Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Precious' star Gabourey Sidibe: "My first diet started when I was six years old"

how do you figure that they don't notice? Have you went and asked these women if they notice that they are fat, if not go try that and come tell us the results.
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Hit By Ban Bus!

Shedevil, my comment was a musing, not a judgement. I thought of it when I saw how pretty this actress was. When we get photos on here we often scroll down to see the whole shot. That's what made me think of it. Also how many extraordinarily pretty women with severe weight problems I know.

I think of course they notice in. But what I meant is how it creeps up on you.

Anyway it's obvious I don't express myself well. Just take everything I post with a grain of salt. I'm not here trying to change the world. Just vegging and getting off boredom.

Quote Originally Posted by collateral damage View Post
    I'm sorry I offended you. I simply don't get "getting offended" by something a stranger posts on the internet. I'm not trying to be rude and I guess I'm blunt and not sugar coating things. I'm also not too bothered about posting perfectly. But if you are going to get offended by what I post I susgest that you put me on ignore.

Also the six or seven people that are on ignore for me don't constitute half the board. There's a lot of very nice posters on the board. And those that are looking for the fight seem to be a minority.
    ... and yet... you're the one with 6/7 people on ignore.

Picking someone up for inconsistancies, for asking them to explain their views? All this is "looking for a fight". Nope, not at all. And if you don't know the difference, maybe you should go learn it? And if your advance education hasn't taught you about this, it obviously wasn't worth the cereal tops that you paid for it, was it?

Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    how do you figure that they don't notice? Have you went and asked these women if they notice that they are fat, if not go try that and come tell us the results.
    With or without the black eyes?

I'm talking about weight like this woman does 300=350 pounds. Not just a little weight on or fat. When you approach levels that you have a huge fat slab hanging off your stomach I can't comprehend not noticing.
    Why are you again assuming that an obese woman doesn't notice her weight? Where do you get that? Just because she's obese means she hasn't notice? Maybe she's struggled with it all her life.

Also, honestly I'm chill and I'm not offended. I'm merely questioning your statements. I really don't think any of my posts came across as though I am angry, but if they did, I apologize.

I feel over-weight people are sometimes a group that it's still okay to pick on; to make these ridiculous assumptions/generalizations. She's fat=she has hygiene problems. Or she's fat=she must not care what she looks like. She's fat=she must be a glutton. And on and on. I don't think it's fair to make sweeping generalizations like this, it's condescending and mean spirited. You don't know until you walk in that person's shoes what's going on.

But what do I know? I don't have a Masters. JK.

WTF? I have full length mirrors in my house. I don't need to go to a store to see all of me! And just because I am a chunky butt, doesn't mean I let myself go? What kind of shit is that? Dude, that's just rude!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by bellini View Post
    Why are you again assuming that an obese woman doesn't notice her weight? Where do you get that? Just because she's obese means she hasn't notice? Maybe she's struggled with it all her life.

Also, honestly I'm chill and I'm not offended. I'm merely questioning your statements. I really don't think any of my posts came across as though I am angry, but if they did, I apologize.

I feel over-weight people are sometimes a group that it's still okay to pick on; to make these ridiculous assumptions/generalizations. She's fat=she has hygiene problems. Or she's fat=she must not care what she looks like. She's fat=she must be a glutton. And on and on. I don't think it's fair to make sweeping generalizations like this, it's condescending and mean spirited. You don't know until you walk in that person's shoes what's going on.

But what do I know? I don't have a Masters. JK.
    Thanks, I'm a little jaded so I guess I've been assuming.

I wouldn't judge a woman this way. In my mind I'm thinking of my Aunt. She is so beautiful and she had gastric bypass surgery when she was younger to try to help her with the weight. It was not performed properly and for 15 years she could not eat anything normal. I did have a tendency to judge people with weight issues before I reconnected with her. I admit it. But one night we sat up smoking and drinking coffee and she started crying telling me her concern was that she was an embarassment to the kids in the family and that they'd look up to her as the fat Auntie. I was mortified right then and there and all my previous judgments went straight out the window. The pain she was in was so so heartbreaking and I couldnt' phathom how it must feel to be her.

DisclaimerL: I don't think all heavy people feel this way.

But it was a wake up call to me. I was just pondering outloud. (or in text) and using my own experience of denying my weight issues. As I pointed out in catching myself in full length mirrors and whatnot.

I'm constantly torn between what is "ok" according to society and what is not. I worry about my own weight. I have a face that doesn't look good with ten pounds of weight on. I sort of look like Britney Spears. There's a poster on here who has an avatar with Britney with weight on and if I gain any weight I look like that. So right away I keep it off and if it goes to far I can't hide it from myself.

But some of the women I know, my Aunt included have beautiful faces, in fact they seem to look prettier with weight on. So I was just pondering.

My Aunt btw had the lap band surgery last Christmas and lost all the weight. She's tiny now. Teeeny tiny. IMO Her face was prettier when she was heavier.

Anyway nuff said. Again I didn't mean to be rude. I apologize for my sloppy posting.

collateral, have you noticed, in just about everyone of your blathering posts, you apologize for something you've said?

maybe you should try doing a blog instead. (i'm sure i'm setting you up for another long rambling post)
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Unless, of course, you are on ignore too...

eat a hot bowl of dicks.

Quote Originally Posted by collateral damage View Post
    Thanks, I'm a little jaded so I guess I've been assuming.

I wouldn't judge a woman this way. In my mind I'm thinking of my Aunt. She is so beautiful and she had gastric bypass surgery when she was younger to try to help her with the weight. It was not performed properly and for 15 years she could not eat anything normal. I did have a tendency to judge people with weight issues before I reconnected with her. I admit it. But one night we sat up smoking and drinking coffee and she started crying telling me her concern was that she was an embarassment to the kids in the family and that they'd look up to her as the fat Auntie. I was mortified right then and there and all my previous judgments went straight out the window. The pain she was in was so so heartbreaking and I couldnt' phathom how it must feel to be her.

DisclaimerL: I don't think all heavy people feel this way.

But it was a wake up call to me. I was just pondering outloud. (or in text) and using my own experience of denying my weight issues. As I pointed out in catching myself in full length mirrors and whatnot.

I'm constantly torn between what is "ok" according to society and what is not. I worry about my own weight. I have a face that doesn't look good with ten pounds of weight on. I sort of look like Britney Spears. There's a poster on here who has an avatar with Britney with weight on and if I gain any weight I look like that. So right away I keep it off and if it goes to far I can't hide it from myself.

But some of the women I know, my Aunt included have beautiful faces, in fact they seem to look prettier with weight on. So I was just pondering.

My Aunt btw had the lap band surgery last Christmas and lost all the weight. She's tiny now. Teeeny tiny. IMO Her face was prettier when she was heavier.

Anyway nuff said. Again I didn't mean to be rude. I apologize for my sloppy posting.
    See, this is what bother me about people and their differing opinions of weight. People tend put your issues, feelings onto others, and they think they should look like, and how they should feel.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by *DIVA! View Post
    See, this is what bother me about people and their differing opinions of weight. People tend put your issues, feelings onto others, and they think they should look like, and how they should feel.
    Guilty as charged. I am actually fascinated by severe obesity. I suppose you can't be fascinated without it being at the very least patronizing to obese people. And again, it's not that I'm heartless or rude. I just can't comprehend getting so so obese. If I gain more than 20 pounds I don't feel like myself anymore.

I freely admit this is my issue. Not trying to dump it on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Unless, of course, you are on ignore too...
    moi?
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

ok so you admit that you are being judgemental and possibly offensive to some members. So basically you're being an asshat
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

My two cents - being put on a 'diet' at age 6 is going to set you up with some lifelong issues towards food. Keeping in mind I know I have major issues with food, but to me being put on a 'diet' is different to changing eating habits and learning to be healthy. Being put on a 'Diet' as a child is humiliation.

A six year old rarely organises their own food so to become overweight is not often from the child making poor food choices, but from the adult feeding them making poor choices (massive generalisation, I know...but seriously, how many 6 year olds shop for and feed themselves?)
    The child is then 'punished' for these choices - you're fat, it's bad, you can't enjoy food. This sets them on a path of using food as reward, secretly eating food, hiding food - An unhealthy relationship with food before they are even feeding themselves.

A lifetime of Yo-yo dieting screws with your metabolism and messes with your head. It's completely different to gaining a few pounds over Xmas and having to get the weight off.

And I think you can be fascinated with a subject without being patronising about it. It's about being objective, or if you can't be objective, then being empathetic. About recognising you're talking about a human being, not a zoo specimen.
    I haven't fucked much with the past, but I've fucked plenty with the future

Quote Originally Posted by misrule View Post
    My two cents - being put on a 'diet' at age 6 is going to set you up with some lifelong issues towards food. Keeping in mind I know I have major issues with food, but to me being put on a 'diet' is different to changing eating habits and learning to be healthy. Being put on a 'Diet' as a child is humiliation.

A six year old rarely organises their own food so to become overweight is not often from the child making poor food choices, but from the adult feeding them making poor choices (massive generalisation, I know...but seriously, how many 6 year olds shop for and feed themselves?)
    The child is then 'punished' for these choices - you're fat, it's bad, you can't enjoy food. This sets them on a path of using food as reward, secretly eating food, hiding food - An unhealthy relationship with food before they are even feeding themselves.

A lifetime of Yo-yo dieting screws with your metabolism and messes with your head. It's completely different to gaining a few pounds over Xmas and having to get the weight off.
    Amen!

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information