Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Precious' star Gabourey Sidibe: "My first diet started when I was six years old"

I admit that I haven't been following this thread (I've only read a couple pages) but I have something to say. It seems like a couple of people are being jumped on for saying that obese people who seem to eat healthy are hording snacks. However, I completely agree with this statement.

I, like Gabourey, went on my first diet when I was quite young (about 8 years old) because I was a major chunker. Before that age, I lived in the Philippines where I was a very active child who rarely ate fast food. Needless to say I was of an appropriate weight for my age. When I moved back to the states, however, I discovered fast food and that was ALL I ever wanted to eat and my mom would give in and let me eat fast food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner (we lived right across the street from a place that served fried chicken and jo-jo's). I quickly gained weight and kids started to tease me for it. I felt like such an outsider that I started random fad diets and I would have crazy ridiculous work out sessions. I would ride on our stationary bike for hours while spitting in to a dixie cup (because I was told that our bodies hold a lot of water weight and because I was a stupid child). I went through phases where I'd only eat oranges. It was incredibly unhealthy and I didn't know better.

Unfortunately, my weight problem has continued to this day (at the height of my weight problem I reached 230lbs). I used to always feel uncomfortable when eating in front of others so I would always choose the healthiest option and pick at the food. The reason I chose the healthiest option wasn't because I thought the person watching me would think I was a fat ass if I ordered french fries but because I FELT like a fat ass eating in front of someone else so in that moment I would want to eat healthier in hopes of losing weight. However, by the time I was in the privacy of my own home I would polish off a bag of chips and 12 cookies. And yes, I have had problems with forgetting what I've eaten. Back in the day, it was not uncommon for me to forget by lunch time that I had a breakfast consisting of a slice of pie, a handful of grapes, and three dinner rolls.

Also, I would be completely unaware of what I'd eaten in the day largely because I would snack while finding a snack. In other words, I would be craving something sweet so I would go in the kitchen looking for something to satisfy my craving. I would open up the refrigerator and eat a couple of slices of cheese and a handful of grapes. Then, I would open up the pantry, grab a few ritz crackers, have a couple hand fulls of trail mix, and finally discover half of a candy bar. But that wouldn't satisfy me so I'd get a bowl of ice cream, also. The funny thing is all of my friends thought I ate healthy because I would only snack on fruits and veggies when they were around.

Thankfully, I have managed my weight for years now (give or take 10 lbs). Today I am a healthy 150 lbs and while these experiences may not be true for everyone they were certainly true in my case.

Beneath the sun of summer a sea of flowers won't bloom without the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetness View Post

It's a really tricky situation for a parent... you don't want to be unfair and allow some to eat whatever they want, yet limit what the other eats. I don't want my daughter to get a complex or develop an eating disorder, and it's hard to flat out say "no, you can't have that." She is only 11 and is not weight conscious at all at this point.
    Damn, that's a tough spot to be in. But you've obviously thought things through and are trying to do the best for your kids health - Best of luck to you!! I'm not going to offer you advice, because i'm in no sort of a position to be doing that, but I will offer best wishes!

These threads really strike some sort of chord with me - I don't know, weight is such a touchy subject, and it does seem to be that people think it's ok to make judgments because being overweight is clearly the persons own fault, and no-one could be happy being 'fat' (another massive generalisation, I know, but hey, it's what I do.)
    But sometimes, just as there are people who are responsible for their weight gain, there are other reasons psychologically and physiologically (thyroid, medications etc etc.) where it's not the persons fault.

And sometimes - believe it or not - people are just happy the way they are. Live and let live - it's none of my business.

And before we get to the whole 'drain on the medical system' argument - I would hold everyone who smokes, drinks, over-exercises, under-eats, drives a car, plays sport etc just as responsible for my health insurance premiums rising. And I even belong to a few of those groups myself.

And BTW - those deep fried oreos terrify me! I'm old school - I like 'em dunked in milk!
    I haven't fucked much with the past, but I've fucked plenty with the future

Quote Originally Posted by collateral damage View Post
    I didn't mean to be rude. I'm sorry I offended you. I simply don't get "getting offended" by something a stranger posts on the internet. I'm not trying to be rude and I guess I'm blunt and not sugar coating things. I'm also not too bothered about posting perfectly. But if you are going to get offended by what I post I susgest that you put me on ignore.

Also the six or seven people that are on ignore for me don't constitute half the board. There's a lot of very nice posters on the board. And those that are looking for the fight seem to be a minority.
    Funny how you never mean to be rude but do it so often. You have every right to state your opinions here. I also have that right. It is my opinion that you are a shit stirring troll. It is my hope that you get banned soon since you are not even entertaining as other trolls we get from time to time. You offer nothing of value to the board in my opinion either. Now maybe you can start a pm campaign with anyone you don't have on ignore and see if you can get me an infraction for stating my opinion.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by atrayubrandy View Post
    I admit that I haven't been following this thread (I've only read a couple pages) but I have something to say. It seems like a couple of people are being jumped on for saying that obese people who seem to eat healthy are hording snacks. However, I completely agree with this statement.

I, like Gabourey, went on my first diet when I was quite young (about 8 years old) because I was a major chunker. Before that age, I lived in the Philippines where I was a very active child who rarely ate fast food. Needless to say I was of an appropriate weight for my age. When I moved back to the states, however, I discovered fast food and that was ALL I ever wanted to eat and my mom would give in and let me eat fast food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner (we lived right across the street from a place that served fried chicken and jo-jo's). I quickly gained weight and kids started to tease me for it. I felt like such an outsider that I started random fad diets and I would have crazy ridiculous work out sessions. I would ride on our stationary bike for hours while spitting in to a dixie cup (because I was told that our bodies hold a lot of water weight and because I was a stupid child). I went through phases where I'd only eat oranges. It was incredibly unhealthy and I didn't know better.

Unfortunately, my weight problem has continued to this day (at the height of my weight problem I reached 230lbs). I used to always feel uncomfortable when eating in front of others so I would always choose the healthiest option and pick at the food. The reason I chose the healthiest option wasn't because I thought the person watching me would think I was a fat ass if I ordered french fries but because I FELT like a fat ass eating in front of someone else so in that moment I would want to eat healthier in hopes of losing weight. However, by the time I was in the privacy of my own home I would polish off a bag of chips and 12 cookies. And yes, I have had problems with forgetting what I've eaten. Back in the day, it was not uncommon for me to forget by lunch time that I had a breakfast consisting of a slice of pie, a handful of grapes, and three dinner rolls.

Also, I would be completely unaware of what I'd eaten in the day largely because I would snack while finding a snack. In other words, I would be craving something sweet so I would go in the kitchen looking for something to satisfy my craving. I would open up the refrigerator and eat a couple of slices of cheese and a handful of grapes. Then, I would open up the pantry, grab a few ritz crackers, have a couple hand fulls of trail mix, and finally discover half of a candy bar. But that wouldn't satisfy me so I'd get a bowl of ice cream, also. The funny thing is all of my friends thought I ate healthy because I would only snack on fruits and veggies when they were around.

Thankfully, I have managed my weight for years now (give or take 10 lbs). Today I am a healthy 150 lbs and while these experiences may not be true for everyone they were certainly true in my case.

THanks for sharing - you're right, not everyone who is obese hordes food, etc; but your experience shows that you did. Fair enough.
    I'm the opposite, never dieted, never had to diet, ate reasonably, exercised fairly - then in my late 20s/early 30s got really ill, had massive amounts of pain, found it difficult to gets about let alone exercise & now I need to lose some xx lbs.

I can't tell you (or anyone else) how hard it is (I'm sure that you already know). I saw a dietician who pointed out that I was doing exactly the right things, but, unfortunately, I'm still in a lot of pain and it compromises my exercise. As it is I'm taking it a lb at a time.... I know EXACTLY what I eat, I even write it down as I eat it... so there is no hiding.
    But the obese people are fat because they eat too much & don't exercise enough - its a "no shit sherlock" statement, yes there is that as an element, but its not the be-all-&-end-all to it. It has been proved to be much more complex than that.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lalique View Post
    Did you hear that Dolce? That's the sound of her adding you to her ever growing list of posters on ignore! Here, have a cookie...
    I might be spanked for what i'm about to say but Oreos are horrid! I tried one a couple of years ago and think they are just too chocolatey

American food sucks on the whole

^^ whaaat? how can you not like oreos?
    i think you should be banned for saying that. it's downright insulting for us oreo lovers.

"This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

Quote Originally Posted by DolceVita View Post
    I might be spanked for what i'm about to say but Oreos are horrid! I tried one a couple of years ago and think they are just too chocolatey

American food sucks on the whole
    I hate Oreos too. And as an American, I pretty much agree with you that American food sucks! So no spanking from me
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

*raises hand* another Nah vote from me - i think I mentioned it in the thread where someone posted pics of deep fried oreos

Uh, deep fried Oreos are ridiculously delicious. If you get them right, that is.
    Damn you all, now I want Oreos & milk!

Bronze Member

below the tits because I don't much see it. I've often wondered how a woman could let herself get to this level. For me, weight makes a huge difference in my face. I don't look as attractive with even ten pounds on. So I've never understood how women could let themselves go so far. But what I'm noticing is a pattern of pretty faces with huge bodies. So I'm wondering if women don't really pay attention to what goes on below the waist.
    maybe they still think they are pretty in the face even with the extra weight? or maybe the ppl around them dont have a problem with their weight. some overweight ppl may come from families where alot of their family members are very overweight too and they don't see it as a problem to be big. there are a lot of very heavy women who still date just as much as a thin woman so they may not feel the pressure to get skinny as much as someone else

fgg

Quote Originally Posted by DolceVita View Post
    don't believe her. she's probably just trying to distract us from noticing the piles of oreos she's hoarded for secret eating when none of us are paying attention.

Gold Member

Wow, the weight issues always seem to provoke some kinds of conflicts.

I think that there is a huge difference between people (and I am talking about REALLY, REALLY overweight people) who are obese bc of a physical condition, which is a totally different story than those who are obese because they have no willpower or brains, for that matter. Like this lady from the youtube-video, posted by celeb, I believe. Seriously, her stupidity is gonna kill her, she brings it all on herself.

Even if she does slim down, she will still find it hard to get her choice of leading roles 'cause she's dark-skinned. Hollywood wants Halle-woods, unfortunately.

^ I'll never understand that either. I think her skin tone is beautiful. Some of the prettiest black women I know IRL have darker complexions, and I've always been a little jealous of how well they can pull off wearing brighter colors, they always looks so pretty against their skin.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDayButToday View Post
    ^ I'll never understand that either. I think her skin tone is beautiful. Some of the prettiest black women I know IRL have darker complexions, and I've always been a little jealous of how well they can pull off wearing brighter colors, they always looks so pretty against their skin.
    Yes, it certainly is unfair. The 70s were better for dark-skinned sisters. I mean, a couple of the Bond girls were gorgeous chocolate-colored women like Gloria Hendry. And then there was Judy Pace and Playboy Playmate Azizi Johari. But then the 80s came and we went right back to where we were, and where we are now, I'm afraid. We have women like Naomi Campbell and Alek Wek, but still in the eyes of many, they are considered "exotic" looking, whatever that means.

They still want the Halles and the Beyond-Egos . Halle I can take, but well, Beyonce is another thread entirely.

But I think Gabby has a cute face.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread Information