Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Precious' star Gabourey Sidibe: "My first diet started when I was six years old"

^^^
    naomi campbell may be a crazy bitch but she has the most amazing skin (and body). i recently saw some candids of her on holiday in thailand, in a bikini. she's what, almost 40? and these are unretouched pics we're talking about and she doesn't have an ounce of fat or cellulite or a single blemish on her entire body. *bitch*

Kate Moss and Naomi Campbell on holiday in Thailand
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    Yes, it certainly is unfair. The 70s were better for dark-skinned sisters. I mean, a couple of the Bond girls were gorgeous chocolate-colored women like Gloria Hendry. And then there was Judy Pace and Playboy Playmate Azizi Johari. But then the 80s came and we went right back to where we were, and where we are now, I'm afraid. We have women like Naomi Campbell and Alek Wek, but still in the eyes of many, they are considered "exotic" looking, whatever that means.
    Oh, man, do I remember Azizi Johari. What a beautiful face and body. I also remember Gloria Hendry in "Live and Let Die". Very cute. Speaking of Playboy, it was very frustrating to see how sporadically they would have a black Playmate -- but the ones they had were amazing - like Roseanne Katon, Johari, and the one (whose name escapes me) who was a late 1960's Playmate and was just gorgeous.

Back to models, and darker complexions, I think that Roshumba Williams not only had the skin tone, but had the natural hair -- with no straightening or extensions, that could be an inspiration to aspiring black models.

Quote Originally Posted by Perilita View Post
    I think that there is a huge difference between people (and I am talking about REALLY, REALLY overweight people) who are obese bc of a physical condition, which is a totally different story than those who are obese because they have no willpower or brains, for that matter. Like this lady from the youtube-video, posted by celeb, I believe. Seriously, her stupidity is gonna kill her, she brings it all on herself.
    How can you critisise someone else for their stupidity? Because you are completely ignoring the fact that any number of "REALLY, REALLY overweight people" actually have an EATING DISORDER. Just because they're not anorexic doesn't mean that they don't have an issue. In fact I would have thought that it was blatently obvious even to the most ignorant of posters.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDayButToday View Post
    ^ I'll never understand that either. I think her skin tone is beautiful. Some of the prettiest black women I know IRL have darker complexions, and I've always been a little jealous of how well they can pull off wearing brighter colors, they always looks so pretty against their skin.
    Yep, ITA. I don't get the light-is-best ethos, especially with all the white girls painting themselves orange in an attempt to look tan.... its a fucked up world.

Yes, it certainly is unfair. The 70s were better for dark-skinned sisters. I mean, a couple of the Bond girls were gorgeous chocolate-colored women like Gloria Hendry. And then there was Judy Pace and Playboy Playmate Azizi Johari. But then the 80s came and we went right back to where we were, and where we are now, I'm afraid. We have women like Naomi Campbell and Alek Wek, but still in the eyes of many, they are considered "exotic" looking, whatever that means.

They still want the Halles and the Beyond-Egos . Halle I can take, but well, Beyonce is another thread entirely.

But I think Gabby has a cute face.
    hey Bitter! hows the new job??

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Oh, man, do I remember Azizi Johari. What a beautiful face and body. I also remember Gloria Hendry in "Live and Let Die". Very cute. Speaking of Playboy, it was very frustrating to see how sporadically they would have a black Playmate -- but the ones they had were amazing - like Roseanne Katon, Johari, and the one (whose name escapes me) who was a late 1960's Playmate and was just gorgeous.

Back to models, and darker complexions, I think that Roshumba Williams not only had the skin tone, but had the natural hair -- with no straightening or extensions, that could be an inspiration to aspiring black models.
    *cough* we weren't really, but you always seem to manage to go right back to it....

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post

*cough* we weren't really, but you always seem to manage to go right back to it....
    I mentioned it because Bitter mentioned Johari being a Playboy Playmate. But I do have Playboy on the brain; I plead guilty to that.

The new job is going great! Thanks for asking, Novice!I can even access Gossip Rocks! But I am so busy that I cannot post as often as I did before.

Azizi Johari went on tour with Richard Pryor when he was super hot; she was part of the show I think. She talked about it in her Playboy interview.

Don't forget the Jemison twins and Anne-Marie Fox.

They look disgusting, imo. But I'm not a fan of Oreos.
    Me either. I like softer cookies, like oatmeal. A Pecan Sandy is good every once in a while, though.

I went to imdb.com and it looks like Gabby has some work lined up - good for her. An Oscar could only make things better, although, who in the hell remembers F. Murray Abraham?

Don't forget the Jemison twins and Anne-Marie Fox.
    I LOVED Anne-Marie Fox. I heard she went on to become a professional photographer herself. The other woman I was trying to remember was Jean Bell.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I LOVED Anne-Marie Fox. I heard she went on to become a professional photographer herself. The other woman I was trying to remember was Jean Bell.
    Jeanne Bell was linked with Richard Burton and John DeLorean at one point. Great dimples.

Gold Member

How can you critisise someone else for their stupidity? Because you are completely ignoring the fact that any number of "REALLY, REALLY overweight people" actually have an EATING DISORDER. Just because they're not anorexic doesn't mean that they don't have an issue. In fact I would have thought that it was blatently obvious even to the most ignorant of posters.
    um.. why can`t I criticize someone else for their stupidity? This is seriously the most ignorant comment.

I was talking about that woman from the posted video, and while she may have a disorder, she is STUPID. HELLO?? She knows she has it, and yet there are tons of junk food in her house. How bout not buying it in the first place? THIS I call stupid. I bet she woulndn`t gain hundreds of kg`s by eating salad, now would she? Instead she is eating piles of cookies and shit and drinking cola or whatever. And that is def. stupid.

To sum it up for you: Having a disorder does not necessarily exclude being stupid.

Paging McJag to this thread, McJag, please pick up the white courtesy phone...
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

um.. why can`t I criticize someone else for their stupidity? This is seriously the most ignorant comment.

I was talking about that woman from the posted video, and while she may have a disorder, she is STUPID. HELLO?? She knows she has it, and yet there are tons of junk food in her house. How bout not buying it in the first place? THIS I call stupid. I bet she woulndn`t gain hundreds of kg`s by eating salad, now would she? Instead she is eating piles of cookies and shit and drinking cola or whatever. And that is def. stupid.

To sum it up for you: Having a disorder does not necessarily exclude being stupid.
    'Heroin addicts are so stupid; why don't they just stop buying the drug...then they wouldn't be hooked on the stuff,?!?!'
    Yeh...pretty much.
    Alot of chemical reactions in the brain are attributed to food addiction. It's a psychological nightmare...stopping the over-eating isn't even close to being as easy as you make it sound.

So alcoholics don't buy & hide alcohol in their houses, car, workplaces, etc?
    I stand by my first statement that you do not understand that over-eating is an addiction.

Nor does it (apparently) stop them posting here.

Quote Originally Posted by 00Kimmi00 View Post
    'Heroin addicts are so stupid; why don't they just stop buying the drug...then they wouldn't be hooked on the stuff,?!?!'
    Yeh...pretty much.
    Alot of chemical reactions in the brain are attributed to food addiction. It's a psychological nightmare...stopping the over-eating isn't even close to being as easy as you make it sound.
    Thank goodness someone gets it!

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

One of the driving forces behind an eating disorder is compulsion.

Some definitions of compulsion:

• The act of compelling.
    • The state of being compelled.
    • An irresistible impulse to act, regardless of the rationality of the motivation
    • (Psychiatry) an inner drive that causes a person to perform actions, often of a trivial and repetitive nature, against his or her will

People with compulsive/binge eating disorder cannot help themselves. Even if they stocked their home with nothing but raw carrots and celery once the physical/psychological need to get a "food fix" kicks in they will go out and seek the type of food that (temporarily, at least) satiates their craving in the same way the any other addict will. This is usually junk food for several reasons: The high mixture of carbohydrates and sugar can and will produce an effect that is akin to being "high", thus alleviating the feelings of sadness and/or depression that the suffer has (depression and eating disorders often go hand in hand. The successful treatment of one often depends on the treatment of the other). Unfortunately, by doing this they maintain their obesity and may gain even more. Then comes the deep seated guilt that many ED sufferers feel afterwards which pushes them further into a depressive state (heightened further by the comedown from the glucose high) which, in turn, triggers the compulsion to eat. We must also not disregard social conditioning from childhood and the role that food plays in that. Sweets, cakes and other types of "junk food" are often given as a reward for good behaviour or as a means of comfort during or following illness or trauma. This is why they are often referred to as "comfort food", as they evoke memories and responses in us that are linked to moments of happiness, validation (of personal worth or affection towards us) and, yes, comfort. We all do this to a greater or lesser degree - the packet of biscuits or the tub of Haagen Daz while we have a good cry over a break-up or following the month from hell at work - but for someone with an overeating disorder this response has spiralled out of their control and become a vicious circle of feeling depressed/unworthy --> self medicating with food --> glucose high invoking temporary relief --> the comedown kicks in, followed by guilt about over/binge eating and the inevitable impact on their body --> feeling depressed/unworthy --> self medicating with food. Rinse 'n' repeat.

So many times we hear the phrase "don't judge a book by its cover". I would suggest this to you, and go further still and say "don't judge a book by its cover or its size". If you take the time to look beyond the size and peek at the actual pages inside very often you will find something interesting and worthwhile knowing.

PS: Just to return to your comment about stupidity... There are some schools of thought that believe that depression and depressive disorders are more prevalent amongst people with above average intelligence, therefore stupidity may have very little to do with it.

Sheesh did Braindamage send up a bat signal or what?
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Gold Member

So alcoholics don't buy & hide alcohol in their houses, car, workplaces, etc?
    I stand by my first statement that you do not understand that over-eating is an addiction.

Nor does it (apparently) stop them posting here.

Thank goodness someone gets it!
    Oh no! You think I am stupid? Whatever will I do with my life now?

I have to admit though, that maybe I truly do not understand that over-eating it is an addiction just like a drug addiction. Then again, starting taking drugs IS stupid. Yes, I know, people hav dif. reasons for doing that, but it does not mean it`s not stupid.

But to take the case of this woman: She probably has nothing to do in her life, she is most probably ill educated and has no interests. So, she tries to fill that void with eating. And now she is addicted. Had she been smarter, she would find better things to do with her life. Seriously, there are far worse problems out there with people having nothing to eat and nowhere to live.

Now, to the comment about intelligent people being depressed more often. Depression is a whole different issue than an addiction.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information