Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: 'Precious' star Gabourey Sidibe: "My first diet started when I was six years old"

Quote Originally Posted by Perilita View Post
    Oh, I`m so sorry, I did not realize that I`m talking to a professional poster here!
    In the bitchiest, most cuntiest voice I have:

"And don't you fucking forget it!"
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by *DIVA! View Post
    In the bitchiest, most cuntiest voice I have:

"And don't you fucking forget it!"
    Wow, so I am special after all? I got the best you can do on your bitchiness,huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Perilita View Post
    Wow, so I am special after all? I got the best you can do on your bitchiness,huh?
    Not to me, but I'm a sarcastic fat bitch. And I don't understand what you mean in your other sentence. The grammar or some shit is off?!?!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Quote Originally Posted by *DIVA! View Post
    Not all obese people are compulsive over eaters.
    There is a smaller percentage that have medical reasons for gaining weight. But I do think that most overweight people in general are compulsive overeaters and just don't realize it. Thats not a criticism, I don't think they're stuffing themselves at the buffet with fatty foods, I just think its really hard to calorie count and keep yourself within a range for your height and range. According to my chart, I have to eat 1650 daily just to maintain my weight if I'm not exercising. That is difficult to do. I know when I was overweight and then dropped the weight to come back to normal range, it dawned on me just HOW MUCH I had been consuming without realizing. It does suck to calorie count but for me, thats the effective way of losing weight (and of course, making sure you're aren't ingesting fatty foods, eating plenty of fiber, etc.) If you overeat 3500 calories more than you have to survive, you gain 1 pound. It was much easier for me to do than I realized! I think that some people think that obese people are just sloppy and eating gross stuff all the time, thats not necessarily true. I just think that your body gets used to ingesting a larger portion size all the time and thats what feels normal. I actually feel bad for obese people because some of them, like my mother, suffer from depression and other reasons that cause them to overeat. I used to overeat out of boredom. Also, once you reach a certain weight it becomes really hard to lose the weight and for it to be recognizable. My mom has several times lost twenty plus pounds which is GREAT but then she gets depressed again because its not showing, because she is that much overweight, which leads to decreased motivation and eventually gaining the weight back. I think everyone should just focus on being healthy first and foremost, and not necessarily what you weigh. The weight will fall off over time if you exercise your ass off, and you're getting your heart healthy, which is the most important thing.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

fgg

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    It does suck to calorie count but for me, thats the effective way of losing weight (and of course, making sure you're aren't ingesting fatty foods, eating plenty of fiber, etc.).
    i agree with this. working in an office it is very easy to eat the leftover crap from meetings, the junk people bring in on food days or the random candy people have lying around. during the week, i try to keep to 1200 calories a day when i'm not exercising (which is most of the time ) because i like being around 120 lbs. if i didn't pay attention and write it down, my pants would definitely start getting tight.

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    i agree with this. working in an office it is very easy to eat the leftover crap from meetings, the junk people bring in on food days or the random candy people have lying around. during the week, i try to keep to 1200 calories a day when i'm not exercising (which is most of the time ) because i like being around 120 lbs. if i didn't pay attention and write it down, my pants would definitely start getting tight.
    Thats exactly how I am too. On the days I exercise with cardio and strength training, I allow myself 1600 calories, otherwise I stick to 1250. I'm trying to lose a bit of holiday weight, about five pounds now because I really neglected any sense of healthy diet, and then I can allow myself a little more calories throughout the week to maintain. Its actually not that hard to keep it at a minimum if you know what you're ingesting. Before I used to just nibble on things all day, and when I actually would look at the box or whatever I'd be like "damn, I just ingested at least 500 calories, how did that happen!" I'm also not super strict with myself, if I go over I just make sure I'm better the next day. I don't want to drive myself crazy or give myself a disorder over a few extra pounds, it will come off eventually as long as I eat healthy and keep exercising.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    Some people have to be VERY careful about what they eat, and some people don't. Is it a character flaw to have an unkind metabolism? I'm not talking about a major glandular disorder, it's just the fact that we are all different. Some people are willing to work at it, some aren't. To me, it's akin to an verbal person trying to be an engineering major - it can be done, but it's harder for some than others.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Oh yeah - genetics and natural body shape can have a lot to do with it. As I've said before, I have an ex who would eat three times as much as me and was slender as a whip. Whenever he was off his food for even just a couple of days then you could literally see what little weight he had melting off him. So if a slim person can be that way then a larger person can, too. Some people can live on strict calorie controlled diets and flog themselves in the gym several times a week and never cheat on their healthy eating plan and are STILL never going to be slim because that is how they are built. We can't all be size 0, or even a 10 or 12 because mother nature created us to be individuals, not injection moulded clones.

Without sounding snarky, we can't all be a 2 or a 12, but we shouldn't be a size 5X either. People do have issues with weight and may always carry 40 extra pounds, but someone who grows to be morbidly obese isn't the same. There is an epidemic of obesity, and it's growing. The majority of it is caused by bad eating habits and lack of exercise. Sidibe isn't just overweight, she's obese.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

^^ She is morbidly obese.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Without sounding snarky, we can't all be a 2 or a 12, but we shouldn't be a size 5X either. People do have issues with weight and may always carry 40 extra pounds, but someone who grows to be morbidly obese isn't the same. There is an epidemic of obesity, and it's growing. The majority of it is caused by bad eating habits and lack of exercise. Sidibe isn't just overweight, she's obese.
    I totally agree with you. Speaking as someone who's carrying an extra 55 pounds right now, I'll never understand how people allow themselves to get that big. I'm probably considered obese right now, and have spent most of my teens and adult years battling the 200 number.

When I stepped on the scale on New Years Day and saw the 205 staring back at me, it woke me up. For the first time in my life, I'm over 200 pounds, a number I always swore I would never be and have fought for a good 10 years now.

I already have health issues related to years of being overweight. Type 2 diabetic with a very strong family history, I could cop out and blame it on my parents and grandparents, but the reality is, I've done this to myself. I can't fathom the issues someone morbidly obese faces in their early 30s or 40s.

In all honesty, I'm not healthy and can't be while being this heavy, so the argument that you're big and healthy doesn't ring true to me. It'll catch up eventually, it always does. I'm proof of that. I was always very athletic (played 3 sports in hs, including soccer), ate relatively healthy and here I am 15 years later, coping with my bad decisions and choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    I totally agree with you. Speaking as someone who's carrying an extra 55 pounds right now, I'll never understand how people allow themselves to get that big. I'm probably considered obese right now, and have spent most of my teens and adult years battling the 200 number.

When I stepped on the scale on New Years Day and saw the 205 staring back at me, it woke me up. For the first time in my life, I'm over 200 pounds, a number I always swore I would never be and have fought for a good 10 years now.

I already have health issues related to years of being overweight. Type 2 diabetic with a very strong family history, I could cop out and blame it on my parents and grandparents, but the reality is, I've done this to myself. I can't fathom the issues someone morbidly obese faces in their early 30s or 40s.

In all honesty, I'm not healthy and can't be while being this heavy, so the argument that you're big and healthy doesn't ring true to me. It'll catch up eventually, it always does. I'm proof of that. I was always very athletic (played 3 sports in hs, including soccer), ate relatively healthy and here I am 15 years later, coping with my bad decisions and choices.
    I've had a number of family members (MIL) and coworkers in the same situation, and they have pulled themselves back from the brink. For Type 2 diabetics, getting your weight back down, and having a better diet, has a huge impact on how you will have to manage your diabetes. I know that's kind of obvious, but I don't think it hurts to repeat it.

For my MIL, my wife and I started stocking low-sugar foods (ice cream, jam, sweetener packets, candy), and had low-fat meals in general. and my MIL went on long walks every morning -- easy on the joints and actually burns calories. Her situation is a lot better, and she has outlived both of her sisters (who succumbed to diabetes complications) by 5 years and counting....

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I've had a number of family members (MIL) and coworkers in the same situation, and they have pulled themselves back from the brink. For Type 2 diabetics, getting your weight back down, and having a better diet, has a huge impact on how you will have to manage your diabetes. I know that's kind of obvious, but I don't think it hurts to repeat it.

For my MIL, my wife and I started stocking low-sugar foods (ice cream, jam, sweetener packets, candy), and had low-fat meals in general. and my MIL went on long walks every morning -- easy on the joints and actually burns calories. Her situation is a lot better, and she has outlived both of her sisters (who succumbed to diabetes complications) by 5 years and counting....
    Oh, I know it can be done. I actually manage my diabetes well with diet and exercise alone. I've been slacking the last 6 months or so and it's now in my face. I don't even want to know what my hemoglobin Ac1 test is going to show next week. The change has to be in my lifestyle and not just a few months of dieting/watching myself.

Like others above posted, I tend to be a boredom eater and I have NO self control if I start on the sweets. One piece of chocolate sets me over the edge. I actually don't bring junk into my house at all for that very reason. Work is a whole nother story. LOL

I actually have started wearing a pedometer to track how much I'm walking. On an average day I do 4 miles alone at work. If I don't hit the 5 mile mark that day, at night I take the dogs on a nice long walk.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    Like others above posted, I tend to be a boredom eater and I have NO self control if I start on the sweets. One piece of chocolate sets me over the edge. I actually don't bring junk into my house at all for that very reason. Work is a whole nother story. LOL
    Even though I'm thin, that happens to me, too. I will eat a whole bag of anything next to me. My wife has bought me stuff like a bag of peanuts, and I will compulsively, mindlessly eat it on the drive home. My motivation for holding off, though, is my cholesterol level. It's higher than it should be for my weight, so I've had to exercise more discipline for that reason....

To be honest, it's not how MUCH you eat or how much you exercise the determines your weight. It's your hormones. Insulin is the only hormone that drives fat storage.
    The overall action of insulin on the adipocyte is to stimulate fat storage and inhibit mobilization. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/bookshelf/br.fcgi?book=endocrin∂=A43#A63
    And eating carbohydrates - refined carbohydrates such as sugar or high-fructose corn syrup in particular - affects your insulin levels. Some people will be skinny no matter what, and some people will fatten at eating a chocolate chip cookie. (I fall more into the latter category.)

Why do we have an epidemic of obesity? It may be because over the past 30 years, we have thought a low-fat diet was good for us. And to make low-fat foods palatable to us, what do the manufacturers do? Add a cheap sweetener (high-fructose corn syrup) to the product to replace the fat. And the extra carbs end up fattening us, perhaps more so than the "regular fat" foods because the high-fructose corn syrup causes our insulin and blood sugar to shoot up immediately.
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

Thread Information