Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: London Fashion Week stylist quits over designer Mark Fast's using UK size 14 models

Those are the skinniest fat chicks I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey Normal View Post
    The size UK 12/14 models look very similar to some of the "supermodels" of the 80's and 90's. Sigh...miss those days. Now the models all are interchangeable and look like praying mantis.
    You and me both.
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

The size UK 12/14 models look very similar to some of the "supermodels" of the 80's and 90's. Sigh...miss those days. Now the models all are interchangeable and look like praying mantis.
    I believe that an 80s supermodel would have been a UK8-UK10 (at the most) A UK 14 is a 38" hip, a 12 is 36.... so a 10 would be 34.

And the supers that are still working today say that they can't fit into "sample" sizes any more..... Its so sad.

For example.....
    NAME: Christy Turlington
    NATIONALITY: American
    HEIGHT: 5'10"
    MEASUREMENTS: 34-23-34

NAME: Linda Evangelista
    NATIONALITY: Canadian with Italian background.
    HEIGHT: 5'9.5"
    MEASUREMENTS: 34.5-25-35

NAME: Shalom Harlow
    HEIGHT: 5'11"
    MEASUREMENTS: 33A-23-34

NAME: Claudia Schiffer
    NATIONALITY: German
    HEIGHT: 5'11"
    MEASUREMENTS: 36C-24-35

There's always that bullshit, "You got to be skinny so you'll fit the sample sizes", can't they make bigger sample sizes?

I don't know about you but seeing a skinny fetus with a dazed look on her face doesn't make me want to buy clothes, a healthy "normal" woman (aka someone more like me) on the other hand.
    "Well isn't that special"

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    There's always that bullshit, "You got to be skinny so you'll fit the sample sizes", can't they make bigger sample sizes?
    Sample sizes are made to initally fit models for buyers to buy from. I think that what was said that they're making the sample sizes in 2s now instead of 4/6s... (US sizes)
    I've had samples before now from high street shops & they would've been a size US10. Its just an example for a buyer to see....

So the real question to the posters with knowledge of the fashion industry is, do you think things like this will help swing the trend back towards healthier models, or is this just a blip on the size zero radar? Those larger models look gorgeous, and the skinny ones look ridiculous in those dresses. Models just have no character or sex appeal any more, they're just stick insects. Maybe Jezi's stick insect Janet could model
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Purely PR imo.
    I have no industry inside view, I'm just a cynical old cunt!

(IMO the worse the recession the larger the models & as we're "coming out of a recession" (tell that to the people that live near me)... they will continue to be extra-skinny. Its all to do with affluence & not perceptions of beauty/health.)

I have a feeling they don't use bigger models beacuse it shows just how hidious most of the designs are.

The healthy models look fantastic
    "Cake is the language of love" - Dylan Moran

I noticed that as well. 20 yrs later and these models are now plus-sized. Depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by karistiona View Post
    So the real question to the posters with knowledge of the fashion industry is, do you think things like this will help swing the trend back towards healthier models, or is this just a blip on the size zero radar? Those larger models look gorgeous, and the skinny ones look ridiculous in those dresses. Models just have no character or sex appeal any more, they're just stick insects. Maybe Jezi's stick insect Janet could model
    I think its just a temporary thing, sadly. Everyone working in the fashion industry now has grown accustomed to casting size zeros. I think (hope) that this is the beginning of a gradual shift though. It may take years and years but hopefully they'll start casting more healthy, normalish models and the trend will begin to reverse. I think its already happening , albeit very slowly- like that other thread here, about the new model who has like 5lbs more on her than the other in-demand models. It isn't much, but its a start.

but then again, there's a whole new crop of up-and-coming photographers and many of them refuse to work with anyone over certain (incredibly small and disgusting) measurements. So maybe there won't be a reversal. I don't know how it will play out.

Yes! I loved the looks of the 90's supermodels. Still thin but they had enough meat on their bones so they had curves and muscle tone. And enough energy to hold themselves upright.

Sorry guys, but the above models measurements don't make them plus sized, they make them about a US 2 or 4.

A body measurement of a 34" hip, would put you in a skirt with a 36" high hip and a 39" low hip. That's a US misses size 4. More likely in a 2, with a garment measuring 35" high hip and a 38" low hip. So Turlington & Harlow would be size 2's or 4's. Evangelista probably a 4. Schiffer might have needed a 6 on top, but was most likely also a 4 on the bottom.

A 34" bust (body measurement) would be a size 4 on top as well. Sometimes a size 2.

Part of the reason that they are percieved as bigger was the clothing styles, and the styling of the photos. Very over the top glam, super womanly hair and makeup, as opposed to the styling currently used in photos, which is more youthful and childlike.

But based on the measurements as listed in this thread, the largest of them was a US 6.

A US Misses 8 would have a body (not garment) measurement of 35.5" bust/ 27.5" waist/ 35" high hip/ 38" low hip/ 15.25" cross shoulder.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; September 20th, 2009 at 11:39 PM.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

^and 20 years ago they would all have been a size US 6... Because the clothes sizes have changed.
    A UK size 10 is a 34" hip... (or used to be... We actually do have some standardisation of sizes but not much)

If those girls are fat I must be a hippo.
    we don't have to make love to have an orgasm

I think all the girls looked good. The "skinny" ones weren't that skinny, you see, their legs were shapely and muscly, and they didn't look starved.
    The meatier ones looked good, especially the first one, the second has some flab but both have great legs and knitwear does look better on an hourglass than on a stick.

In my ideal (and naive) world models could model clothes being at their own personal right weight. Everyone keeps forgetting about the bone structure, how heavy one's bones are - you cannot base your judgment on BMI alone.

And genetics: some people (I'm certainly not one of them) are just genetically skinny. Thin bones, delicate bone structure plus superfast metabolism. But noone would believe them when they say they don't have an eating disorder, so they get harrassed for that, soon they would be banned from working, not because they look bad on the catwalk, or because no designer envisioned the clothes on them - they would get banned simply because of an artificial number (BMI) that has nothing to do with their actual health. And that is injustice too, same as banning models being "over" a certain artificial number that denotes their weight.

I think a creator who dreams up clothes should decide what size models s/he wants to use. And that could include a range from size 0 (the natural size 0s) to "plus size" models (who are plus in the world of catwalk in real world they are nowhere near plus) and everything in between. If there's an equal opportunity for all sizes to get work, I don't think not naturally skinny people would starve themselves to death - they would get work not that skinny too. (a note: if the creator/designer who is at the top and models would do anything just to work with uses only size 00 only, s/he can be named and shamed for any skinniness with ED)

As usual, the middle path is the most balanced but everyone cries out if they encounter extremes. So it'd be either superskinny or plus size that make the headlines so they will be used to get the attention.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information