Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: Oprah buys 10% of Weight Watchers

Here's my question - if someone with every resource at hand to lose weight still struggles with it, do you think that just maybe it really is legitimately harder for some people than others and that we should perhaps not treat being overweight as a character flaw? I read an article recently about type 1 diabetics who would deliberately restrict their insulin intake so that they could eat more food and lose weight. That to me shows that it's more than "calories in calories out" for people with hormones out of whack (I guess laws-of-physics-wise, it's still calories in calories out, but one part of that equation isn't as straighforward as it might seem), so it could go the other way and make it a shitton harder for some people to keep weight off than others.
    stef, Angeli and ManxMouse like this.

I hate when people say "well she has the money to pay people...." Money does not make you better able to lose weight.
    Angeli likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I hate when people say "well she has the money to pay people...." Money does not make you better able to lose weight.
    It helps to have a full time chef to prepare healthy foods, though.

Much of weight loss and dieting is the ability to mentally see yourself as something other than a fat person. People lose weight, get a new look, then can't deal with that new person in the mirror - the person is a stranger with unmet expectations and an unfamiliar relationship with success, not the usual overweight person they're accustomed to seeing. I worked with a woman who lost about 100 pounds and her new look was beautiful - she redid her makeup, her wardrobe, her hair. After a couple of months, she said she was probably going to regain the weight back because her husband wasn't complimenting her enough. It wasn't enough that she lost the weight for her own satisfaction - it was for something/someone else and he hadn't bothered to notice enough. I think Oprah's got a lot of cash and the opportunity to be thinner if she wants, but does she want?
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Q: If Oprah Winfrey buys 10% of Weight Watchers and eats 50% of that portion, how much of the original Weight Watchers is left? (please show all work in order to receive partial credit).
    robertmarilyn and joebob like this.

Can you give us the answer in chart form please?
    darksithbunny, sluce and Brookie like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    It helps to have a full time chef to prepare healthy foods, though.
    And a nutritionist and a personal trainer and a good doctor to monitor any thyroid issues/diabetes/metabolic issues. It all helps. Does it mean the person can lose weight easily because of their resources? No, but it does help to have that professional support system.

I was referring to the people in my post that aren't even really trying to lose weight. The ones who sit around and eat donuts all day like that heifer I mentioned in my post and then want people to feel sorry for her because she was overweight.
    sluce and gas_chick like this.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

She made her personal chef and personal trainer famous in the 90's. I bought her personal chef's book. I wasn't even fat then. She got the country to hit the road and start walking. We did. What happened to all that?

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Well I can tell you that I got fat again.
    sluce, Air Quotes and Brah like this.

I love that my iphone has the health app that shows me my steps per day/week/month, etc. It fascinates me that it knows when I am walking vs driving, etc. It counts the number flights I go up each day. It must be gps based.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Can you give us the answer in chart form please?
    Brookie, Trixie and joebob like this.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    My sister is a nutritionist for Weight Watchers and is a regional director. (Great job for a SAHM as most of it can be done during school hours onsite or home) A few of her sites were involved in the piloting of the new system and it went over well when used with the new personal coaching support they're offering.

The new plan finally includes sugar content in calculating points, which none of the previous points plan did. The more protein in a food, the lower the points value. Increase the sugar, increase the points value. For instance, a 16 ounce Starbucks Chai Lattee has around 200 calories but 42 grams of sugar giving it a very high points value of 16 as opposed to previously being 7 points under Points Plus.
    I quit WW once the new plan started for this exact reason. Weight loss, no matter how boring this sounds, is about burning more calories than you eat. Period. My grande non- fat peppermint mocha, at 200 calories, should not be 14 points. Drinking two of those puts me at my daily limit for points (not that I would drink two,but just giving an example). That's 400 calories. Um, no. I don't want WW to be a nutritionist, I want it to help me lose weight. The people dropping WW in droves is proof of that.

They have lots of sound bites, like only 30% of their foods increased in points. Bottom line is the new plan is way too restrictive.

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    its more like she ate 10% of Weight Watchers.

It's kind of like Lindsay Lohan buying Alcohol Anonymous
    I pee if you make me laugh like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Angeli View Post
    Chalet, I agree with you about the message she is projecting. But I also think the reason a lot of people resist dieting (or fail at dieting) is because they think, "But I can't give up bread/pasta/fried chicken/ice cream/cake/chocolate/enchiladadas/whatever" when they are used to eating it regularly or using it to reward themselves.
    That's what I mean - to change the way of thinking - 'not giving up this and that but making each meal packed with nutrition'.

Quote Originally Posted by stella blue View Post
    Here's my question - if someone with every resource at hand to lose weight still struggles with it, do you think that just maybe it really is legitimately harder for some people than others and that we should perhaps not treat being overweight as a character flaw? I read an article recently about type 1 diabetics who would deliberately restrict their insulin intake so that they could eat more food and lose weight. That to me shows that it's more than "calories in calories out" for people with hormones out of whack (I guess laws-of-physics-wise, it's still calories in calories out, but one part of that equation isn't as straighforward as it might seem), so it could go the other way and make it a shitton harder for some people to keep weight off than others.
    Everyone who I was close with who wanted to lose weight said it was from emotional issues. Food was medicine. Even the "foodies" when we go out for a great meal with wine AND dessert. I mean, did you ever go out with people who have no interest in food? GAWD. So boring. The foodies wished they didn't love food so much and wished they're lives didn't revolve around meals. It's just damn hard.

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    She made her personal chef and personal trainer famous in the 90's. I bought her personal chef's book. I wasn't even fat then. She got the country to hit the road and start walking. We did. What happened to all that?
    I just looked at Oprah's twitter. She has them walking again.

Oprah has a video of her eating breakfast. I eat this breakfast four days per week with a 7 minute egg. I scramble the egg with sauteed lacinato kale and onion, kosher salt, pepper over a little quinoa. 350 calories including the olive oil. I just calculated that on

Food Calculator

Now Oprah is calling this a "sexy breakfast". Watch the entire world eat this breakfast revelation.

Oprah Winfrey took a very unwanted bath after Weight Watchers stock took a huge hit.
    WW shares dropped a whopping 20 percent when the company reported a 21 percent drop in fourth-quarter net revenue -- which means O's bank account is about 24 million bucks lighter today.
    Cry not for Oprah -- she's still reportedly cleared nearly $75 million since buying a 10-percent stake in the company and joining its board. The stock doubled the day her deal was announced ... but it's looking more like your typical yo-yo dieter now.
    Not that we know anyone like that.

Read more: Celebrity Gossip | Entertainment News | Celebrity News | TMZ.com
    Brookie and twitchy2.0 like this.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Q: If Oprah Winfrey buys 10% of Weight Watchers and eats 50% of that portion, how much of the original Weight Watchers is left? (please show all work in order to receive partial credit).
    A: The second train gets to Chicago at 9:20 PM.

I did the work, but the dog ate it.
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information