Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: An Open Letter

Speaking as someone who has been at both ends of the scales (figuratively and literally) I do tend to get a little bugged out by people who moan about their weight, and as Holly said, it's the people who expect everything to change for them, and are too lazy to scrape themselves out of the hole they've dug that irk me.
    I think I get a bit annoyed by defeatist attitudes as well, having successfully pulled myself out of the 'diet starts tomorrow' torpour and actually doing something..I want other people to do it too!! It doesn't have to be difficult. It's all about the attitude you have.
    And I don't want to sound patronisiing in any way, but I always feel rather sorry for morbidly obese people...it can't be comfortable to be out of breath after walking 100 metres...

eta-I don't think this board is particularly 'fattist'....maybe to the celebs who put themselves out there in the public spotlight, but to board members...there's alot of support out there....

Quote Originally Posted by Valley Doll View Post
    What I want to know is this: how is that you so-called enlightened people who support gay rights, animal rights, reproductive rights-all worthy causes-can't muster a polite tone toward us who are fat? I guess it's true: being anti-fat is the last chance that someone can be discriminatory against without fear of being called on it because everyone laughs at the morbidly obese. Right?
    As someone who has fought a weight problem before, I empathize, and it's difficult to be overweight in society in general. People don't necessarily treat you well when you're overweight and it sucks. It just does.

I'm guessing this post has as much to do with what you may have experienced in real life as it does what goes on around here, but that said, please don't take anything on here too personally. Many things, including religion, get a sound bashing around here. Probably everyone on here could get offended by what the majority seems to think about something, but you can't take it too seriously.

I'm sorry if anyone has gotten their feelings hurt.

I think of unhealthy fatness as a cultural problem. I think that's why it ends up in the news and on this gossip board. Many Western nations are facing some serious public health issues because of poor nutrition and obesity. Especially as today we are seeing so many children who are unhealthily overweight at very early ages. The health picture over those kids' lifetimes is not good.

I've always been pretty thin, but I learned after my pregnancy how hard it can be to lose weight. At that point, I developed a lot more sympathy for people who struggle with extra poundage.

And then I took these college nutrition classes--sorry if I mention that often, because it really changed my life--and developed more sympathy still. Because, first, I learned that it is mathematically (calorie-wise) very hard to lose weight via one's diet, especially for women. And I also saw that I had spent almost thirty years of my life knowing very little about how to eat properly. I strongly felt that everyone should learn at a younger age what I was taught in those classes.

I also think that a lot of the food we are eating is pure garbage. Not just the giant plates of junk we get in restaurants, but starting with big-agriculture farming methods, which produce foods with low nutritional content.

So if I say something blunt or harsh in a thread about weight, please be assured that it's not meant in a personal way. I'm worried about dietary and obesity problems in the U.S. in general. But that doesn't mean I have bad feelings toward any person in particular. I am anti-fat, but not anti-fat-people.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

I am anti-fat, but not anti-fat-people.
    That is it, summed up in words for me.

Great post, Shinola.

Think of all the time you could have been on the stairmaster instead of typing this.

JK, im a fatty too! yay fatties!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

See? If you have a flaw,own it! Have fun with it!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

You do have courage.

It is more a question of why let something that can be controlled, albeit with much effort, consume your life and possibly cause your death?

While some have hatred for other members for whatever reason, it is rare to see blatant fat hating. In fairness, people on this board insult bag of bones all the time too.

You are correct. No one lives a perfect life, but being morbidly obese just opens more doors for health problems.

I hope you find happiness with yourself, in whichever form you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Rondette View Post
    That is it, summed up in words for me.

Great post, Shinola.
    Just another of my diatribes. And like Grimm was saying ... the irony of sitting on my butt at the computer to type up a buncha stuff about weight isn't lost on me.

Posted from my fucking iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Shinola View Post

I also think that a lot of the food we are eating is pure garbage. Not just the giant plates of junk we get in restaurants, but starting with big-agriculture farming methods, which produce foods with low nutritional content.
    Ain't it the truth,honey! Not to mention pumping cows full of antibiotics & hormones. We all get it from the left and the right.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

^^^

That's one of the reasons I tend to avoid meat. I'm not a rabid veggie by any means, and I think also as a species we weren't supposed to eat nearly as much meat as we do these days. A little here and there, and buy the expensive stuff and enjoy it!

The First World would be a much healthier and thinner place without white flour and high fructose corn syrup. Getting the artificial hormones out of our meat and dairy and pharmaceuticals out of our drinking water would affect our waistlines positively as well.

Obesity for many is not just about calories in/calories out. There are other dynamics at play. The human body has not adapted well to frankenfood and manmade toxins. Maybe in a couple of thousand years - if the human race doesn't destroy itself beforehand.

I agree that most people on this board are very supportive of healthy weight loss and are sympathetic to others' struggles. I don't think I've ever read a rude comment from one member to another about weight.

Hmm... well, many people have already given some great responses here. I'll only add, that just because we may rag on celebs' (and I personally think we're far harsher on those who are too thin than too heavy), doesn't mean we would ever think of harassing or discriminating against heavier people in real life. Sure, some posters here may mock Star Jones or Rosie O'Donnell for being bigger but I can't imagine any of us slamming the door in the face of someone we meet on the street. If anything a wealth of support has been shown to other posters on this site who are struggling with their weight.

Does it really matter - at all - what gets said on a celebrity gossip website? Do you really believe that it speaks to how we behave in the real world? I don't think we're so much "fat-hating" as we are "celeb-mocking" and that takes all kinds and no one is safe.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Good thoughts, but what struck me was the statement that very few fat people enjoy being fat. I've seen several instances where very obese people were on t.v. and they proclaimed that they were 'happy.'

And how many times have we seen instances where celebs take their case to the media and their indignation that people criticize how out of shape they look and whatnot. They say that they are 'happy' with what they look like, who they are, and complain about hollywood pressure to stay thin. People then cheer and applaud them for their "courage," and are deemed "role models." Yet months later these same people then proudly beam on the cover of the celebrity rag about how much weight they lost.

Excuse me? If they were so happy at first, then why do extreme measures to do the exact opposite? Then they go back and gain the weight again and jerk off everyone.

I mention this as a reason why I get so worked up over celebrities and their insane weight issues as it is so predictable.

Myself, I have no issues with overweight people, I used to be almost 200 pounds, a lot considering my short height. I had horrible health issues, joint pain, terrible blood profile, history of heart issues with family, etc. I thought I was happy but I was not, food was what really made me happy, and we all know what kinds. Fast food morning noon and night, junk food, super size me portions, no exercise, etc. I know and mentioned on another post that fat people are perfectly fine to mock in the movies, they are the butt of all jokes, only interested in food.

Please don't jump to conclusions or make generalizations about all of us here. I'm just putting in my two cents here, but you're lumping us all into one category of anti-fat, insensitive meanies... the 'anti-fat brigade' as you've said it. I find that offensive.. just as offensive as you find us 'skinny minnies'.

Some of us here do sympathize with heavy people, a lot more than you may think, especially since some of us have dealt with/are currently dealing with weight and/or eating issues of their own.

I can't say more without making myself totally transparent.. but I do sympathize and understand your frustration. A lot of us deal with our weight in different ways. We fight the same struggle you do.. you just might not be able to see it by looking at us.

I don't have a problem with fat people. I'm still the 'fat girl' inside that I was years ago. Yes, unfortunately in our society it's easier to stigmatize heavy people easier than it is to stigmatize gays or persons of a certain race... that's the reality. You've experienced it just as I'm sure a lot of us here have experienced it. You have to understand, though, that you're making broad and, forgive me, somewhat bitter generalizations about people who might weigh less.. and I hope you can see that that's not healthy.. deal with your own happiness and health instead of dwelling on what others may think. I know it's easier said than done, but ultimately it's about how you see yourself not how others see you. Again, I understand that it's hard in modern-day society to do this.. and your open letter might have been cathartic for you... but please don't write us all off as mean, skinny bitches. It's just as bad as someone calling another person something on the other end of the spectrum.

We're all supportive here... and in regards to whatever post(s) that prompted this, I'm sorry you were offended.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information