Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: An Open Letter

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

I don't think anyone here means to be mean either and if I've personally offended anyone; im sorry. i know i have before and even to the very few members I don't like, im sorry to you too b/c honestly hurting ppl's feeling doesn't make me feel good.

OP: Brilliant post. People are judgemental, but most will probably gain weight and then they'll see it from the other side. People will post talking about 'health', but if it was about health, they'd advise slim/skinny people to exercise and eat right too.

I'm losing weight (Gone from 200lbs to 147lbs), so if you want support or advice, PM me.
    I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and sky...

^^

Last edited by cynic; January 19th, 2009 at 03:58 PM. Reason: oops, I meant in response to Alice's Big Whopper

^ wow congrats! i've lost +30lbs before too thats why i feel ok about giving my two cents in on some of these threads b/c i've actually done it and have maintained a healthy body for aoubt 3-4years now.

p.s. i think keeley shaye smith is a beautiful woman

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    huh?? did you read that thread?? i only read a few pages of it but keely shaye inspired a lot of vitriol.

anyway, back to the OP . . . i didn't think the maternity ward door thread was that bad, not sure which one is the ob/gyn thread, but the mri thread had some brutal comments. would i get upset about them if i were overweight? i don't know. but if i knew i would, i probably wouldn't go to that thread. or maybe i would make a comment in that thread. but to pen an 'open letter' about some posters or comments without citing specific cases doesn't make sense to me. if your point is to educate, then make a comment in the specific thread. ow, the open-letter just sounds like wahwah to me.
    Then I should probably avoid that thread? Because last I remember, it was a virtual dog pile on the rabbit if anyone dared make fun of Keely (Kaylee, whatever, I can never remember her name...)

FWIW, I responded to the original post. No link was provided, so I assumed the original poster was admonishing us calling fat people "fat" and making fun of each and every one of them because they're fat. And that ain't what we do here. Oh, sure, some people have ass-backward opinions about obesity (and being overweight), but for every ass-backward opinion that is expressed, there are at least two or three to negate it. If that makes sense? Maybe not.
    Bringin' up old shit since 1998.

I understand where you are coming from, and I see the same type of comments about really thin celebrities. If someone is as you say "Really big" people are going to have something to say, if someone is really thin, or hell thin in general people will have something to say. People will ALWAYS have something to say, I hope none of it offended you, if you are proud and happy with yourself, who cares what anyone has to say.

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

No matter what anyone says, it's almost always going to offend/hurt/piss off someone reading it. You can't please everybody, and it's best to remember that everyone is entitled to their opinion, no matter how ignorant it might be. Unless a post is directed toward you personally, just let it roll off your back. An anonymous internet poster can't change your opinion about things you feel strongly about, and vice versa. If someone wants to rag on a celeb for being obese,they're allowed to. After all, we pickon them for everything else.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

czb

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas_Munro View Post
    Then I should probably avoid that thread? Because last I remember, it was a virtual dog pile on the rabbit if anyone dared make fun of Keely (Kaylee, whatever, I can never remember her name...)

FWIW, I responded to the original post. No link was provided, so I assumed the original poster was admonishing us calling fat people "fat" and making fun of each and every one of them because they're fat. And that ain't what we do here. Oh, sure, some people have ass-backward opinions about obesity (and being overweight), but for every ass-backward opinion that is expressed, there are at least two or three to negate it. If that makes sense? Maybe not.
    the way i remember the thread, there were some who thought that keely was just having fun, frolicking in the surf. then there were many who said she was a cow, blocked the sun, etc. wasn't too nice.

i think you and i made the same assumptions about the original post but since no specific comments were cited, i am not so sure. it is just an assumption. and without citing specific comments, not sure what is the point of the open letter, other than to get a lot of people (who are probably not guilty) to say things like "i'm sorry if i offended you".

lol @ blocked the sun

fat bitch!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^ That's what I was thinking! Haha

you know, i think when ppl act out against fat ppl they're acting out against themselves for being that way too presently or once in their lifetime and those who are thin feel like its one thing they can put someone whos not down for. i kno i was always mad/disapointed in myself for gaining 30-40 lbs. too much. its something i dont even plan on letting happen again though.

^Acting out against fat people? people are reading far to much into that thread...considering the title is about obese people needing doors widened...

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    you know, i think when ppl act out against fat ppl they're acting out against themselves for being that way too presently or once in their lifetime and those who are thin feel like its one thing they can put someone whos not down for. i kno i was always mad/disapointed in myself for gaining 30-40 lbs. too much. its something i dont even plan on letting happen again though.
    I agree with you. I strongly believe that "acting up" about fat people (from anything slightly overweight to the obese with very large bodies) is based in self-lothing and hate. Posters can post stuff against fat people since they can't be racist or sexist, etc. Its the last baston of un-pc prejudice, and its backed by the media, etc.

I think that there are a number of contributing factors:-
    • This is an anonymous message board, people can spew their hate & disgust and there are no repercussions irl for them. Its cowardly but a fact of life, people are like that (Anyone who has worked in a call center will know this).
    • EVERYONE remembers the fat kid at school and a lot of people don't want to be singled out like that. 97% of people are "joiners" or "sheep" who follow the majority because they don't want to be singled out themselves.
    • I think that there are a number of both very young posters and posters with EDs who have a distored body image.
    • I think that a some people are actually lacking in the skills to understand the reasons behind "fat" which can be very complex.
    • I think that a number of posters who fall into this catagory have never had to struggle with anything or have ever had a hard time about anything - well, maybe they broke a nail or two or have the wrong basecoat applied... but nothing more.
    • With the media pushing photos of celebrities with underweight/boardline bodies, the more that is seen the more that this is the "norm", so that even a "normal" weight body can look heavy in comparison.
    I agree with the poster that says its rubbish that its about health, as if any poster has said of a thin person "they need to eat more/exercise/do less blow" (yes, it does happen but rarely). Body-types are different and hold weight & fat differently, we rarely see photos of "stocky" actresses, celebrities, they're not a representive cross section of society so we get used to seeing half starves inactive coke fiends and think this is normal.

At the end of the day, I know that no-one is going to change thier posting habits from anything that I'd said, and I read certains people's comments and think to myself - I'd rather be fat than stupid, because at least I can change.

Valley Doll, yes, there is a lot of Fat-Natzis around here, however there are also other people that have or are struggling with their weight, so ignore the ignorant comments.
    Don't let the idiots grind you down, be healthy and check out the logs section as there are also a lot of nice supportive people here too.

And in reflection, I'd rather be fat than stupid, because I can change but they will always be stupid.
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

That was an excellent post, Novice.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    At the end of the day, I know that no-one is going to change thier posting habits from anything that I'd said, and I read certains people's comments and think to myself - I'd rather be fat than stupid, because at least I can change.
    Ain't that the truth.

Hey, some people just like the drama and attention they get from arguing on the internet. The trouble is, some don't understand the difference between being controversial, and being plain ignorant.

Don't get me wrong, sometimes it's entertaining, but sometimes it also gets to the point where it's best to skip over it, sit on your hands, or step away from the computer.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread Information