Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nikki Blonsky doesn't care what people think

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    No, I get it, in the real world I would never call someone "obese" to their face, it's totally impolite to do so. And usually I'm not the type to even give a fuck, and I definitely don't want anyone to get a bitch vibe from my posts. But the media has sometimes gone overly PC on this subject, almost promoting being happy with obesity and "being true to yourself" as a way not to work out your issues with food. And I get this, I have issues with food and for me to maintain my weight is a constant struggle, it's not easy for me whatsoever. I can totally sympathize with heavier people because for some of us it doesn't come easy, unfortunately. But lately I've seen a whole array of articles lately praising "curvy" women for loving who they are, and these aren't overweight women, these are obese women. To me, it's a big difference. Nikki's costar, the Hoff's daughter, is adorable and overweight. I'm all for loving yourself, but I can't wrap my head around loving yourself and making supremely unhealthy decisions that are detrimental to your health. Does that make sense? How is that loving yourself? I don't look at overweight people and ever judge because being overweight doesn't necessarily qualify you as being unhealthy anymore than being skinny means you're somehow healthy. Who the fuck knows. But being obese (to me) is different, I just couldn't imagine being happy being stuck in that type of lifestyle -it's far past having a tummy or chubby arms. I also wouldn't say that someone whose bones are sticking out of their skin and are so skinny you can see the bones in their back is something to promote, either. And I've seen your pics, you aren't even close to this girl, stop it! I don't know, I'm just sick lately of all the articles that seem to almost be promoting obesity. It seems as if they are either promoting obesity or anorexia - why not find nice looking normal people that fall within the middle?
    I don't think she's saying that making unhealthy eating choices is loving yourself, it's loving who you are as a person in spite of your faults. It's easy for us to sit here and say she should lose weight, she shouldn't say things that seem to promote obesity, etc. But as we all know it's easier said than done. Obviously she's either not trying to lose weight or she has tried but failed. I liken it to other deeply entrenched bad habits that are hard to break, like smoking. Yes smokers know the risks and many would like to quit but have tried over and over again only to fail each time; at some point they feel like "you know what, this is part of who I am (right now or all my life), I'm sick of failure and I'm sick of apologizing for it." It's that hard to break out of the bad habit. Of course it's unhealthy but like she said, there are much worse things a person could be than fat or a smoker. [And btw I don't really agree with the "proud and happy to be fat" articles either, but I think some measure of self-acceptance is more productive than living in constant self-loathing.]

Anyway, I don't see the "curvy" v. "obese" problem going away because it simply sounds like an insult to print something like "obese 'Huge' star Nikki Blonsky talks about her new show." Technically correct but it sounds just as impolite in print as it does in person and in this case I think that's the reason for the "curvy" wording. I guess the word doesn't bother me because her size is obvious, the word "curvy" is not fooling anybody including her, you know?

*gawd this was long, sorry about the fatifesto...

Love a good fatifesto!!

Perhaps they could have just left the curvy part out. It would be equally rude to put "walking skeleton 'Salt' actress Angelina Jolie takes about her rainbow collection". I think it would have spoken for itself to say 'Huge' star Nikki Blonsky
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

That was a good post, B. And I do absolutely agree that some measure of self-acceptance is better than constant self-loathing, like you said. It is very hard to lose weight and to maintain it steadily, I know this and I feel for people who try and try and just can't do it. And it does irritate me when we idolize skinny stars who come right out and say "I starve myself to look this way." That's not healthy either and takes a huge toll on your heart! Sigh.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

She is not obese. She is morbidly obese and most likely pushing 300lbs.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    She is not obese. She is morbidly obese and most likely pushing 300lbs.
    I wouldn't say she's close to 300 pounds. She's only 4'10", she's probably close to 200 at that height.

Didn't realize she was that short. I would still say she is well over 200 lbs though.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Nah, I'm 8 inches taller than her and creeping over 200, and visually, I'm still not as big as she is. At 4'10" I'd put her at 180-190. Which is a lot of weight for that height.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information