Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: An Open Letter

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    I agree with you. I strongly believe that "acting up" about fat people (from anything slightly overweight to the obese with very large bodies) is based in self-lothing and hate. Posters can post stuff against fat people since they can't be racist or sexist, etc. Its the last baston of un-pc prejudice, and its backed by the media, etc.

I think that there are a number of contributing factors:-
    • EVERYONE remembers the fat kid at school and a lot of people don't want to be singled out like that. 97% of people are "joiners" or "sheep" who follow the majority because they don't want to be singled out themselves.
    • I think that there are a number of both very young posters and posters with EDs who have a distored body image.
    Nice post, Novice.

Speaking ONLY for myself here...

Yes, everyone does remember the fat kid. I was the fat kid and all throughout elementary and middle school I was teased so horribly that I became severely depressed by age 12 and never really got over it.

Scars from teasing run deep and I'll probably never get over it. I don't think about it on a daily basis but it's always in the back of my subconscious.

I'm proud to say that I'm not part of that 97%...I would NEVER join in on making someone else feel excluded and/or humiliated...but not everyone is like that. I've always marched to the beat of my own drum.

Also, I am young (sort of...22) and have suffered an ED. When I was 15 I developed anorexia and suffered with it for about two years. Although I had/have a severely distorted body image towards myself I never felt any 'disgust' at other people for how much they weighed. It was all about me, I didn't give a shit if someone was fat or skinny and I wasn't one of those ED people who would openly or in my head criticize overweight people or see myself as 'superior'.

Well, fast forward to my senior year of high school. My weight ballooned up to 195 lbs at 5'5...(which was pretty close to 100 lbs heavier than when I was suffering my ED) and I literally had NO idea I'd gotten so big. I mean, I know I gained a lot of weight but when I looked in the mirror I saw someone thinner than what I actually was (whereas when I was anorexic I saw someone fatter) so it took me actually seeing graduation pictures for me to REALLY see.

I mean, I've been on both spectrums of the scale. I've been skinny to the point where I could have been hospitalized and extremely overweight for my height. I don't judge people based on their weight and never have even though I have suffered an ED that is still with me.

I'm not bashing on you novice because I agree completely with your post I'm just saying not all young and/or ED sufferers think like that!

The brain doesn't need blood. It just needs to be kept wet.

Thanks for sharing this with us Jenny - I'm glad that you didn't think that I thought that ALL our young posters wish to "conform" as I do know its not correct. Nor is this limited to our younger posters.

I'm also 100lb heavier that I once was, and I do know how I've got here, and its due to pain issues, to the extreme that it used to hurt even to walk, but our fat-natzi don't want to think about that.
    Everyone has a reason, whether they're obese or anorexic; the majority of us, I am sure, are more than a 1-dimentional person.

I wish you continued sucess with your recovery Jenny
    Last edited by Novice; January 26th, 2009 at 12:15 PM.
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    If someone calls you fat and it's the truth then I see little point in getting offended by it. And if you ARE offended by it then claiming you are a happy fatty is obviously untrue. I'm sorry but in my experience inside every fat person there's a thin one desperately trying to get out. The "I'm OK with being fat" stuff is a defence mechanism to avoid the harsh truth that fatties really don't like themselves very much at all.

Anything that includes the phrase"everyone does" is an obvious fallacy.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Anything that includes the phrase"everyone does" is an obvious fallacy.
    Everyone knows that.

Sorry, just had to.
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

"Trump is, in my opinion, the first woman president of the United States." -- Roseanne Barr

god

so many manifestos hammered out with deal breaking fingers.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

**considers smacking twitchy, but decides to wait until she feels better**
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

*considers hawking a gob of phlegm on Greysfang but decides that the half hour of wheezing to follow wouldn't be worth it right now*
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

"Trump is, in my opinion, the first woman president of the United States." -- Roseanne Barr

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    I agree with you. I strongly believe that "acting up" about fat people (from anything slightly overweight to the obese with very large bodies) is based in self-lothing and hate. Posters can post stuff against fat people since they can't be racist or sexist, etc. Its the last baston of un-pc prejudice, and its backed by the media, etc.

I think that there are a number of contributing factors:-
    • This is an anonymous message board, people can spew their hate & disgust and there are no repercussions irl for them. Its cowardly but a fact of life, people are like that (Anyone who has worked in a call center will know this).
    • EVERYONE remembers the fat kid at school and a lot of people don't want to be singled out like that. 97% of people are "joiners" or "sheep" who follow the majority because they don't want to be singled out themselves.
    • I think that there are a number of both very young posters and posters with EDs who have a distored body image.
    • I think that a some people are actually lacking in the skills to understand the reasons behind "fat" which can be very complex.
    • I think that a number of posters who fall into this catagory have never had to struggle with anything or have ever had a hard time about anything - well, maybe they broke a nail or two or have the wrong basecoat applied... but nothing more.
    • With the media pushing photos of celebrities with underweight/boardline bodies, the more that is seen the more that this is the "norm", so that even a "normal" weight body can look heavy in comparison.
    I agree with the poster that says its rubbish that its about health, as if any poster has said of a thin person "they need to eat more/exercise/do less blow" (yes, it does happen but rarely). Body-types are different and hold weight & fat differently, we rarely see photos of "stocky" actresses, celebrities, they're not a representive cross section of society so we get used to seeing half starves inactive coke fiends and think this is normal.

At the end of the day, I know that no-one is going to change thier posting habits from anything that I'd said, and I read certains people's comments and think to myself - I'd rather be fat than stupid, because at least I can change.

Valley Doll, yes, there is a lot of Fat-Natzis around here, however there are also other people that have or are struggling with their weight, so ignore the ignorant comments.
    Don't let the idiots grind you down, be healthy and check out the logs section as there are also a lot of nice supportive people here too.

And in reflection, I'd rather be fat than stupid, because I can change but they will always be stupid.
    WORD! excellent post, novice...you say it much more eloquently than i could have.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    god

so many manifestos hammered out with deal breaking fingers.
    *smacks Grim upside the head with my stubby, sausage-like fingers*
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

*karate chops Grimm in the throat with my powerful cankles*
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

well the difference between being a racist or homophobe and being a fatist is that fatties do choose to be fat so its sorta different. although Michael Jackson is a Black pedophile who chooses to be a White woman so.....go figure damnit!

well im off to McDonalds, gotta love that dollar menu!

Thanks for the nightmares Alice.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Actually Alice that is, how can I put this politely? Complete bollocks, not only at a concious level (ooh today I'm going to be inactivd and become obese) but I saw a program on tv tonight that detailed a university study that found that people's bodies react differently to food and specifically said that loosing weight isn't just about less calories and more exercise.

For example, if one has been starving they found that even with regular food one's BRAIN still had 'starving' activity. They were doing brain scans & everything.

And I think that you'll find that homophobe or racist is also a changable belief. So your argument really doesn't hold up under scrutiny, does it.

And those pics are disgusting
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

Was that on BBC2? I was gonna watch it if so

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

yeah but novice you can still do things to not be obese or fat or whatever your size right?! via surgery, training yourself to change, whatever but if you're born gay or asian you can't change that to a degree....i use michael jackson as the one example of changing your race though

p.s. im not trying to be callous or anything ....

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread Information