Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 209

Thread: 'Precious' star Gabourey Sidibe: "My first diet started when I was six years old"

  1. #136
    Elite Member Kittylady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'
    Posts
    21,244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Perilita View Post

    But to take the case of this woman: She probably has nothing to do in her life, she is most probably ill educated and has no interests. So, she tries to fill that void with eating. And now she is addicted. Had she been smarter, she would find better things to do with her life. Seriously, there are far worse problems out there with people having nothing to eat and nowhere to live.


    Now, to the comment about intelligent people being depressed more often. Depression is a whole different issue than an addiction.
    Indeed - and nowhere did I say otherwise. However, unrecognised and untreated depression can lead a person into self destructive behaviours that can then lead, unwittingly, into an addiction to legal or illegal substances.

    Also, education and intelligence are two different things. You can be thick as two short planks but still go through an educational system, just as there are people out there who will never have had a day of formal education in their life but are still intelligent. But by saying that she is "probably ill educated" and "Had she been smarter, she would find better things to do with her life." you are making biased assumptions. It could well be that what you are saying is true, but it could equally be patently false. People with a good education and an apparently busy and fulfilling life can still fall prey to all of this. In fact, one of the reasons why some research has concluded that intelligent people are more prone to depressive bouts is because they are more inclined to question and analyse (sometimes over-analyse) themselves, their lives and their emotions. Depression, emotional difficulties and/or addiction is not respectful of class, wealth or background. It won't be too scared to knock at your door because you have a diploma on your wall or an active participant in numerous social, business and community activities, and to think otherwise is buying into the "pull yourself together and be grateful for what you have" stereotype (which is incredibly unhelpful to a sufferer, by the way). It's not about being ungrateful, it's not about how much or how little you have, it's about the delicate chemistry in your brain getting a little - or a lot - screwed up and just because you can't see it or put a splint on it doesn't mean its not happening and isn't having a profound effect on someone's life.

  2. #137
    Elite Member Lalique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The land of ice and snow
    Posts
    6,222

    Default

    "But to take the case of this woman: She probably has nothing to do in her life, she is most probably ill educated and has no interests. So, she tries to fill that void with eating. And now she is addicted. Had she been smarter, she would find better things to do with her life"

    Speculate much? If you do not know the woman's background, don't assume she is stupid. Damn. For you, fat = stupid.
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

  3. #138
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    33,259

    Default

    Are there obese people who compulsively eat stuff like alfalfa sprouts, whole grain bread, turkey breast, and grapefruit?

  4. #139
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    724

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    Indeed - and nowhere did I say otherwise. However, unrecognised and untreated depression can lead a person into self destructive behaviours that can then lead, unwittingly, into an addiction to legal or illegal substances.

    Also, education and intelligence are two different things. You can be thick as two short planks but still go through an educational system, just as there are people out there who will never have had a day of formal education in their life but are still intelligent. But by saying that she is "probably ill educated" and "Had she been smarter, she would find better things to do with her life." you are making biased assumptions. It could well be that what you are saying is true, but it could equally be patently false. People with a good education and an apparently busy and fulfilling life can still fall prey to all of this. In fact, one of the reasons why some research has concluded that intelligent people are more prone to depressive bouts is because they are more inclined to question and analyse (sometimes over-analyse) themselves, their lives and their emotions. Depression, emotional difficulties and/or addiction is not respectful of class, wealth or background. It won't be too scared to knock at your door because you have a diploma on your wall or an active participant in numerous social, business and community activities, and to think otherwise is buying into the "pull yourself together and be grateful for what you have" stereotype (which is incredibly unhelpful to a sufferer, by the way). It's not about being ungrateful, it's not about how much or how little you have, it's about the delicate chemistry in your brain getting a little - or a lot - screwed up and just because you can't see it or put a splint on it doesn't mean its not happening and isn't having a profound effect on someone's life.
    Ok, I have to agree with everything you`ve said. Especially the "over-analyzing".

    And you are right, I guess, about "being ungrateful", but you know, I sometimes ask myself whether I (or anybody else)) "have the right to suffer" because of things like that when others suffer much more and, objectively, are far less lucky in life.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lalique View Post
    "But to take the case of this woman: She probably has nothing to do in her life, she is most probably ill educated and has no interests. So, she tries to fill that void with eating. And now she is addicted. Had she been smarter, she would find better things to do with her life"

    Speculate much? If you do not know the woman's background, don't assume she is stupid. Damn. For you, fat = stupid.
    No, fat does not equal stupid for me. Anyways, like I said in the earlier post, I have to agree with the points Kittylady has made.

    I havent really explored the subject, and maybe I should have done it before judging others.
    Last edited by Tati; January 13th, 2010 at 08:22 PM.

  5. #140
    Elite Member Kittylady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'
    Posts
    21,244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Perilita View Post
    Ok, I have to agree with everything you`ve said. Especially the "over-analyzing".

    And you are right, I guess, about "being ungrateful", but you know, I sometimes ask myself whether I (or anybody else)) "have the right to suffer" because of things like that when others suffer much more and, objectively, are far less lucky in life.
    But again, depression doesn't care about that. It isn't a right or a privilege or a luxury and when it strikes it doesn't matter if you are living in a palace or a poorhouse, you become unable to appreciate what you have, regardless of how much or little that is. Life becomes grey, tasteless and cold. Pleasure from even the simplest things is something that you can see happening to others but are unable to understand or experience yourself. You cease to live and merely exist in a void. It is a cold, crushing place to be.

  6. #141
    Super Moderator NoDayButToday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    14,621

    Default

    Don't confuse the character with the actress. Just because Precious was undereducated in a shitty situation doesn't make Gabourey the same. She is an actress.

    Gabourey was a psychology student at Mercy College when she was cast in Precious, I'd say that's not exactly ill educated.

  7. #142
    Elite Member Kittylady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'
    Posts
    21,244

    Default

    ^^ I really hope that she chooses to carry on with her studies. Psychology is a fascinating subject and it's always good to have a plan B in case she gets sick of the warped world of Hollyweird.

  8. #143
    Elite Member Novice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Beyond Caring, then hang a left.
    Posts
    46,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Perilita View Post
    Oh no! You think I am stupid? Whatever will I do with my life now?

    I have to admit though, that maybe I truly do not understand that over-eating it is an addiction just like a drug addiction. Then again, starting taking drugs IS stupid. Yes, I know, people hav dif. reasons for doing that, but it does not mean it`s not stupid.

    But to take the case of this woman: She probably has nothing to do in her life, she is most probably ill educated and has no interests. So, she tries to fill that void with eating. And now she is addicted. Had she been smarter, she would find better things to do with her life. Seriously, there are far worse problems out there with people having nothing to eat and nowhere to live.


    Now, to the comment about intelligent people being depressed more often. Depression is a whole different issue than an addiction.
    If you are trying to style yourself on our beloved FF you're failing miserably. She, at the very least, had comedy moments.

    Quote Originally Posted by Perilita View Post
    No, fat does not equal stupid for me. Anyways, like I said in the earlier post, I have to agree with the points Kittylady has made.

    I havent really explored the subject, and maybe I should have done it before judging others.
    Yes, yes, you should have.

    Quote Originally Posted by NoDayButToday View Post
    Don't confuse the character with the actress. Just because Precious was undereducated in a shitty situation doesn't make Gabourey the same. She is an actress.

    Gabourey was a psychology student at Mercy College when she was cast in Precious, I'd say that's not exactly ill educated.
    So many people do, but them they also equate obese with stupid and lazy not disorder & compulltion.

  9. #144
    Elite Member *DIVA!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    15,753

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Perilita View Post
    Oh no! You think I am stupid? Whatever will I do with my life now?

    I have to admit though, that maybe I truly do not understand that over-eating it is an addiction just like a drug addiction. Then again, starting taking drugs IS stupid. Yes, I know, people hav dif. reasons for doing that, but it does not mean it`s not stupid.

    But to take the case of this woman: She probably has nothing to do in her life, she is most probably ill educated and has no interests. So, she tries to fill that void with eating. And now she is addicted. Had she been smarter, she would find better things to do with her life. Seriously, there are far worse problems out there with people having nothing to eat and nowhere to live.


    Now, to the comment about intelligent people being depressed more often. Depression is a whole different issue than an addiction.
    And you know this how? Do you also have a fat friend who hoards food, and that you are basing all your ill-informed thoughts on??
    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Are there obese people who compulsively eat stuff like alfalfa sprouts, whole grain bread, turkey breast, and grapefruit?
    Do you? I take it that you think that, if one is obese that they should eat this way?? Not!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

    I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

  10. #145
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    33,259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by *DIVA! View Post
    Do you? I take it that you think that, if one is obese that they should eat this way?? Not!
    No, I just didn't phrase the question the way I wanted to, probably. Theoretically, a person could gain a lot of weight on the food I mentioned, but the calorie yield is a lot lower for stuff I mentioned. I'm wondering if there is a basis not only for how much food a compulsive eater takes in, but also what they select.

  11. #146
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    724

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by *DIVA! View Post
    And you know this how? Do you also have a fat friend who hoards food, and that you are basing all your ill-informed thoughts on??

    Do you? I take it that you think that, if one is obese that they should eat this way?? Not!
    Do you only read the posts you can pick on? I have already stated that I probably know too little of the subject to judge. now relax

  12. #147
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,255

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    ^^ whaaat? how can you not like oreos?
    i think you should be banned for saying that. it's downright insulting for us oreo lovers.


    ...
    Oreos will be banned when I rule the world! Along with meat
    Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    don't believe her. she's probably just trying to distract us from noticing the piles of oreos she's hoarded for secret eating when none of us are paying attention.
    I do secretly eat crisps! I have a stash and use it instead of sex
    Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    Even if she does slim down, she will still find it hard to get her choice of leading roles 'cause she's dark-skinned. Hollywood wants Halle-woods, unfortunately.
    Good point! My mum is mixed race and she told me this rhyme-


    If you are white you'll be all right
    If you are brown stick around
    IF you are black get back

  13. #148
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5,847

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NoDayButToday View Post
    Gabourey was a psychology student at Mercy College when she was cast in Precious, I'd say that's not exactly ill educated.
    I'm a grad student at Mercy, and EVERYONE is a psych major there. LOL.

  14. #149
    Elite Member *DIVA!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    15,753

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    No, I just didn't phrase the question the way I wanted to, probably. Theoretically, a person could gain a lot of weight on the food I mentioned, but the calorie yield is a lot lower for stuff I mentioned. I'm wondering if there is a basis not only for how much food a compulsive eater takes in, but also what they select.
    Not all obese people are compulsive over eaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perilita View Post
    Do you only read the posts you can pick on? I have already stated that I probably know too little of the subject to judge. now relax
    I have a post count of over 10k, if I only read and replied to post I can pick on...my post count would be a couple of hundred! Hilarious, that you thought you were special!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

    I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

  15. #150
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    724

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by *DIVA! View Post
    Not all obese people are compulsive over eaters.

    I have a post count of over 10k, if I only read and replied to post I can pick on...my post count would be a couple of hundred! Hilarious, that you thought you were special!
    Oh, I`m so sorry, I did not realize that I`m talking to a professional poster here!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. "Precious" actress Gabourey Sidibe in purple
    By Honey in forum Famous Style
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: November 22nd, 2009, 02:16 PM
  2. Gabourey Sidibe at David Letterman
    By Honey in forum Famous Style
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: November 18th, 2009, 08:09 AM
  3. Gabourey Sidibe: "Precious" star
    By olivia720 in forum Famous Style
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: November 3rd, 2009, 08:15 AM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: August 31st, 2007, 01:22 PM
  5. Gemma Ward - "Esprique Precious" Advertisements
    By stef in forum Magazines and Photoshoots
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: June 17th, 2007, 12:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •