Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: London Fashion Week stylist quits over designer Mark Fast's using UK size 14 models

Makes the skinny models look even more ridiculous.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Good for him! Afterall it's us normal sized women who buy clothes

I wish there was a middle ground-it seems fashion designers either use the very skinny or the plus-sized models. I too miss the models of the 90s-they were thin, but still shapely.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

I remember a season or two ago on Project Runway one of the designers (who lost a challenge and got eliminated for an ill-fitting dress) had a model who was like, a size 6. And made a whiny point about it being unfair (or not feeling like it was taken into consideration) her having to design around a "larger" size. Like the model was frikin obscenely huge on account of being a whole size six!

This damned broad was 6ft easy. And by no stretch of the imagination someone you'd think to call a "big girl" or a "larger model". Maybe if you put her next to one of the typical ones who look like they're about to fall out and need an IV pole, stat.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Elite Member

Well, I don't care if runway models are skinny, they're like pieces of art. Runway fashion is over-the-top, stylistic, avant-garde - most of the time nothing a regular everyday woman would wear. I enjoy looking at high fashion just for the creativity aspect.

However, in print ads for mainstream magazines aimed at women interested in clothes, like In Style, I would appreciate it if the models were size 4 or 6 US, and I really wouldn't mind if they went up to size 10 US. It would be nice to see what the clothes look like on someone who's not thin as a rail. It's so frustrating to me to shop and try on clothes and to feel fat because what I see reflected in the mirror is not what I see in the magazines.

For instance, I have nice muscular calves, not fat, no cankles or anything. I was in Martin and Osa last winter and saw a large picture of a model in the store wearing these great boots. On her there was a lot of room between the top of the boot and her calf. On me, I could not get the boot zipped up. So I am looking at a picture of a woman who is wearing boots that are loose on her legs, and I feel incredibly fat. That doesn't make me want to buy the boots at all

A piece of art is not a malnourished girl, in my opinion. Even in an 'extreme' business like fashion there is room (pun not intended) for healthier models. Whether the deathly ill look captures their vision more accurately or not, the whole industry should take some responsibility for what size 00 models promote, other than a designer label. It's not a case of shifting completely to 'plus size' (whatever the hell that means these days), at least to me, but just plain healthier. I know plenty of slim girls who have killer figures through eating healthy and exercising to maintain their weight. Off the top of my head I can think of my housemate, who has 36-28-38 measurements and her body is just smokin'. She is not anywhere near 'fat', she's toned and looks great for it. She'd look awesome on the catwalk, not these obviously ill stick figures.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

They designed clothes that fit the 90's supermodels, it's not some impossible fucking task
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by levitt View Post
    A piece of art is not a malnourished girl, in my opinion. Even in an 'extreme' business like fashion there is room (pun not intended) for healthier models. Whether the deathly ill look captures their vision more accurately or not, the whole industry should take some responsibility for what size 00 models promote, other than a designer label. It's not a case of shifting completely to 'plus size' (whatever the hell that means these days), at least to me, but just plain healthier. I know plenty of slim girls who have killer figures through eating healthy and exercising to maintain their weight. Off the top of my head I can think of my housemate, who has 36-28-38 measurements and her body is just smokin'. She is not anywhere near 'fat', she's toned and looks great for it. She'd look awesome on the catwalk, not these obviously ill stick figures.
    I'm all for the models looking like a piece of art, but apparently the artist in question is Alberto Giacometti:

Quote Originally Posted by TaffyMoon View Post
    The stylist should be named and shamed.
    Good news- she finally has been! Her name is Erika Kurihara, editor of i-D magazine.

Designer sacks stylist who said: Bigger girls just don’t walk right

Ellen Widdup

Designer Mark Fast and his stylist have fallen out over a decision to feature “plus size” models at London Fashion Week.
    The 28-year-old Canadian famed for his figure-hugging mini-dresses, claims Erika Kurihara disapproved of him putting three size 12 to 14 models on the catwalk, a rebuttal to critics who have accused him of creating clothes only for the very thin.

He said the pair disagreed over his “vision” and that he asked her to leave after they had an argument backstage at yesterday's show.

But today Miss Kurihara, who was employed on a freelance basis, hit back, claiming she was strongly in favour of diversity and “profoundly disappointed” that gossip had been reported as fact.

She accepted she had rowed with the designer but said it was because the larger models did not have the right walk and not because of their size.

“Two of the bigger girls, although their faces were beautiful and their bodies beautiful, did not have the right walk for the catwalk,” she said. “The walk is very important and I wasn't happy. Mark was very upset that I didn't share his vision, as he saw it, so he asked me to leave.”

She said Fast had failed to embrace diversity by introducing the larger models because they were all white.

“I find that strange if you are celebrating diversity,” she added.

Amanda May, managing director for Fast, said there were “creative differences with regards to the casting of those girls” from the outset.

She said Kurihara was not the only team member asked to leave in a dispute over the choice of models and that Fast had also sacked his casting director at the last minute.
    Designer sacks stylist who said: Bigger girls just don’t walk right | News

Typical diversion. She gets criticized for being against the larger models, so she comes back with a racism charge.

Anyway, here's the stylist:

erika kurihara via dear nike

Lastly, a bit more info about the 3 models he used:
    Gwyneth Harrison: 5'11, 34C-29-40

Hayley Morley: 5'9, 34D-29-41

Laura Catterall: 5'9, 34E-29-41

bitch isn't that thin herself, she could stand to lose a few
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^Well, the fashion world is notoriously racist, so I see her point. A few chubby white chicks do not 'diversity' make.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Hit By Ban Bus!

Skinny, fat, regular, praying mantis chicks... I don't care anymore:

1) Why is there a weight debate, while there's never a HEIGHT one? It's not even the catwalk (which I always see as human hangers exhibiting clothes) ; regular clothes rarely fit a shorter girl properly. I'm 5'4" and always have to adjust my clothing. Show the shorties some love.

2) ALL of those models look butt-ugly and scary wearing that makeup; it looks like they're in their deathbeds with a liver condition.

That Hayley girl is gorgeous, I'd love to be as sexy as her

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora View Post

1) Why is there a weight debate, while there's never a HEIGHT one? It's not even the catwalk (which I always see as human hangers exhibiting clothes) ; regular clothes rarely fit a shorter girl properly. I'm 5'4" and always have to adjust my clothing. Show the shorties some love.

2) ALL of those models look butt-ugly and scary wearing that makeup; it looks like they're in their deathbeds with a liver condition.
    I'm 5'8 and I have problems too. I guess you have to be 5'5 or 5'6 to fit clothes properly
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora View Post

Exactly what I've been saying and thinking for years! Thank you!

I'm just under 5'2". It's ridiculous. While everyone's jumping on the plus size production love, how about you make more clothes for us shorties?! Preferably modelled by people who are actually short - you have to be 5'6" or taller to be a "petite" model.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information