Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

Thread: 'Precious' star Gabourey Sidibe: "My first diet started when I was six years old"

Quote Originally Posted by Little Wombat View Post
    To be honest, it's not how MUCH you eat or how much you exercise the determines your weight. It's your hormones. Insulin is the only hormone that drives fat storage. And eating carbohydrates - refined carbohydrates such as sugar or high-fructose corn syrup in particular - affects your insulin levels. Some people will be skinny no matter what, and some people will fatten at eating a chocolate chip cookie. (I fall more into the latter category.)

Why do we have an epidemic of obesity? It may be because over the past 30 years, we have thought a low-fat diet was good for us. And to make low-fat foods palatable to us, what do the manufacturers do? Add a cheap sweetener (high-fructose corn syrup) to the product to replace the fat. And the extra carbs end up fattening us, perhaps more so than the "regular fat" foods because the high-fructose corn syrup causes our insulin and blood sugar to shoot up immediately.
    I don't eat that stuff, thankfully. My problem is that I drink too much alcohol. Laid off it for a couple of weeks and dropped ten pounds. HFCS is the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Wombat View Post
    To be honest, it's not how MUCH you eat or how much you exercise the determines your weight. It's your hormones. Insulin is the only hormone that drives fat storage. And eating carbohydrates - refined carbohydrates such as sugar or high-fructose corn syrup in particular - affects your insulin levels. Some people will be skinny no matter what, and some people will fatten at eating a chocolate chip cookie. (I fall more into the latter category.)

Why do we have an epidemic of obesity? It may be because over the past 30 years, we have thought a low-fat diet was good for us. And to make low-fat foods palatable to us, what do the manufacturers do? Add a cheap sweetener (high-fructose corn syrup) to the product to replace the fat. And the extra carbs end up fattening us, perhaps more so than the "regular fat" foods because the high-fructose corn syrup causes our insulin and blood sugar to shoot up immediately.
    Isn't high-fructose corn syrup one on those things that has been so changed that the body doesn't recognise it & naturally give out "I'm full" signals?
    Last time I was in the US I couldn't eat processed drinks or food due to how sweet they were, they tasted totally disgusting to me, like when something has too much garlic in it? or salt? Totally disgusting....

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Isn't high-fructose corn syrup one on those things that has been so changed that the body doesn't recognise it & naturally give out "I'm full" signals?
    Last time I was in the US I couldn't eat processed drinks or food due to how sweet they were, they tasted totally disgusting to me, like when something has too much garlic in it? or salt? Totally disgusting....
    Not exactly. Yes, it's a highly processed item made from corn, but chemically, it's not that different from table sugar. Table sugar is 50% glucose and 50% fructose, and HFCS is 45% glucose and 55% fructose.

It's in almost everything (processed) these days since it's so cheap and makes processed foods taste better than they would without it.

You can eat tons of non-fat processed foods without getting "I'm full" signals because your insulin drives energy into your fat cells. In a way, you could say it starves your body because the energy goes into your fat instead of the rest of your body, which is why you don't feel "full." Think about it - you can eat a super-sized popcorn at a movie theater, but it's a lot harder to ingest the same amount of calories eating steak or a full-fat cheese.
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Americans tend to put way too much garlic into everything these days, too. I think they think it makes them seem sophisticated and European, when all it does is show they don't have any knowledge about flavoring fresh food so you can actually taste the ingredients under the garlic. It's bizarre. If they see a recipe calling for one clove, they think six is better. They don't understand moderation. More is always better. More butter, more salt, more pasta, more cheese, more meat. More. More. More. Then they wonder why they need cranes to lift them out of their houses when they become super morbidly obese.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoAmI View Post
    Americans tend to put way too much garlic into everything these days, too. I think they think it makes them seem sophisticated and European, when all it does is show they don't have any knowledge about flavoring fresh food so you can actually taste the ingredients under the garlic. It's bizarre. If they see a recipe calling for one clove, they think six is better. They don't understand moderation. More is always better. More butter, more salt, more pasta, more cheese, more meat. More. More. More. Then they wonder why they need cranes to lift them out of their houses when they become super morbidly obese.

Or maybe we just like garlic?
    Way to bunch us all together, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoAmI View Post
    Thanks a fucking lot! You do know that there are a lot of us "Americans" on this board....Riight!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Cuz you know we all like tons of garlic and need cranes to haul us out of our homes.

Way to generalize.

Lots of garlic is healthy, keeps the vampires away.

I would like to announce that I am an American and I'm not morbidly obese. You can't generalize like that. It's insulting.

Sorry if I went off on a rant. It was a rude comment.

fgg

i'm one of those americans that uses 6 cloves instead of 1 and tons of salt. i like a lot of flavor but i eat food in moderation and am FAR from obese.

I like to use a lot of garlic,too. I'd rather use a little too much than not enough and wind up with bland food. Besides,it's better to use a little extra garlic than use more salt to add flavor.

I never once thought I was being sophisticated when I added garlic to something
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Yeah, silly me, I just thought I ate garlic because it tastes good, when all along it meant I really wanted to be European. Who knew?

Thread Information