Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Precious' star Gabourey Sidibe: "My first diet started when I was six years old"

Quote Originally Posted by collateral damage View Post
    Guilty as charged. I am actually fascinated by severe obesity. I suppose you can't be fascinated without it being at the very least patronizing to obese people. And again, it's not that I'm heartless or rude. I just can't comprehend getting so so obese. If I gain more than 20 pounds I don't feel like myself anymore.

I freely admit this is my issue. Not trying to dump it on you.
    I guess anything that is taken to an extreme can be fascinating to some. I know I am fascinated by the show Hoarders. You have to wonder what the mind set is of people who live like that. I guess the extremely obese, in some cases, can be similar to hoarders. They get so far into a hole that they feel overwhelmed and perhaps just give up trying to change their situation.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    ok so you admit that you are being judgemental and possibly offensive to some members. So basically you're being an asshat

Well if that's how it comes across to you, and I can see how it does, I would have to apologize again. It was just a thoughtless comment. I do stand guilty as charged. I don't want to have a bias against obese people. But I'm not going to back pedal and pretend I don't to save face. If you think I'm being an asshat what can I say but I'm sorry.

I think any of our interests in types of things like hoarders is a real curiosity about what goes on in people's minds. You might say "troll hunting" is an interest for others because you can't understand how I can post the things I do and not realize they might be offensive.

But I honestly don't mean to be offensive. I guess it's easy to forget that people on a website might fall into categories that I am so cavalier about. I'm new to this so maybe my come uppance is an experience in and of itself.

I don't mean to be rude, I wouldn't want to be rude at all. It's not my "intended" style.

Some very interesting points there, especially about the "punishment"
    Quote Originally Posted by misrule View Post
    My two cents - being put on a 'diet' at age 6 is going to set you up with some lifelong issues towards food. Keeping in mind I know I have major issues with food, but to me being put on a 'diet' is different to changing eating habits and learning to be healthy. Being put on a 'Diet' as a child is humiliation.

A six year old rarely organises their own food so to become overweight is not often from the child making poor food choices, but from the adult feeding them making poor choices (massive generalisation, I know...but seriously, how many 6 year olds shop for and feed themselves?)
    The child is then 'punished' for these choices - you're fat, it's bad, you can't enjoy food. This sets them on a path of using food as reward, secretly eating food, hiding food - An unhealthy relationship with food before they are even feeding themselves.

A lifetime of Yo-yo dieting screws with your metabolism and messes with your head. It's completely different to gaining a few pounds over Xmas and having to get the weight off.

And I think you can be fascinated with a subject without being patronising about it. It's about being objective, or if you can't be objective, then being empathetic. About recognising you're talking about a human being, not a zoo specimen.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by collateral damage View Post
    Ok so we're agreed then. My take is getting twisted over posts on a message board is a sign that something is missing in real life. Another one to the ignore list. It is remarkable what a difference it makes on this site. Some sites you still see the post but on this one , gone with the fricking wind.

My point was I see many obese women with pretty faces who seem oblivious to their weight issues. When I walk in the bathroom it is pretty easy to ignore what shows up below the tits because I don't much see it. I've often wondered how a woman could let herself get to this level. For me, weight makes a huge difference in my face. I don't look as attractive with even ten pounds on. So I've never understood how women could let themselves go so far. But what I'm noticing is a pattern of pretty faces with huge bodies. So I'm wondering if women don't really pay attention to what goes on below the waist.

But ya' know, you and Diva are right because Denial is never an issue with obese women.

If you don't understand the point that doesn't mean there wasn't one.
    If you carry on being as combative as you have been so far , you will be the one on everyone else's ignore list.
    If you don't like people disagreeing with you-stop talking utter tripe about a subject you obviously know nothing about.
    I guess obese women walk around thinking they are in fact size 8 models. They can buy clothes anywhere , they never experience abuse from douches and lead a wonderful life of blissful denial

You are one of the most patronising fools i've ever seen online.

Oh, I just found this thread! I didn't realize everything I was missing out on. Sorry to be late to the thread, but now that I'm here I'm going to weigh in (pun intended) with my own thoughts on obesity!

Obesity is a disorder of fat deposition (or fat creation). I highly recommend reading the book "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes for those interested in learning about what science is exactly out there (or not out there) on good eating.

Here's a video of him talking to some medical residents (at least, that's who I think he's talking to): Why we gain weight: Adiposity 101 and the Alternative Hypothesis of Obesity It's 1:06 long (that is, an hour and six minutes), but I found it very enlightening.
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

Quote Originally Posted by DolceVita View Post
    If you carry on being as combative as you have been so far , you will be the one on everyone else's ignore list.
    If you don't like people disagreeing with you-stop talking utter tripe about a subject you obviously know nothing about.
    I guess obese women walk around thinking they are in fact size 8 models. They can buy clothes anywhere , they never experience abuse from douches and lead a wonderful life of blissful denial

You are one of the most patronising fools i've ever seen online.
    Did you hear that Dolce? That's the sound of her adding you to her ever growing list of posters on ignore! Here, have a cookie...
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

steals Lalique's cookies :p
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

If you're gonna eat Oreos, make them super fattening ones! it's all about the calories ya know.

Deep fried Oreos:

I've never tried them, but I bet they're delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    steals Lalique's cookies :p
    OH! You did not just steal mah cookies! It's on betch!
    Quote Originally Posted by bellini View Post
    If you're gonna eat Oreos, make them super fattening ones! it's all about the calories ya know.

Deep fried Oreos:

My pancreas hurts just looking at that picture
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

Deep fried Oreos:

They are the devil! And I am hungry.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

They look disgusting, imo. But I'm not a fan of Oreos.

^^ I can't stand Oreos but I'd eat the deep fried stuff around them.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Wombat View Post
    Here's a video of him talking to some medical residents (at least, that's who I think he's talking to): Why we gain weight: Adiposity 101 and the Alternative Hypothesis of Obesity It's 1:06 long (that is, an hour and six minutes), but I found it very enlightening.
    Very interesting. (She says as she eats a bean and rice burrito while watching it. Oops.)

fgg

Deep fried Oreos:

i don't really care for regular oreos but the fried ones are amazing! i had them once and they were all soft & warm. yummy!

Quote Originally Posted by misrule View Post
    My two cents - being put on a 'diet' at age 6 is going to set you up with some lifelong issues towards food. Keeping in mind I know I have major issues with food, but to me being put on a 'diet' is different to changing eating habits and learning to be healthy. Being put on a 'Diet' as a child is humiliation.

A six year old rarely organises their own food so to become overweight is not often from the child making poor food choices, but from the adult feeding them making poor choices (massive generalisation, I know...but seriously, how many 6 year olds shop for and feed themselves?)
    The child is then 'punished' for these choices - you're fat, it's bad, you can't enjoy food. This sets them on a path of using food as reward, secretly eating food, hiding food - An unhealthy relationship with food before they are even feeding themselves.

A lifetime of Yo-yo dieting screws with your metabolism and messes with your head. It's completely different to gaining a few pounds over Xmas and having to get the weight off.

And I think you can be fascinated with a subject without being patronising about it. It's about being objective, or if you can't be objective, then being empathetic. About recognising you're talking about a human being, not a zoo specimen.
    Excellent post, misrule.

Two of my children are extremely thin even though they eat all the time. Then one of my children is a bit chubby, not obese at all, but she will most likely always have to watch her weight. She is actually a lot more physically active than the other two.

I am constantly trying to "fatten up" the two that are skinny, then try to encourage the other to "eat healthy, non-fattening" foods. It puts me in a spot.

It's a really tricky situation for a parent... you don't want to be unfair and allow some to eat whatever they want, yet limit what the other eats. I don't want my daughter to get a complex or develop an eating disorder, and it's hard to flat out say "no, you can't have that." She is only 11 and is not weight conscious at all at this point.

If I only kept non-fattening foods in the house, I fear the underweight ones would just waste away to nothing.

Bottom line, some people are just genetically predisposed to carrying extra fat/being thin regardless of diet and activity.

Obviously there are plenty of people who are huge because of bad food choices, but then I have a cousin who is on some medication. She literally gained over 100 pounds in less than a year. She was never a tiny girl to begin with, always a bit on the thick side, but those meds sure made an impact. She is now morbidly obese and it's really difficult for her.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread Information