all different from pants to pants....

I'm a true size 0 and it's not as small as you might imagine. There are some pics posted in the "Personal Life" thread if you would like to see.

Eva Longoria is probably a 0 and in this picture, Paris Hilton looks like she could possibly be one as well. I highly doubt that Paris is a 4.

A lot of deathly thin stars (Nicole Richie, Lindsay Lohan back during the skeletwin days, Mary-Kate) claim or have claimed to be 0s when trying to prove that they're "healthy" instead of admitting that they're actually in child sizes. It is really frustrating because I know that there's NO way they're fitting into size 0 clothes when I'm bigger than they are. It makes it look like we are all scrawny and sickly looking and that's not the case. A lot of my friends are 0s as well, and none of us look anything like these stars.

I also just noticed that they listed Jennifer Lopez as a 6. LMAO.

Quote Originally Posted by glamazon View Post
    I can wear a size 6 dress, and I have almost 42 ince hips!

it's how the body shape...smaller waist, bigger hips.

About sizing - there is a govt' standard size in America, but it's not used in order for "vanity sizing" which I CANNOT STAND!!

For those of you who do not know, go to a store that has sewing kits and models for making skirts, pants...so anyway, that's the govt' sizing, and MANY women were saddened (including me) about their true size.

Par example - my hips make me a true size 18 or 20. I wear a size "12" in skirts and pants.
    There is no such thing as "government sizing", .....I work in the fashion business for the last 15 years designing and making patterns.

Those patterns you are referring to are based on the old sizes from the 50's and 60's (like the other poster who mentioned monroe was a 16). Back in those days, women weren't quite so hung up on being skeletal.

There is no industry standard for sizes, companies design, spec and grade clothing on whatever basis they feel like.

Its all subjective. Pay no attention to the size.

that seemed very inaccurate((: haha but then again celebs are always lying abt the sizes..
    SameShitDifferentDay

lookin 4 Firecrotch Lohan as i reload my gun!

Quote Originally Posted by happy8 View Post
    All stores have different sizing. I can wear 2's at Banana, 4's at Abercrombie 6-8 at other stores and 29 in designer jeans, so to say your just one size is nearly impossible because everything is cut so weird these days.
    you are very right about this!
    "I was stoned. It seemed like a fun thing to do at the time. " -Jim Morrison

Elite Member

There is no industry standard for sizes, companies design, spec and grade clothing on whatever basis they feel like.
    There is one here, in Sweden, and I believe the EU is working on a European standard. Current Swedish sizes are based on measurements taken on a cross section of the population in the 70's, but they're recently finished doing that again, so the size standards are about to be adjusted. Of course, sizes still vary a little, but not nearly as much as they seem to do overseas.

We don't really have the vanity sizing problem here, either; if anything, I think sizes have become slightly smaller, to adjust to sizing in the rest of Europe - I know that H&M does that, for example. Swedes are a large breed, generally, at home I'm short at 163 cm, but in southern Europe I seem to be average to tall, compared to other women.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information