Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Miss Universe Australia contestant deemed malnourished by doctors

Wha she looks really skinny ... that's kind of odd because I'm as tall as she is and I only weigh 6 more kilos and I'm (hopefully) far from looking that skinny. (well of course I'm not photoshopped in my everyday life )

However I can't understand the "problem" => this girl was deemed healthy enough to compete and now, she's said to be malnourished ... I mean the real problem is the guys who let her compete, there's no way they could not have found her "healthy" or just "thin"
    (Of course I don't want to deny he fact that she obviously has an eating problem, but that's not my point here)
    And I can't believe some moron said something about good genes and Macedonian inheritage or whatsoever ... Like people can be "naturally" this skinny ... they reaaaaally think we're idiots.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

No role model: Miss Universe pageant attacked over 'malnourished' beauty queen

By Richard Shears
    Last updated at 4:28 PM on 24th April 2009
    She was hoping to represent her country in the Miss Universe contest, and she certainly had a figure that turned heads.

Unfortunately for Stephanie Naumoska, and to the consternation of health experts, it was for all the wrong reasons.

Critics said the 19-year-old was just skin and bone. With her 31-25-35 measurements she seemed to have trouble filling her already skimpy bikini as she paraded before the judges at the Australian finals of the pageant in Sydney.

Enlarge
    Enlarge

Stephanie Naumoska in the Australia finals of the Miss Universe contest: Her ribs and hip bones are clearly visible

Enlarge The model (centre) poses with other contestants

She was tall enough - at 5ft 10in - to be the perfect height for a model but what has alarmed health experts is her weight.

She weighs only 7st 7lb and has a Body Mass Index of 15.1 - and that, by World Health Organisation standards, means she is malnourished.

Her BMI should be between 18.5 and 24.9 to fall into the 'average' category.
    When the pageant organisers were asked why they had allowed Miss Naumoska to parade before the cameras when her ribs and pelvic bones could be seen protruding alarmingly, an official reply was that her look was all to do with her heritage.

'She's Macedonian,' said one official.

But a spectator at the event at the Hilton Hotel commented: 'Side on, if you didn't look carefully enough, you could miss her - she was that thin.'

Dieticians urged the Sydney model to seek urgent medical attention because she was dangerously underweight.

Enlarge Healthy? Miss Naumoska, seen here in a photoshoot, claims she eats well and is not unhealthy

Health expert Melanie McGrice said she was well under the World Health Organisation benchmark for malnutrition and added: 'I would certainly want to be doing an assessment of her diet to make sure she doesn't have some type of eating disorder.'

She said Miss Naumoska needed urgent blood tests, diet analysis and a general body assessment.

Even Australian politicians have joined in the debate.

More...
    Carmel Tebutt, the acting premier of New South Wales, said that allowing her to enter the contest when she looked so disturbingly thin sent the wrong message to young women who looked up to glamorous models.

'The main thing is to encourage girls and young women to put health before thinking about trying to fit into a particular type of body image,' she said.
    The Australian Medical Association called on pageant organisers to impose a minimum Body Mass Index of 20.
    Enlarge
    Enlarge

In this swimwear shoot, the model appears less bony and a healthier weight
    But officials said too much emphasis was being placed on Miss Naumoska's lifestyle rather than her ethnic background.

Deborah Miller, director of the contest, said the model blamed her Macedonian heritage for her thin appearance.

'The women do have long, lithe bodies and small bones,' she said. 'It's their body type, just as Asian girls tend to be rather small.

'She doesn't have an eating disorder or anything like that. There's nothing wrong with her.'

But nutritionist Susie Burrell said: 'Macedonian body? I've not seen anything like that anywhere to support that.

'What I see in the photos is muscle wastage on the upper arm and legs.'

Miss Naumoska was beaten in the final by 21-year-old TV presenter and model Rachel Finch, who at 5ft 9in and measuring 34-24-34 appeared to have just a little more flesh than her skinny rival.
    Winner: Rachael Finch beat Miss Naumoska to be crowed Miss Universe in the Australian leg of the contest

No role model: Miss Universe pageant attacked over 'malnourished' beauty queen | Mail Online

To be fair she doesn't look that different from all those other models in that 'red bikini' picture.

I'm not saying she looks good...I'm the same height as her and weigh A HELL OF A LOT MORE than her (by about 50 pounds!!) and I look normal/healthy....she looks like a bag of antlers.

ETA-Thinking about it though...I work with a girl who is my height and very skinny, I don't think she has any eating disorders or the like, it's just how she is. Meh, we're all different I suppose!
    Last edited by Rondette; April 24th, 2009 at 10:57 AM.

For what its worth, I found her profile on a modeling site, and it said she weighed 118 lbs. and was 5'11. ETA: and her second modeling profile has her as weighing 121 lbs. So I don't know if this article fudged her height/weight or if she lost 10-20 lbs for the pageant.

Those photos from the article Rondette posted are from the modeling site, and she looks much more healthy in them.

Um… her arms look like ETs arms. And I really like that by the end of the interview she’s the only one eating.

[youtube]fkjr2H_lMEw[/youtube]
    "Well isn't that special"

She has gorgeous hair.

Perhaps she is naturally that skinny and has no ED at all. But I think it's a sticky situation to put someone as underweight as her in a pageant where she will become an icon for the anas and an ideal body type for young girls.

uh.. yea.. that's pretty fucking malnourished.

Elite Member

Perhaps she is naturally that skinny and has no ED at all. But I think it's a sticky situation to put someone as underweight as her in a pageant where she will become an icon for the anas and an ideal body type for young girls.
    This is my take too. Whether she's that skinny naturally or not doesn't really matter. She's not a good fit for the pageant. I take it with a grain of salt, but Miss Universe is supposed to represent an all-around ideal and be a role model. Just like some women won't make it into the pageant because they're too heavy, some won't because they're too thin - like this girl.

She may be fine for modeling, but technically, a model isn't supposed to be an ideal. A model is supposed to have a body that wears sample clothes well.

She's full of shit. There is a difference between being skinny and looking like death.

The sad thing is, if she got implants everyone would be saying how great she looks. I've seen girls as skinny as her in Hollywood with bolt-ons and suddenly they've gone from being anorexic to being desirable. Like its okay to be malnourished as long as your boobies are big. Honestly, think of her with some bolt-ons like Giselle, how do they look different?
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by Rondette View Post
    To be fair she doesn't look that different from all those other models in that 'red bikini' picture.
    I disagree. I think the other women pictured look slender and toned. Miss Universe Australia looks malnourished and sickly.

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    The sad thing is, if she got implants everyone would be saying how great she looks. I've seen girls as skinny as her in Hollywood with bolt-ons and suddenly they've gone from being anorexic to being desirable. Like its okay to be malnourished as long as your boobies are big. Honestly, think of her with some bolt-ons like Giselle, how do they look different?
    Very true

It's disturbing that she made it as far as she did and no one noticed before now. She looks extremely anorexic. This was the best Australia had to offer for the Miss Universe Pageant?

What-fucking-ever. If people really cared about promoting "all kinds" of body types in beauty contests and modelling and blah blah, they might bother to notice that everyone in these pageants is at least on the tall side of average height. Where are all the short girls? If they're so obsessed with realism and variety, they should stop and think "Hang on, not every woman is 5'8" or more..."

It just looks absurd to me, when people carry on about whether or not models/beauty contestants are portraying unrealistic beauty ideals by being possibly too skinny - yet (by their logic) the industry is also portraying of tallness as the norm, the standard for attractiveness... and the whingers are totally okay with that! Hypocrites.

At the end of the day, it's not about protecting young girls' self-esteem, or realistic beauty, or even health. Again, if it was about those things, you wouldn't see people cooing over plus-size models who are as overweight as some models are underweight, or holding tanned skin (and the melanomas that come with it) out as an ideal for white Westerners. It's the media being sensationalist and people jumping on the bandwagon to make themselves feel good by being all "Eww!" about someone else, or simply complaining just for the sake of complaining.

If a lone model/beauty contestant wants to starve herself, let her. No one is going to look at that and think "I want to look like her!" unless they already have a problem.

Bronze Member

Just to clarify she did NOT win and is NOT the representative of Australia she was just a contender. Rachel Finch was the one that was crowned whose pic is at the bottom of Rondette's post.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information