Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Meat Loaf (Michael Lee Aday) bans photographers on his UK tour due to weight gain

His real first name is Marvin...lol!
    Love ya,
    Dara

^ How he came up with his stage name? Went to a dinner, close his eyes, put the finger on the menu and said: "Meat loaf! That's my name starting from now. Oh, and I want a bowl of soup, thank you"?

MEAT LOAF
    He was born Marvin Lee Aday in Dallas, Texas, but was dubbed Meat Loaf at the tender age of nine months. His first inkling that he might have something special came when he was selected for a role as comic relief in a high-school musical. More than 50 million albums later, The Artist Formally Known As "Mr. Loaf" to The New York Times is a very busy man...beginning with the November, 1998 release of a spectacular two-CD set, The Very Best Of Meat Loaf, on Epic Records.

This 18-song collection contains every major Meat Loaf hit since his 1977 landmark Epic debut album, Bat Out Of Hell -- from "Two Out of Three Ain't Bad" and "Paradise By The Dashboard Light" to '90s favorites like "Objects In The Rearview Mirror" and "Rock 'N' Roll Dreams Come Through."
    In addition, The Very Best Of Meat Loaf features three brand-new tracks that rank with the singer's best work. "Home By Now/No Matter What" was composed by Andrew Lloyd Webber with Lyrics by Jim Steinman and produced by Steinman. Meat Loaf calls this track "absolutely brilliant. It may turn out to be my favorite song I've ever done." "Is Nothing Sacred," composed by Steinman and produced by Russ Titelman, "has the potential of being really great," avers the singer. "The way I see performing it, it's the kind of thing you'd talk about down at the water cooler the next day."
    Finally, there's "A Kiss is a Terrible Thing to Waste," another Andrew Lloyd Webber/Jim Steinman collaboration from the musical production Whistle Down The Wind, currently playing in London's West End. "This is the ultimate," Meat Loaf says simply. "If you're gonna reach a pinnacle in over-the-top, this is it."
    Meat Loaf knows a little something about over-the-top. Bat Out Of Hell ranks among the top five best-selling albums in history: 30 million copies worldwide, 16 million in the US alone. Over the course of his career, Meat Loaf has sold over 50 million albums and won a 1993 Best Rock Vocal Grammy for the hit, "I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)." The latter track came from Meat Loaf's first No. 1 album, Bat Out Of Hell II, a 5X-platinum seller; it was followed, in 1995, by another platinum album, Welcome To The Neighborhood.
    Yet, despite this amazing success, a modest Meat Loaf claims that "in the music business, I'm a blue-collar worker. That's what I am. I take the work very seriously, but I don't take what I do seriously. I'm not a necessity: Mothers, teachers and people who heal are."
    In fact, the man is a positive anti-diva in his approach to work, in both the recording studio and the soundstage. "I bring someone who's easy to work with, not temperamental, will be the first one there, do the work until it's done well, will always be prepared. People accuse me of over-preparing, but you can't over-prepare. You're hard-pressed to get me into a fight. I'm a win-win kind of person."
    At this writing, Meat Loaf is completing his role as a one-time bodybuilder battling cancer in The Fight Club. Costarring Brad Pitt and Edward Norton, the David Fincher-directed film is a long way from Meat Loaf's l 975 big-screen debut in The Rocky Horror Picture Show. But then, Meat (as he's known to his friends) refuses to accept being stereotyped. "I've never been a narrow human being," he points out, "in size or scope or anything else, and never will be."
    At the rate he's going, Meat Loaf is a shoo-in for the title of Hardest Working Man in Show Business. He has four other films already in the can, including Crazy in Alabama, Antonio Banderas' directorial debut, starring Melanie Griffith and Rod Steiger; Black Dog, with Patrick Swayze; Outside Ozona, with Kevin Pollack, Penelope Ann Miller and Sherilyn Fenn, and Gun Shy with Diane Lane.
    His schedule would be enough to drive lesser beings off the deep end, but Meat Loaf credits his early football training with giving him the guidelines for his multifaceted career. He says it's all about "the mental focus you put in and what intensity you bring to it. I take to rock and roll the kind of energy you'd take to a football game. I'm in the moment. I've sung 'Bat Out of Hell' thousands of times, but every time is the first time."
    "I've always been condemned, almost, by the rock press for being an actor, 'cause actors don't make records," he recalls without rancor. "But Jim Steinman's songs are character-driven; he comes from theater, I come from theater. I've never been in most of the situations I sing about, but neither are actors in the things they do on-screen. I'm from the Michael Caine school: When you see me on the screen, I don't want you to see me, I want you to see yourself. I want you to see you inside that song."
    When it comes to his music, though, Meat insists that he's "selfish. I don't make records for other people. I can make records that other people can enjoy, but I have to make records for me first. If somebody happens to like it, then it's a plus. We've always kept it real." In support of The Very Best Of Meat Loaf, the singer is planning an eight-week European tour in the spring of 1999. But he's still uncertain about when he'll take his act on the road in the States. "As intoxicating as playing live for people is, being away from home is tough," says Meat the family man, who's been married for 23 years and has two daughters, ages 17 and 23. One of his proudest accomplishments is how the kids have turned out. "Any time you're in a show biz family, you have a weird life," he notes, "but my girls are pretty grounded." As an artist who's carved out a niche for himself in one of the most fickle fields in the world, Meat Loaf knows that his career has been sustained by fans, not critics. "They say don't look back in anger and I'm not angry at anyone," he avers. "I've never had to drive a cab, or be a waiter. I've met a lot of people, had some fun, made some money, and it's not over. I'm not satisfied. I look back at 30 years and I see some good work and I see some work that needs improving. Anyway, I don't look back--l'm always looking forward."

Meatloaf

Hit By Ban Bus!

how the eff do you actually go through life NOT being fat with a nickname like 'meatloaf' for goodness sakes!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information